Easy guide to pass Canada's drone pilot certificate
123119 137 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Mavic Pro3 Posted at 4-29 22:08
I just wrote the exam and I felt that by reading the gazette and googling was enough to pass. I read the gazette for 30 minutes and tried and passed the exam. I think that reading anything else would be a waste of time. Good luck all!!

I guess it all depend what questions you get. I got only 4 questions that were related to drones. All the rest was total utter crap. I passed with 68% and only got about half of the time because their stupid web site crashed with a server error and lost about 30 minutes time because the page would not refresh properp and I got a bad gateway error page! When it did properly refresh, I had 16 minutes left instead of 45 to answer 12 questions absolutely not related to flying a drone. Technical questions about the flap on an airplane wing??? In what manual can I find the aeronautical radio frenquencies??? what's the name of a cold downword wind???  a few questions on airport maps???? sure... and out of the 4 questions related to drones, one did not match my experience on drone. The 3 bahavior of a return home button, all 4 choice of questions did not match what my drone does!!! so I picked one I tought was more related, but none were the correct behavior for my drone as none of the response had a raise in altitude. weird!

It is a test that has only one purpose, to limit the number of people who will fly a drone, and another purpose is to collect money. They should make it FREE!!
2020-5-27
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Daniella3d Posted at 5-27 03:22
I guess it all depend what questions you get. I got only 4 questions that were related to drones. All the rest was total utter crap. I passed with 68% and only got about half of the time because their stupid web site crashed with a server error and lost about 30 minutes time because the page would not refresh properp and I got a bad gateway error page! When it did properly refresh, I had 16 minutes left instead of 45 to answer 12 questions absolutely not related to flying a drone. Technical questions about the flap on an airplane wing??? In what manual can I find the aeronautical radio frenquencies??? what's the name of a cold downword wind???  a few questions on airport maps???? sure... and out of the 4 questions related to drones, one did not match my experience on drone. The 3 bahavior of a return home button, all 4 choice of questions did not match what my drone does!!! so I picked one I tought was more related, but none were the correct behavior for my drone as none of the response had a raise in altitude. weird!

It is a test that has only one purpose, to limit the number of people who will fly a drone, and another purpose is to collect money. They should make it FREE!!

Here is the breakdown of the result I got...and some of the questions I missed where related to :

01 AIR LAW, AIR TRAFFIC RULES AND PROCEDURES
10 out of 14 questions were answered correctly.
You may want to review the following:
01 AERONAUTICS ACT AND CANADIAN AVIATION REGULATIONS (CARS)
03 AERODROMES AND AIRPORTS
Review definition of an Aerodrome.
06 AIRSPACE STRUCTURE, CLASSIFICATION AND USE
01 AIRCRAFT OPERATING RESTRICTIONS AND HAZARDS TO AVIATION SAFETY
Review the relevant information in CAR 901.32.
04 BASIC OPERATIONS
Recall the regulations regarding operations at an aerodrome.

02 RPAS AIRFRAMES, POWER PLANTS, PROPULSION AND SYSTEMS
All questions were answered correctly.

03 HUMAN FACTORS
1 out of 2 questions were answered correctly.
04 PILOT - EQUIPMENT/MATERIALS RELATIONSHIP
Review pilot-equipment relationship in Human Factors in Aviation - Basic Handbook.

04 METEOROLOGY
All questions were answered correctly.

05 NAVIGATION
2 out of 4 questions were answered correctly.
05 FLIGHT PLANNING
01 NOTAM
Review how to read and submit a NOTAM.
03 EFFECT OF WIND ON RANGE AND ENDURANCE
Review wind effect on RPAS.

06 FLIGHT OPERATIONS
4 out of 5 questions were answered correctly.
01 PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES
03 WINTER OPS
Review winter operations.

07 THEORY OF FLIGHT
1 out of 2 questions were answered correctly.
07 DESIGN OF THE WING
Review aerofoil design and function.

08 RADIOTELEPHONY
2 out of 4 questions were answered correctly.
02 GROUND CREWMEMBER RADIO COMMUNICATIONS
Recall the requirements to operate in controlled airspace.
2020-5-27
Use props
Setoka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27041 ft
Canada

Nearly completed with a few questions left and bad gateway so will have to try again some other time i guess

2020-7-17
Use props
djiuser_TcWBzhgLVPOd
lvl.1

Canada

This was super helpful along with the use of google. Thank you for sharing. Passed the exam on first attempt!
Make sure to read questions more than once and thoroughly understand them. A lot of them were quick tricky and had to re-read some of them to know what to even look for.
2020-12-12
Use props
hathanh_phu
New

Canada

fansc9d6728d Posted at 2019-5-9 18:32
What a mixed bag of questions!
Most of the questions were covered in an online course I did, but there were still a few oddball questions that I had to guess at. Many were very easy and common sense though!

Can you share what document source for the test? Thank you!
2021-8-30
Use props
Carlos R. Mata Roman
New

Canada

Hi there,

I'm just curious. Is there any international licenses for flying drones?

What if you are a frequently travel person? Do you need to get a license every single time you enter to a country?

Thanks for the help.
2022-3-27
Use props
djiuser_qtVG6rSpkmk2
lvl.2

Canada

Carlos R. Mata Roman Posted at 3-27 09:23
Hi there,

I'm just curious. Is there any international licenses for flying drones?

You need to check into local regulations, google the country+ drone laws. Sometimes you have to take a small exam, sometimes you pay a small fee, and sometimes nothing. It's all different
2022-5-1
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

Took goddamn exam 4 times and still fail. Its more harder than taking an easy driving test. Screw the dji drones exam test. Id rather race people on the streets illegally which is easier than getting a fin drone license. Returning this garbage back
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

omi454545 Posted at 6-22 00:05
Took goddamn exam 4 times and still fail. Its more harder than taking an easy driving test. Screw the dji drones exam test. Id rather race people on the streets illegally which is easier than getting a fin drone license. Returning this garbage back

All I want to cruise in the park without any people and im not allowed that. Yet ive been racing people on the streets illegaly for years without any issues. Its not like im buying a fin rocket to fly. Pathetic. Fthis F regulations. I'm done with drone. I'll use my 5.0 mustand to race people on the street its more fun than this fin headache.
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

omi454545 Posted at 6-22 00:07
All I want to cruise in the park without any people and im not allowed that. Yet ive been racing people on the streets illegaly for years without any issues. Its not like im buying a fin rocket to fly. Pathetic. Fthis F regulations. I'm done with drone. I'll use my 5.0 mustand to race people on the street its more fun than this fin headache.

Thank god i have 30 days to return my dji drone, and keep my 1400
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

marcovth Posted at 2019-3-9 11:49
90% Of current drone users are doing this occasionally maybe 5 6 times a year on a day out, and they absolutely don't care about commercial operations.

I can tell you now that half of those will not fly anymore next year or fly illegally in remote enough areas.

Stick with racing on the streets illegaly. Much more fun than getting an exam that I have no clue about. Ive been flying drones perfectly safe yet I cant pass this fin exam. I cant understand half of the questions. If I wanted to be a pilot i could understand. F drones. il;l stick with illegal racing on the streets.
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

Google is fin useless. If it was good Id find answers. Cant understand 70 % of these exam questions.
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 2019-1-30 14:51
I fully support the move.

Moving to Switzerland. No need for these stupid Canadian regulations. Canada has too many regulations. A simple drone that flies over mouintains and lakes has exam harder than driving a car. I drive Uhal truck that is way more dangerous than this drone. Canada sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

Nicoricosancho Posted at 2019-3-17 12:16
illegal to do so my friend. the exam is quite easy to pass with the tips i gave in thread 1

easy my ass....its more easier to race my 5.0 mustang illegaly.
2022-6-22
Use props
omi454545
lvl.1

Canada

marcovth Posted at 2019-3-9 11:49
90% Of current drone users are doing this occasionally maybe 5 6 times a year on a day out, and they absolutely don't care about commercial operations.

I can tell you now that half of those will not fly anymore next year or fly illegally in remote enough areas.

That is why i returned my DJI FPV. Too much hassle. I'm happier with racing my car on the streets. More fun and no headache.
2022-6-22
Use props
misterq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4970 ft
Canada

Ha! I came here before the exam to get the docs ready. Thought I'd need to study. Ended up completely winging it. I referenced the docs maybe 2 or 3 times. Everything else I got the answers either through common sense or some creative Googling. Passed with a 91. Defnitely some super technical questions but to anyone reading this, it's really not as hard as it seems if you know how to search.
2023-2-28
Use props
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

I find the Basic Flight Certificate process a tad ludicrous. You are unlikely to promote knowledgeable drone pilots with an exam which is only very distantly related to actually drone piloting yet can be easily passed by a combination of common sense and google inquiries. I took it without prior study and received 86% and it took about 15 minutes. The government may as well just give you the certificate directly in exchange for the money - because the way it's setup it is far more a test of google skills than drone pilot skills!
2023-2-28
Use props
Ryan70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6556680 ft
United States

ff22 Posted at 2019-1-22 15:34
Foreigners need not apply!

Wrong, yes you do per Transport Canada. You MUST have a license regardless of your intentions of flight.
2023-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules