Crystal Syk monitor
803 5 2019-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

I am thinking of buying the Crystal Sky 7.85" ultrabright monitor for better brightness compared to my Ipad air.  But, I was wondering.  This monitor, which is an android device has been out for some time now and I am wondering if it is advisable to buy it since its cpu probably isn't as fast as newer devices.  At $1000, its a big expenditure for me and I hope that I wont be disappointed.  I would like to hear the recommendations of crystal sky users and whether they think it's wise to spend that much on an android device that is now several years old.  Any input is appreciated.

--Jim

Burbank, CA
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jim Watkins. Thank you for raising this inquiry today about the DJI Crystalsky. The Crystalsky is created for outdoor aerial imaging, the DJI CrystalSky monitor features an ultra-bright screen that is clearly visible in sunlight. It is designed from the ground up to work seamlessly with the DJI GO/DJI GO 4 app, giving camera operators total control. For additional rerference I will post a link where you can find the overview and the specifications of the DJI Crystalsky. Thank you

https://www.dji.com/crystalsky?site=brandsite&from=nav
2019-1-14
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I like my one but was surprised it still uses Android 5.1.1 Security Patch 2015-12-01

The only thing I miss on it is an app or option to record the screen (it has an option for still screen dumps).

Also of course the mounting bracket to put it on your controller is an additional purchase.

The new controller for the Mavic Pro 2 is evidently based on Android 7.x
2019-1-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Jim,

Yes, buying a CrystalSky Ultra Brightness is a big expenditure, but it is also a very good investment.  The Ultra also handles anything DJI throws at it now and in the foreseeable future.  I really like the battery system.

The CrystalSky System is also not an either or system.  I fly my High Brightness with a sunshade and mat finish screen protector.  The same can be done with the Ultra.  My CrystalSky System is also interchangeable with my nVidia Shield K1.  The CrystalSky requires an $80 mount that secures the CrystalSky monitor with a cam lever to the remote controller.  The Inspire 2/Cendence Remote Controller Mobile Device Holder (USD $29 - DJI Store) fits into the same cam lever and holds my nVidia Shield K1 (I also have a sunshade and mat screen protector for the nVidia).

My P4 and P4 Pro fly DJI GO 4, Litchi and other flight programs as needed.  Everything swaps out quickly.  I even made my own sunshade using the DJI model to save money.

Many people think of the CrystalSky monitors as expensive and dedicated systems, but DJI provides adapters that give the CrystalSky System the flexibility to quickly adapt to your needs.  Yes, it can get expensive but there are work-arounds.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-15
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-15 01:16
Aloha Jim,

Yes, buying a CrystalSky Ultra Brightness is a big expenditure, but it is also a very good investment.  The Ultra also handles anything DJI throws at it now and in the foreseeable future.  I really like the battery system.

THanks for the details.  So, I use Litchi maybe a third of the time and the DJIGo app the rest.  Can you use Litchi on the Crystalsky?  Also, you say you are using matt screen protectors.  Does that mean that the screen is too glossy and reflective without the screen protector?  Where can I buy the screen protectors?

--Jim
2019-1-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 1-15 07:59
THanks for the details.  So, I use Litchi maybe a third of the time and the DJIGo app the rest.  Can you use Litchi on the Crystalsky?  Also, you say you are using matt screen protectors.  Does that mean that the screen is too glossy and reflective without the screen protector?  Where can I buy the screen protectors?

--Jim

Aloha Jim,

The last time I checked, you had to buy a new copy of Litchi to set it up on the CrystalSky.  That is why I just use my nVidia instead.  Since you already have a copy of Litchi, that may be your problem to.  You might want to write or call Litchi to see if there is a way around that problem now.  (I tried almost a year ago.)  Maybe Litchi can swap you a registration code or something.  It would be worth a try since you are already a satisfied customer.

I think the CrystalSky screens are too glossy so I used my mat finish screen protectors for the CrystalSky I bought.  (A friend of mine has two company owned CrystalSky Ultra displays and the reflection does not bother him.)  

The protectors I used were for my 10.1 inch display.  They are available at Amazon, most phone outlets and most office supply stores.  As long as you get a screen protector larger than the CrystalSky screen (6.5 inch X 5 inch) you can cut it down with a razor knife or scissors if you have a steady hand.  YouTube has a great many videos on installing screen protectors.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules