Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
External MIC: does OP record stereo?
1687 11 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marcel_V
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi,

Anyone tried an external Stereo MIC and can they confirm OP is recording Stereo sound?

Or @DJI moderators can you confirm, and if not can you confirm it is on the to-do list?

Would greatly enhance the experience...

Thanks!

2019-1-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

It may do if you turn off the noise canceling mode in the app but the audio is recorded at 192kb/s @ 48kHz. 2 channels, AAC-LC.  A bit short of high fidelity for a stereo image, but who knows until one tries?
2019-1-15
Use props
Marcel_V
lvl.1
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-15 04:35
It may do if you turn off the noise canceling mode in the app but the audio is recorded at 192kb/s @ 48kHz. 2 channels, AAC-LC.  A bit short of high fidelity for a stereo image, but who knows until one tries?

Hi,
Thanks and hope someone tries or can clarify.
When an external MIC is connected you would expect the noise cancelling to be switched off automatically anyway, because it makes no sense to keep it on.
Should be working without needing the app
2019-1-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

We will have to wait and see or for a mod reply.
I do have one gripe with this adaptor though and that's by the time you add the length of the mic jack as well to the socket, that's a lot of potential leverage against the base socket.
Once I have added everything I want to use to the pocket it will look like something the Borg would be using.
2019-1-15
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-15 04:51
We will have to wait and see or for a mod reply.
I do have one gripe with this adaptor though and that's by the time you add the length of the mic jack as well to the socket, that's a lot of potential leverage against the base socket.
Once I have added everything I want to use to the pocket it will look like something the Borg would be using.

I agree that the audio adaptor design is very long... it would have been better something else
2019-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This link is the first one I’ve seen who has tested and it looks like it will record in stereo.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 839&pid=1721981
2019-1-15
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-15 14:13
This link is the first one I’ve seen who has tested and it looks like it will record in stereo.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=177839&pid=1721981

The tester did not test with any stereo mic. The existence of two channels is not an indication of stereo. Both channels may be identical (as they certainly are if the mic is mono). The Yi 4K+ usb-C 3.5mm adapter, for example, is mono only (and provides two channels). So it is not obvious the Osmo Pocket external adapter will support stereo if the mics are stereo. Stereo mics and stereo audio are useful for capturing ambient sounds, which for videography whose purpose is to convey a place, rather than to Vlog, are important.
2019-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

markr041 Posted at 1-15 15:19
The tester did not test with any stereo mic. The existence of two channels is not an indication of stereo. Both channels may be identical (as they certainly are if the mic is mono). The Yi 4K+ usb-C 3.5mm adapter, for example, is mono only (and provides two channels). So it is not obvious the Osmo Pocket external adapter will support stereo if the mics are stereo. Stereo mics and stereo audio are useful for capturing ambient sounds, which for videography whose purpose is to convey a place, rather than to Vlog, are important.

I don’t know for sure and until we get further tests I suppose we won’t know, maybe a moderator will hop on board here or check with engineer.
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching out. Regarding your concern, Osmo Pocket recorded sound is a two-channel stereo. The virtual surround audio system creates the perception that there are many more sources of sound so that people can enjoy the experience of surround sound. Dual channel recording allows you to obtain a stereo recording with two distinct channels even only one microphone is equipped. I hope this helps. Thank you.
2019-1-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-18 16:06
Hi, thanks for reaching out. Regarding your concern, Osmo Pocket recorded sound is a two-channel stereo. The virtual surround audio system creates the perception that there are many more sources of sound so that people can enjoy the experience of surround sound. Dual channel recording allows you to obtain a stereo recording with two distinct channels even only one microphone is equipped. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Sorry Natalia, but that is a very confusing reply. Are you saying the Osmo Pocket is trying to create a binaural sound from two sound sources as in phase-related surround sound?
2019-1-18
Use props
B_Gears
lvl.2
United States

Here is a link to a live recording I made with the Osmo Pocket camera. You can evaluate the sound for yourself.
2019-1-27
Use props
B_Gears
lvl.2
United States

2019-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules