Issues with panoramic stitching
1846 7 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The_Pedro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155292 ft
Portugal

I'm playing around with OP's pano mode, and stitching my photos both trough the DJI Mimo app and DJI Media maker. I thought that the only difference between both methods would be a resolution increase but that's not really the case. DJI Mimo generates consistent results that appear to take advantage of the 9 source photos, albeit at a lower resolution and with a slight distortion. DJI Media Maker produces higher quality images, and the stitching/distortion does appear to be better, however many of the final images appear cropped and/or with weird artefacts around the edges. Here are some examples:

The top image has less distortion and better quality, however DJI Media Maker seems to completely ignore the sky and crops it of the image.
(I read that some users where complaining about Media Maker only stitching 3 of the 9 images. This does not seem to be the case, it actually uses all of the 9 images but then crops out several parts, mostly sky but not always, making it seem that only 3 images where used. Selecting either the 360˚ or the 180˚ option doesn't seem to make any difference.)

Here is an example of a really cropped up photo. Once again the sky is cropped out taking out several elements with it. There where some obvious exposure issues in this image that perhaps lead to such a drastic cut, however the Mimo app version had none of these issues.

One last example. These two don't even look like the same image. Once again the distortion correction looks great in the image generated in Media Maker, and I don't even mind the cropped sky in this case, however the artefacts in the top right corner ruin everything.

When none of these issues occur DJI Media Maker is a great tool, but so far they seem to occur more often than not making the process of running all the photos trough the app a waste of time. I'll still try to use it for the best ones, hopping to be surprised by the outcome, if you have any hints on how to get better results I would love to hear them.
2019-1-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

If you have Photoshop Elements or similar try stitching in those programs. As with most panoramas, shooting anything other than straight ahead in a landscape is always going to produce problems. Also, I'm convinced that the Media Maker program doesn't make use of the DNG files which with such a dynamic contrast range across the image probably needs to.
2019-1-15
Use props
The_Pedro
lvl.4
Portugal

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-15 04:26
If you have Photoshop Elements or similar try stitching in those programs. As with most panoramas, shooting anything other than straight ahead in a landscape is always going to produce problems. Also, I'm convinced that the Media Maker program doesn't make use of the DNG files which with such a dynamic contrast range across the image probably needs to.

Thank you for the reply, and the hint. I just tried it and photoshop does seem to be the way to go.
2019-1-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The_Pedro Posted at 1-15 04:37
Thank you for the reply, and the hint. I just tried it and photoshop does seem to be the way to go.

Free apps from any manufacturer are often quick and convenient but not always the best solutions.
Some stills cameras free software is truly appalling. As with most still images, the wider you go, the more dynamic range you will probably need as you go from left to right. You can improve things a bit by avoiding being either at right angles or facing the sun but that is not always practical.
I think the cropping happens when it can't align odd verticals between the three horizontal pans but not 100% sure about that. Again, that happens to me as well when I'm not shooting perpendicular to the ground but not always. Instead, I get a fisheye effect.

Sub small.jpg

Try doing a 3x3x3. in Photoshop It's fun!
2019-1-15
Use props
The_Pedro
lvl.4
Portugal

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-15 05:02
Free apps from any manufacturer are often quick and convenient but not always the best solutions.
Some stills cameras free software is truly appalling. As with most still images, the wider you go, the more dynamic range you will probably need as you go from left to right. You can improve things a bit by avoiding being either at right angles or facing the sun but that is not always practical.
I think the cropping happens when it can't align odd verticals between the three horizontal pans but not 100% sure about that. Again, that happens to me as well when I'm not shooting perpendicular to the ground but not always. Instead, I get a fisheye effect.

Yep you're right about the verticals. It also seams that there's an issue with "empty areas" with is understandable as there's little to match. This perfectly perpendicular pano renders like this in Mimo and crashes Media Maker. No problem, like you said Photoshop is fun and I probably have it open for some other reason anyway so it is actually more convenient to me.

photo_20190113150852_6553749_0.jpg

2019-1-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The_Pedro Posted at 1-15 06:35
Yep you're right about the verticals. It also seams that there's an issue with "empty areas" with is understandable as there's little to match. This perfectly perpendicular pano renders like this in Mimo and crashes Media Maker. No problem, like you said Photoshop is fun and I probably have it open for some other reason anyway so it is actually more convenient to me.

[view_image]

I think where the app is looking at the jpegs and trying to match edges for the contrast, it is allowing parts of frames to blow out. Sometimes these areas are quite large and there is nothing you can do to pull them back. I'm not even sure the use of an ND filter will stop this. I have also found it impossible to try to blend these blown out areas into a gradual curve leaving what looks like an uneven blob of white nothing.
Where we don't get control of exposure in panoramas I think this could be a problem even shooting and using DNG files although it is sometimes easier to get a graduated tonal curve away from the offending area. Then again, if I was using a wide-angle DSLR lens I'd be fighting with flare and possible harder problems keeping verticals upright. Still, that's wide-angled work for you.
2019-1-15
Use props
Bill G
New
Flight distance : 139068 ft
United States

Can I do the stitching in PSE15?
2019-1-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Try Microsoft image composite editor.  Not as simple at the DJI Media program but it can produce good results with more end-user control.
2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules