Motor Noise - Normal?
9325 13 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Billitteri
lvl.1
United States

I've read a few threads on this topic, but I feel like I never landed on complete confirmation that my situation was the same as others'.

I currently own a Ronin S, Crane 2, and Moza Air 2 (because of extended return periods at B&H). The Crane 2 and the Moza Air 2 are essentially silent when stationary or moving slowly. I can hear them occasionally if I'm moving quickly, but otherwise, I can't hear them at all without putting my ear up against the motors.
The Ronin S, however, makes enough noise to hear from probably 3 feet away in a quiet room. That's not an issue for anything filmed with external audio or no audio, but if I have a mic on the gimbal, it'll pick up the motor noise.

I've pretty much decided against the Crane 2 at this point, despite the lighter weight and great case. I'm having trouble getting the Moza Air 2 to work the way I want (lots of shaking and odd behavior that I just can't fix. Too many detailed settings, no factory reset, and it seems like the auto-balance doesn't select ideal settings). So I'm leaning toward keeping the Ronin S, but the noise is bothering me, and if I can get the Moza Air 2 to behave, it's a very close battle for me.

Should the Ronin S make noise at rest, when perfectly balanced and confirmed in the app, and sitting stationary on a table? Or should it be essentially silent like the Crane 2 and Moza Air 2?

Thanks everyone!
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Billitteri, sorry for the trouble caused, may I verify the following info?
1. Did you get all the lock knobs tightened?
2. Did you try the Auto Tune?
3. Is the camera lens mounted properly?

If there is no luck, could you please share us a short sample video for further verification? Besides, we also need the screenshot the Parameter Settings in the APP when the gimbal is centered, especially the Stiffness and the Strength value, thank you.
2019-1-16
Use props
DmytroK
lvl.4
Ukraine

"The Ronin S, however, makes enough noise to hear from probably 3 feet away in a quiet room."

Mine is not silent either. It is always making a "whisper" noise when it is ON and not moving. It's not a problem for me at all, but could be an issue for an accurate audio recording in total silent situations, if your mike is close enough.

But I think, steadycam is made for moving, and if you walk or run - you'll make more noise for mike, than ronin.

2019-1-16
Use props
Billitteri
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-16 01:18
Hi Billitteri, sorry for the trouble caused, may I verify the following info?
1. Did you get all the lock knobs tightened?
2. Did you try the Auto Tune?

Hi Mindy,
I did get all the lock knobs tightened, mounted the lens properly, and ran the auto-tune.
After the auto-tune, I adjusted the stiffness and strength. While they did have an effect on the sound, it was still making audible noise. It's the normal sound I'd expect from a gimbal, kind of a light grinding sound, it's just louder than other gimbals I've used.
I have a video here:
I'll have to get my settings when I get home later tonight.

Thanks!
Mike
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Billitteri Posted at 1-17 08:07
Hi Mindy,
I did get all the lock knobs tightened, mounted the lens properly, and ran the auto-tune.
After the auto-tune, I adjusted the stiffness and strength. While they did have an effect on the sound, it was still making audible noise. It's the normal sound I'd expect from a gimbal, kind of a light grinding sound, it's just louder than other gimbals I've used.

Thanks for the video, please provide us the screenshot of settings at your most convenience so that we can forward to our engineers for further verification, thank you.
2019-1-18
Use props
Billitteri
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-18 05:16
Thanks for the video, please provide us the screenshot of settings at your most convenience so that we can forward to our engineers for further verification, thank you.

Sorry for the delay. Here are the requested stiffness and strength settings!
CE8BA42C-309D-4B3E-AD15-28D2957F3781.png
29BB6870-4F72-48CE-BD6A-0666002D7100.png
2019-1-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Billitteri Posted at 1-18 16:17
Sorry for the delay. Here are the requested stiffness and strength settings!

Thanks for the details, this issue has been escalated to our engineers for further verification, I will come back to you soon once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.
2019-1-18
Use props
djiuser_GHn9zpWtp599
New
Mexico

I am having the same thing happen to me. I've had it for two days and either I just noticed it or it began happening. Lowering the auto-tune settings to low or manually lowering the stiffness seems to help but I can hear it from about 6 inches away.

Any word from DJI on the issue?
2019-5-7
Use props
djiuser_PPQptO8P532r
New

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-18 23:44
Thanks for the details, this issue has been escalated to our engineers for further verification, I will come back to you soon once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.

I know what causes the sound but i dunno how it’s happening, as soon as i turn my camera on ( not connected to the ronin with any cables) the motor sounds starts. When camera is turned off , sound disappears.
2019-9-22
Use props
DmytroK
lvl.4

djiuser_PPQptO8P532r Posted at 9-22 01:02
I know what causes the sound but i dunno how it’s happening, as soon as i turn my camera on ( not connected to the ronin with any cables) the motor sounds starts. When camera is turned off , sound disappears.

Do you have IS lens or IBIS in camera?
2019-9-22
Use props
djiuser_xOFTVtgZHHJj
New

United States

I think the problem is with the "Stifness" setting, which I presume is what "Auto Tune" does.

Turn of all the sliders to the minimum under "Auto Tune" and the noise goes away.

I wonder if there is a clutch of some sort to give stiffness or if it is purely electrical signal to the motors. Either way the system is trying to constantly adjust stiffness even when the gimbal is stationary. Which is an issue that DJI will hopefully address with a firmware update.

It could also be that the camera/lens combo is light and the system is trying to overcompensate.

I am going to try with a heavier lens and let "Auto Tune" do it's thing and see if the problem persists.

Downside of reducing stiffness all the way down is you gimbal feels more fluid, which might be a plus.
2022-4-29
Use props
urbn-pxl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48655 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey, so I have the same issue with my new DJI Ronin RS3 that I got 2 days ago ... the same "whisper" sound it is louder in SuperSmooth mode and a little bit less in normal mode. It will go away when I reduce the Stiffness for Tilt, Roll and Pan to 10 (light clicking noise while reducing the values. This is with a Sony A7RIII + Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS. The gimbal is Balanced, almost perfect can't get the roll or tilt to be 100% no matter what I do... it's always a lil bit off when on a surface ...
2022-11-18
Use props
djiuser_0Vg20U1OGrmR
New

Cuba

Is possible that noise became with the firmware update?i just got the latest firmware version and when turn it on the noise begun ,my sample was a virgin one with zero noise ,never updated before ´till now !
2023-4-11
Use props
djiuser_enXTw06OsicD
New
Kazakhstan

urbn-pxl Posted at 2022-11-18 14:07
Hey, so I have the same issue with my new DJI Ronin RS3 that I got 2 days ago ... the same "whisper" sound it is louder in SuperSmooth mode and a little bit less in normal mode. It will go away when I reduce the Stiffness for Tilt, Roll and Pan to 10 (light clicking noise while reducing the values. This is with a Sony A7RIII + Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS. The gimbal is Balanced, almost perfect can't get the roll or tilt to be 100% no matter what I do... it's always a lil bit off when on a surface ... [view_image][view_image]

Hello! I have the same problem on my rs 3. How did you solve your problem?
2-18 05:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules