Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
As Drone Sales Soar, Vast Majority of Reports Remain Simple Sight...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,
     FYI!  Note the .pdf at the end.

AMA’s analysis also finds that some sightings appear to be users flying appropriately; “drone” continues to be a catch-all term for any object in the sky
A new analysis released today by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) reviews the 1,270 new unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) sightings reported by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) earlier this year. AMA’s analysis finds that the vast majority of these sightings are just that – sightings. Importantly, when releasing the latest data, the FAA specifically stated that no collision between civilian aircraft and a civilian drone operator has been confirmed.
“In comparison to the growing number of drone sales and operators, the total number of UAS reports in the FAA’s data is just a small fraction,” said Rich Hanson, President of AMA. “Safety has always been our number one priority. That’s why we’re encouraged to see that most of the reports are mere drone sightings and do not appear to pose serious safety risks.”

While the number of reports included in the FAA’s latest data set increased, it covered a longer time period and occurred within the context of an increase in the number of people flying UAS. According to the Consumer Technology Association, drone sales reached 700,000 units in 2015 and 2.4 million units in 2016, an increase of 112 percent. And in late March 2017, the FAA announced that more than 770,000 UAS operators have registered their drones with the FAA since the registration rule went into effect. The total number of drone sightings the FAA has reported – 2,616 since August 2015 – only accounts for 0.34 percent of the total number of registered operators.
Among the findings in AMA’s new analysis of the FAA drone data:

Consistent with what AMA found in the August 2015 and March 2016 data sets, some sightings included in the data set appear to involve people flying responsibly and in accordance with UAS guidelines. In the February 2017 data, AMA specifically identified 86 reports of drones flying at or below 400 feet.

Like the previous data sets, the February 2017 data contains reports of several objects other than drones, including balloons, birds, a parasail, a “blob” and a “silver box.” The term drone continues to be used as a “catch-all” for any object spotted in the sky.

While the FAA has expressed its intent to punish careless and reckless operators, law enforcement notifications continue to decline. In the August 2015 data, nearly 20 percent of reports were not referred to local law enforcement or law enforcement notification was unknown. To compare, in the March 2016 data that number was 29 percent, and in the February 2017 data that number is 30 percent.

The data includes 13 sightings that occurred in areas near wildfires or wildfire-related Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs). This is an increase from the previous two datasets in which only 4 of such sightings were reported.
AMA’s complete analysis of the FAA data can be found here:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/UASSightingsAnalysisbyAMA5-10-17.pdf

Aloha and Drone On!

2019-1-16
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

Thanks for sharing.
I was just watching this so figured you'd recognize some areas.

2019-1-16
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Zero Effs Posted at 1-16 20:37
Thanks for sharing.
I was just watching this so figured you'd recognize some areas.

Aloha Zero,

Well, that was interesting.  His flight was very illegal since it was way beyond VLOS.  I am familiar with both where he took off from and where he went on Lanai.  I have camped half way between Halepalaoa, the hotel, and Ka'a Fishpond to the North.  Odd that he did not notice the two axis deer on the beach when he arrived near Halepalaoa.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

With the recent events in UK ... Gatwick and last few days Heathrow ... and the subsequent comments from authorities that no UAV's may have been flying ... I am of the opinion that data promulgated may contain an artificially high number - where all reported sightings are included, regardless of whether true or not.

It seems that its fair game these days to shout ... DRONE ..... and I wonder how many claims are made just to see what happens ? There are some crazy people out there that think it funny to disrupt others lives.

nigel
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing this informative information with us today and thank you for your support.
2019-1-17
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-17 00:59
Aloha Zero,

Well, that was interesting.  His flight was very illegal since it was way beyond VLOS.  I am familiar with both where he took off from and where he went on Lanai.  I have camped half way between Halepalaoa, the hotel, and Ka'a Fishpond to the North.  Odd that he did not notice the two axis deer on the beach when he arrived near Halepalaoa.

This guy and his group do it often according to his own remarks and videos. Some authority somewhere needs to contact people like this to make them fly straight so to speak. Speaking of which I read a thread on here of others using drones in other restricted areas and ways. It doesn't help anyone when there are those willing to do whatever they want.

Now for the positive. Hawaii is one awesome place man. I bet you get some great video and shots down there which brings up this recent cool Hawaiian event:

Biggest Great White Shark On Record Seen In Hawaiian Waters
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/201 ... sing-hawaii-waters/

Divers Swim With One Of Biggest Great White Sharks Off Hawaii
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46909353

2019-1-17
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

solentlife Posted at 1-17 05:36
With the recent events in UK ... Gatwick and last few days Heathrow ... and the subsequent comments from authorities that no UAV's may have been flying ... I am of the opinion that data promulgated may contain an artificially high number - where all reported sightings are included, regardless of whether true or not.

It seems that its fair game these days to shout ... DRONE ..... and I wonder how many claims are made just to see what happens ? There are some crazy people out there that think it funny to disrupt others lives.

Kind of like on here right? Ha!
2019-1-17
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-17 05:36

Aloha nigel,

Good points, like the floating plastic bags that have reached altitude - DRONE!!!!!!  Stay warm!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Zero Effs Posted at 1-17 12:27
This guy and his group do it often according to his own remarks and videos. Some authority somewhere needs to contact people like this to make them fly straight so to speak. Speaking of which I read a thread on here of others using drones in other restricted areas and ways. It doesn't help anyone when there are those willing to do whatever they want.

Now for the positive. Hawaii is one awesome place man. I bet you get some great video and shots down there which brings up this recent cool Hawaiian event:

Aloha Zero,

And the FAA used to hunt for them a few years ago.  After a court loss, they called the dogs off.  Now, we are pretty much self policing.  But, it is hardly ever the way it seems.  Somebody should talk to the guy in the video like you suggested and I am sure some one has.  But, will he do anything?  I use Parabolics, but not for distance as much as it is for video transmission strength and jungle penetration.

On this Forum, contributors often get chastised and it is often not like it seemed as I noted.  But we need to have the discussion.

That shark has a name and a history.  She has been tracked for decades.  Oh, the distance a shark has to travel for a good meal.  Great White Sharks are a rarity here but Tiger Sharks live here.  The Tigers have preferred habitats, behaviors and habits.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-17 11:29
Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing this informative information with us today and thank you for your support.

Aloha Stephen,

Good to hear from you again.  Happy New Year!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi and good day and thank you Cetacean. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-1-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Funny you mention Tigers ....

Everyone talks about Great Whites ... but rarely you read about Tigers which can account for more attacks than GW's ... the case of ships going down in WW2 case in point ... so many in the water not lost to drowning - but to Tigers.

OK a different story on Tiger's ..... some will know this but Singapore is nicknamed the Lion City ... by mistake !! A visitor to the area saw his first Tiger and basically had never seen one before and called it a Lion. From that day - Lion City it has been - even though Lions have never roamed in that region ... (yes he was a Brit !)

Nigel
2019-1-18
Use props
Tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

I don't know, FSDO is all over these people now, just contact your local office and make a report.
I know here in Arizona and New Mexico FSDO follows up all reports.
2019-1-18
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

Tree Posted at 1-18 11:44
I don't know, FSDO is all over these people now, just contact your local office and make a report.

I've called the Scottsdale FSDO several times about conventional aircraft violations and issues and they never did a thing. In fact they always made excuses whenever any follow-up occurred. Perhaps they have something against drones? LOL

If you can't get results with the FAA then that's what politicians are for but truth be told I won't hold my breath for them either.
2019-1-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-18 09:43
Funny you mention Tigers ....

Everyone talks about Great Whites ... but rarely you read about Tigers which can account for more attacks than GW's ... the case of ships going down in WW2 case in point ... so many in the water not lost to drowning - but to Tigers.

Aloha Nigel,

Tigers are tropical and Great Whites are temperate or so the saying goes in the shark world.  The story of the Indianapolis is a sad case in point.  (Did you hear they found the USS Indianapolis?)  Because of these environmental preferences, our visiting Great White is well known.  (Tracking transponders have really brought us up to speed on shark migrations.)

I read that Singapore story a while back (in the founding of Singapore).  I wonder if the "Lion" Dance is called such because it originated in Singapore?  They got no lions in the cultural areas of Eastern China and the "lions" look a lot like tigers.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tree Posted at 1-18 11:44

Aloha Tree,

The FAA has districts and each district has an administrator with jurisdictional flexibility.  Just like with National Parks, you can fly in the park if the Superintendent gives you a permit; any FSDO manager will act according to their options and political pressure.  When your FSDO office gets shut down in court like happened on the East Coast, that FSDO will get a little less aggressive because it is too much headache.

It is a long distance between the East Coast and Santa Fe.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Czechia

As Drone sales soar .....

I think that similar to X-Box .. Gameboys etc. - the fashionable buying of Multi-Rotors may die down after a while. Sales are probably influenced partly by Media hype ... so we get the - loony - I must have some o'that - people buying. Once the media novelty reduces ... sales will likely drop of. Leaving it like most other aspects of RC / Modelling  - the people really interested in the hobby.

There is one pet factor I have and I wish could be pushed so the 'stigma' could be washed away ... lose the name DRONE. I have so many examples observed where talking to spectators ... using the term Multi-rotor is far more accepted. Even to the point that mentioning DRONE in same conversation after calling mine a MR and some have actually replied ... Oh but thats different ... yours is a Multi Rotor.
The term DRONE itself produces visions of attack UAV's .. of machines that are 'unfriendly' ... but give our DJI and others the correct term of Multi Rotor and that idea falls away.

Personally I feel that WE do ourselves no favours at all by using the term DRONE ..

You may agree or not ... but just as a test - next time talking to anyone interested in what you are flying ... use term Multi Rotor ... see what the reaction is ... if they say - Arrr Yes but isn't it a Drone .. you should reply ... No its actually a Multi Rotor - a Hobby machine ...
You may be surprised at the change in attitude.

Nigel
2019-1-19
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

solentlife Posted at 1-19 07:49

I think that similar to X-Box .. Gameboys etc. - the fashionable buying of Multi-Rotors may die down after a while. Sales are probably influenced partly by Media hype ... so we get the - loony - I must have some o'that - people buying. Once the media novelty reduces ... sales will likely drop of. Leaving it like most other aspects of RC / Modelling  - the people really interested in the hobby.

This thread on Phantom Pilots (which you've probably read) skirts around the prevailing negative bias and connotations you mention.  This prevalence exists in many areas and is inherent in any UAV discussion so the positive dialogue you refer to is one that should be supported at all times if not just for the obvious legal protections needed to preserve all UAV operations.

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... -is-illegal.104094/
2019-1-19
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-18 15:48
Aloha Tree,

The FAA has districts and each district has an administrator with jurisdictional flexibility.  Just like with National Parks, you can fly in the park if the Superintendent gives you a permit; any FSDO manager will act according to their options and political pressure.  When your FSDO office gets shut down in court like happened on the East Coast, that FSDO will get a little less aggressive because it is too much headache.

Unfortunately the FAA  infected with inequities and rife with localized arbitrary administration has somehow become a lucrative politicized litigious weapon on top of that. Perhaps a combination of civilian and federal oversight would be best.

In the extreme here is a thread that covers an example of a systemic FSDO administration issue.

What is the process to contest a local FAA (FSDO) policy which appears to contradict their guidance?
https://aviation.stackexchange.c ... h-appears-to-contra

In yet another extreme example a thread about FAA and FSDO overreach and the spectre of frivolous litigation.

Be Nice - Or I'll Sue: Is This a New Perigee for FAA/Customer Relations - Cox & Novickis v. 5-State Helicopters, Inc. - A Clash of Personal and Public
Rights

https://scholar.smu.edu/cgi/view ... e=1074&context=jalc

And one more example of the kakistrocratic FAA underscored by at best its willful malfeasance.

An FAA investigation warned of 'potential tragedies.' Officials hid it from the public.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/bu ... hid-it-from/2323698

With problems like these among so many others it is easy to see why the FAA may become the primary causation of turbulent times for UAV operations due to their nascency.
2019-1-19
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-19 07:49

I think that similar to X-Box .. Gameboys etc. - the fashionable buying of Multi-Rotors may die down after a while. Sales are probably influenced partly by Media hype ... so we get the - loony - I must have some o'that - people buying. Once the media novelty reduces ... sales will likely drop of. Leaving it like most other aspects of RC / Modelling  - the people really interested in the hobby.

Aloha Nigel,

Yes, I agree.  Usually and most often in the past, I have referred to our birds as quadcopters.  Recently, I have started using the term drone again just to see if attitudes have changed.  Your arguments are well received and understood.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-19
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Zero Effs Posted at 1-19 13:46
Unfortunately — the FAA  — infected with inequities and rife with localized arbitrary administration — has somehow become a lucrative politicized litigious weapon on top of that. Perhaps a combination of civilian and federal oversight would be best.

In the extreme here is a thread that covers an example of a systemic FSDO administration issue.

Aloha Zero,

Fortunately, my experience is not at all like what you are suggesting.  I have had communication with the Pacific district administrator and it was very reasonable.  I later read that my position had been implemented.  Everything I have read showed the FAA trying hard to accommodate mUAVs into the National Airspace fair and equitably.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-19
Use props
Zero Effs
lvl.4

United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-19 20:16
Aloha Zero,

Fortunately, my experience is not at all like what you are suggesting.  I have had communication with the Pacific district administrator and it was very reasonable.  I later read that my position had been implemented.  Everything I have read showed the FAA trying hard to accommodate mUAVs into the National Airspace fair and equitably.

That's great Cetacean. Those working there with you are the exception and a good example.

Stay airborne!
2019-1-19
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Czechia

As with all activities that encroach into public areas and concerns - its down to showing and explaining the good side. We cannot expect any Govt or Authoritarian body to advertise for us UNLESS that person themselves is a 'flyer' !  But then a lone guy in such often gets put aside !

We need to get across to public - we are NOT the bad guys ... like every popular activity - it attracts the 'moronic' who revel in breaking the rules.

Action on our part to 1. Alienate the bad guys and publicise who they are and why ... 2. Participate in shows and fete's - to demonstrate what we have in SAFE and orderly manner .... 3. And this is to me an important part - join a club or group to collectively improve the image of our hobby.

#3 is very important because that becomes the Community Organised Body that FAA and others talk about. Over here in EU - flyers if abiding by Club Rules are exempted from the stringent commercial rules carried over from the airline side.

Too often I read the bleating and moaning of flyers about legislation and unfair authorities ... as a member of LARPAS - Latvian body advising CAA and through that EU - we know that getting together into organised groups / clubs make a great difference.

FAA and AMA in USA are very large and can get bogged down ... local clubs and groups can help and make a world of difference to those two bodies. This applies to other countries as well ... who have their bodies. Look at UK with SMAE / BMFA ...much better relations even with recent events ... because BMFA does talk to Clubs.

Nigel
2019-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules