batteries
2019-1-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Unfortunately can't see much ... Are they swollen? If that's the case, they're no good anymore
2019-1-19
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Yes they are faulty - get rid of them safely and buy new ones my friend.
2019-1-19
Use props
fans795f54b0
lvl.1
Gabon

All like this in one month!

2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do apologize for the incovenience. If the batteries have a swollen part and they're still within the warranty, you may contact our support using the link below for further help. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for the support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-1-20
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have stored them charged,  time and again for the ten days......that's most likely the cause.

I have never seen that many batts puffed in 1 place.

Randy
2019-3-26
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I seem to have problems with all my batteries causing the bird to want o lay down and rest almost immediately after take off however no physical indication, no puffyness. I had it over at DJI store Winwood AKA Drone Nerds for another issue and Drew the tech
found that my battery had a bad cell even though the app is not warning about it, The bird takes off and within seconds just lands, I'm bummed as I had to in addition to the unrelated repair, cough up $400+ for 2 new TB48s OUCH!!!, now we will see if the bird flies like it should, Drew tells me his test flight with his own battery was quite successful with no issues whatsoever.
2019-3-28
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 3-28 12:44
I seem to have problems with all my batteries causing the bird to want o lay down and rest almost immediately after take off however no physical indication, no puffyness. I had it over at DJI store Winwood AKA Drone Nerds for another issue and Drew the tech
found that my battery had a bad cell even though the app is not warning about it, The bird takes off and within seconds just lands, I'm bummed as I had to in addition to the unrelated repair, cough up $400+ for 2 new TB48s OUCH!!!, now we will see if the bird flies like it should, Drew tells me his test flight with his own battery was quite successful with no issues whatsoever.

1- How old are your batteries
2- How many times charged
3- Have you looked at the "cell voltages" immediately after take off and watched what happens?
     NOT the percentage,  but the actual cell voltages...there are 6

Randy

2019-4-4
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 4-4 18:33
1- How old are your batteries
2- How many times charged
3- Have you looked at the "cell voltages" immediately after take off and watched what happens?

Yeah, I actually recently did an app screen capture of all the batteries. It's pretty wild how once you put a load on them they totally freak not to mention how some crucial systems on the bird begin to freak, what with motor overloads, battery overheating due to discharge, no video signal etc. Brand new battery so far has show to be solid as a rock producing solid image transmission and no warnings to speak of, lLike night and day. Now its see, the bird is about 2 1/2 years old my 47 and 48#2 are about 4 months newer 48#1 as old as the bird and the last 48 was a used purchase I've had for about 6 months maybe. we are looking at 60 charges for the 47, 42 for 48#2 which goes into the red the second you take off and wants to lay down for a nap, 37 for 48#3 and 26 for 48#4 which is the one I got used from FDS that one was well maintained  is pretty solid until voltage starts getting into the red where it shows a bit off balance . I've charged only one of the 2 new ones, and it is absolutely solid as a rock not to mention all processes including image transmission is solid. Granted test was not at any distance, but I had to make sure that my issues were all or mostly battery related. I was under the impression that I had maintained the batterie properly but I guess I stand corrected, The battery issues or at least the ones I'm determining were battery related ar all but gone and I have a happy bird because of them. I've attempted to do a full discharge recharge on the batteries that are suspect, with some success with on of the 48s, but #2 just got way too hot and puffed up a bit on the test flight after the discharge/charge cycle, that one is now sitting in a limo safe bad in the middle of an empty room LOL.
2019-4-9
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yup,  thanks for reporting!  Age is not your friend, specially in lipo batteries!

The excess heat is caused by increased internal resistance within the battery cells.  There's no reversing that.

Randy
2019-4-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OMG - not good! Arrange for them to be professionally disposed and handle with gloves. With all swelling that badly at the same time I'd say they were stored on 100% for too long or kept in a hot place.
2019-4-10
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 4-10 16:42
Yup,  thanks for reporting!  Age is not your friend, specially in lipo batteries!

The excess heat is caused by increased internal resistance within the battery cells.  There's no reversing that.

Happy to report that after a couple of charge total discharge cycles my #2 TB48 which was the worst offender has come back to life and is holding charge under load. flight time might be about a minute or two off on hover compared to the new one, remember I have an X5R and I haven't seen more than 13 minutes flight time with it, however I've yet to do a "real" flight test capturing raw video with the new batteries, or for that matter with the "revived" #2, the other 3 batteries are still going through the process, #3 seems recovered now also but I am very impressed with the result of the #2 "first aid" this battery would go into the red instantly upon any real load. I will be posting before after vids on YT maybe as soon as tonight MAYBE I'm cautiously happy and yes I will do some very safe flying for a while until I am sure these batteries are holding up. BTW, there is a marked temperature difference and no "battery overheating" warnings. I only flew it to 35% to be on the safe side and in case I can't fly any time soon, it is at a safe storage charge, is 35% too low for storage, should I give it a bit of a boost?
2019-4-11
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

35% should be fine......your cells should be reporting over 3.8 volts/cell at that level,  Perfect for sitting for awhile.

But you should still cycle your batteries every 2 to 3 months.......Lipo and Lion do not like to sit........

Randy
2019-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules