Take your drone videos to the next level..
3828 10 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ikopta5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2204462 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Next time youre looking to share your latest drone masterpiece, dont forget to spend a little time on the opening titles to grab your audiences attention.get the basics, then let your creativness spark the fire.

2019-1-20
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Great idea. I didn't realise you can do the same thing, more or less, in iMovie (only found out by searching after watching your video)...

1) Create your text - I use GIMP (because I love free software). You can have any background colour you want, but the colour of the text must be set to all green (#00FF00)
2) Export the picture as a PNG - let's call this text.png
3) Create another PNG the same size, which is just solid green - let's call this green.png (you'll see why this second picture is needed in a moment - I've attached my examples)
4) Drag both pictures into iMovie, text.png first, green.png second. The software automatically adds a Ken Burns effect - I quite like it, but you can turn it off. Make text.png last for as long as you want. Green.png only needs to be a second (or less)
5) Drag a transition in between them - I suggest Cross Blur, and make it a few seconds long (I use 3) - again, you can use what you prefer
6) Export this as a high quality video - let's call it title.mp4
7) Clear the timeline
8) Now drag in your drone footage and soundtrack, edit them how you want
9) Drag title.mp4 to the beginning of your timeline, ABOVE the rest of the footage
10) Above the preview, top right, there is an option to select "Video overlay settings" - click this and select "Green/Blue Screen" and click the tick to apply
11) Now the letters should be transparent and will fade out into your video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJjFeKgUDY

If you try to do this with just text.png there will be no smooth transition - it will just cut out. If this is acceptable to you, then skip steps 3-8 (and in step 9, replace title.mp4 with text.png). You can't add transitions to green screen overlays in one step, at least, not in the version of iMovie I have (10.1.5).

To recap, you just need to create a separate title video which you can overlay onto your footage.

Edit: the split screen bit in the tutorial above isn't possible in iMovie, from what I can see. Been playing with some dirty hacks to see if I could do it, but so far, it doesn't look like it can be done. However, I did find that you can alter the Ken Burns effect to basically zoom out which means you can do it in one step:

https://youtu.be/mniyQi2QfGg
text.png
green.png
2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

To make the drone video looks very high level. Very useful! Thanks for sharing.
2019-1-20
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I think I've worked out a method to do the split screen in iMovie. Will have a play and get back to you
2019-1-20
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Done it! Wasn't particularly easy - had to create about 6 videos in order to produce it, but this was done in iMovie, with GIMP for the PNG files...

https://youtu.be/2-NgeKtjQCg

2019-1-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nicely done, great video
2019-1-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great advice - thanks for sharing
2019-5-21
Use props
Miro Perez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25374 ft

Great video thanks for sharing
2019-9-3
Use props
Aydin Tamturk
lvl.2

wow great idea
2019-9-4
Use props
Edward470
lvl.2

OMG! I'm downloading now all of the videos on my SnapTube app for watching later. Please, keep sharing more drone videos...
2019-9-30
Use props
fansdfbe21cc
lvl.4
Israel

Took my DJI Mavic 2 drone to a rappelling hike, this is how it looks:
2020-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules