Heating up when charging? Recommendation for Charger?
2493 4 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Leptic
lvl.1
Germany

Hi...

When im using my Huawei charger (which is an 5V 2A), the Osmo Pocket gets extremely hot.
When im using the USB Port on my computer, then it takes ~2h to get the Pocket back to 100%.

so 2 questions:
  • Do i need to be concerned when the Osmo pocket gets hot while it is charging?
  • Any recommendations / experiences with other chargers? Maybe one which allows quick charge? I´ve heard e.g. from Anker w/ PowerIQ - something you would recommend'?

thanks alot in advance

2019-1-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I would say my Osmo Pocket gets warm, not hot, and I too sometimes use my Huawei phone charger. If you have a strong enough charger it should charge in around 74 minutes from around a 17% charge mark.
USB charging ports from my PC do seem to take longer to charge the Pocket. I have a dedicated mains charger with 2x2A outputs that I normally use and a portable Power ADD 20000mAh charger with a double 3.4A maximum output for outdoors and it gets a little warmer when using those but still what I would not describe as hot.  It would make a good hand warmer though :-)
2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do appreciate your concern in regards to this situation. May we know how long it will take if you use the charger brick of your mobile device? Please make sure that we're charging the Osmo Pocket with the recommended temperature which is 5°C to 40°C. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for the support.
2019-1-20
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.2
United States

I have experienced this as well, and reported it here (Thread link below).

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this behavior...at least none that I've yet figured out. There are a couple things I've observed that don't seem to make a ton of sense, but seem to be at least fairly reliable...

1) When I initiated the thread below, my OP was definitely getting hot when the issue arose. It was decidedly past 'warm'.

2) When it did get hot, it was not charging reliably. For example, there were occasions I'd have plugged it in for charging when the batt indicator suggested 55% charge, and an hr later it would be at...like 62% or some such minimal increase.

3) It *seems* to be related somehow to the charging methodology I used.
       a) If I plugged the DJI supplied charging cable into a USB3 port on my laptop, there was no issue (did not get hot, perhaps a bit warm) and it charged in what seemed an appropriate time frame.
       b) If I plugged that same DJI supplied charging cable into a wall adapter (I tried a couple different ones), the heat buildup would get excessive and the device would not charge. Where this gets confusing is that it didn't happen every time, but I'd estimate 3 of 4.

4) And perhaps the strangest bit of all this is that if I power up the OP and *then* plug it in for charging, the heat issue doesn't arise and the device charges appropriately. Again, it may get a little warm, but certainly not 'Hot'.

The lack of any consistent pattern to the behavior has had me scratching my head ever since it first appeared. But since discovering that powering up the OP *seems* to prevent the issue from occurring, I've mostly ignored it recently.

Hope you have better luck figuring out what's occurring!

My thread....
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1696352
2019-1-20
Use props
Leptic
lvl.1
Germany

rjwPhoto Posted at 1-20 11:02
I have experienced this as well, and reported it here (Thread link below).

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this behavior...at least none that I've yet figured out. There are a couple things I've observed that don't seem to make a ton of sense, but seem to be at least fairly reliable...

Thanks.
i will do some tests and see how my OP will react.
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules