Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video and Camera
707 7 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gazmg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Please help i am slowly given up on settings....i have watched most of the videos for settings from auto and manual ,iso 100 shutter 1/50 (couldnt see anything etc etc...I can only get it half decent shot on Auto ?  Also i want to take pictures directly looking at the sun but what filter do i need to pick out the sun not just a white/yellow blurr.

Any help please with settings, treat me like a beginner ie a list of settings thank you....im set 4k 24fps,Pal..

Thank you

Dji63.jpg
2019-1-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Are you talking about video or stills?
How is your experience with 'normal' camera's (the ones you hold in your hand)?
2019-1-20
Use props
Gazmg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-20 10:39
Are you talking about video or stills?
How is your experience with 'normal' camera's (the ones you hold in your hand)?

Both video and stills.i had it set to manual as per you tube settings and it was a very dark screen i mean dak ? I like to think very good but always on Auto,,,i use my Galaxy s8 plus all pics come out well..
2019-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Change to manual and set your ISO to 100 and increase the shutter speed as high as is necessary until the exposure value hits zero (the max shutter speed on the original MP is 1/8000th). There will be little motion in the capture but that is not the purpose of stills unless you are aiming for long exposure shots so the 180 degree rule in keeping your shutter speed double your frame rate is not relevant with photography - getting the exposure as close to perfect is. Use the histogram to assist you too.
2019-1-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Gazmg Posted at 1-20 10:53
Both video and stills.i had it set to manual as per you tube settings and it was a very dark screen i mean dak ? I like to think very good but always on Auto,,,i use my Galaxy s8 plus all pics come out well..

There is a lot to tell about getting the 'most' out of your camera.
But a lot is basic stuff that does not only apply to drones.
You will need to understand that before asking what are 'best' settings and so on.

From what I see you have a Mavic Pro right?
That is a very nice drone (I have one myself) but the camera does need an operator that knows a bit about photography (and I'm only talking about the technical stuff now, of course you also benefit from knowledge about composition etc, but that is another story)

So I don't know how good your knowledge about the technical part of photography / videography is, but those 'rules' also apply to the Mavic Pro.
And if I may give some advice, I would try to learn those with a 'ground' camera so you don't have to focus (no pun intended ) on the flying part and put all your attention to the camera part.

Now all of this knowledge is available everywhere on the internet, so I'm sure you will manage to find more details about it, but if you want, I can give you a crash course.
2019-1-20
Use props
Gazmg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-20 12:44
There is a lot to tell about getting the 'most' out of your camera.
But a lot is basic stuff that does not only apply to drones.
You will need to understand that before asking what are 'best' settings and so on.

Crash course please...
2019-1-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Gazmg Posted at 1-21 11:12
Crash course please...

Hahahahahahaha.
Where to start?

Everything is about the light that hits the sensor so that can get as much information to convert to a digital picture.
With the Mavic you have 1 way to control the amount of light that hits the sensor.
Shutterspeed. (faster shutterspeed = less light hitting the sensor = darker image)
So 1/100s shutterspeed will allow less light to hit the sensor than 1/20s
The side effect of (longter) shutterspeed is the 'risk' of motion blur. As the world has more chance to move a bit during a longer shutterspeed you might say that faster shutterspeed will give you sharper (less blurry) images.

The other thing that involves light is the ISO (sensitivity) of the sensor. If you increase the sensitivity your sensor needs less light to get a more bright image.
But the main side effect of higher ISO values is noise in your picture. (because the pixels are more sensitive, they also react to each other)
So when you bump the iso from 100 to 400 you will need less light, to get a bright image, BUT you also get more noise.
(always a tradeoff)

With other camera's (or the mavic 2 pro) you also have the aperture, but I won't include that since the original Mavic Pro does not have that.

Some other things that are important are about the lens itself.
It is used to focus your image. Unfortunately the Mavic Pro has a focus mechanism. So you need to make sure you focus your lens before pressing the shutter / rec button.
Otherwise your image is 'out of focus' and looks blurry.
Actually you wouldn't need a focus mechanism for most of the drone shots, since you will want everything to be in focus and set your focus to 'infinity' anyway.

The other thing that is important is the 'focal length' of your lens (some translate that to 'field of view' or 'zoom'). With the original Mavic Pro you can't change that. So you don't need to worry about it, until you get the Mavic 2 Zoom. That has the ability to change the focal length of the lens and change the field of view from 'wide' to 'tele'.

So much for the main settings you can change.
  • Shutterspeed (faster shutterspeed = less light hits the sensor = darker image and sharper image)
  • ISO (higher ISO value = you need less light BUT  you get noise in return)
  • Focus (make sure you tap your subject before pressing REC / shutter and see the green square to know you are 'in focus'

Now for a little bit of limitations of the sensor.
The main limitation you need to know about is the limited 'dynamic range' of the sensor of the Mavic Pro. Why is that important? When you fly around, you often get a (very) bright sky and a (rather) dark ground in your image.
Now for the sky you would need a fast shutterspeed (1/1000s) and low ISO (100), but for the ground you would need a slower shutterspeed (1/25s) and maybe even a higher ISO (400 or so) because your sensor can't deal with the difference between the bright sky and dark ground.
Especially when you shoot 'into' the sun and the sky is even brighter.
This results in either a totally white sky (blown out) or a black ground (under exposed).

What can you do about that?
Not much really, other than set your ISO to the lowest value (that will get the best dynamic range), set your camera to an 'average' exposure and live with the (too) bright sky and (too) dark ground.

Some post processing might help a little, but once your sensor has registered true white or true black, it can never get those details back.
So it is usually best to not shoot into the sun (so the ground and the sky have roughly the same brightness)
But if you really want that : make sure you dive into the picture profile and lower the contrast and saturation a bit.
(that does require post processing to make your image look better).

Auto settings
As a beginner, I would totally focus on flying the drone and not worry about the footage / images. So the 'best' thing might be to start with auto everything.
Now there are some things you can do to improve your output:
- I personally like to set my EV compensation to -0.7 / -1 so I get a bit darker image. This usually results in a more pleasing image if you ask me.
- Use your right dial to change the EV compensation if you find the image too bright / dark. (experiment with that while hovering or even with the drone on the ground)
- I like to set my picture profile to D-cinelike and lower the contrast and saturation a little. That will give me more dynamic range and less risk of blowing out the lighter parts or getting too much black that I can't work with later on.
(you will need to edit your footage in post to make it look nice)

If you are ready for 'manual' settings, these are the things to consider:
I like to get my shutterspeed as fast as possible while keeping the ISO as low as possible. (to get a sharp, low noise image)
So I usually set my shutterspeed at 1/50s or faster and the ISO as low as possible.
Sometimes there is just not enough light around and I move my shutterspeed lower (1/25s) and bump the ISO a little.

Now there are far more details to consider, but this should get you started.
Just play around with the settings. Possibly when you are NOT flying (drone on the table or so) and make sure you watch the result indoor on a bigger screen (laptop etc).
Make sure you know what your are doing with the camera system (lens, sensor) when you see a bright or dark image and want to correct this.

2019-1-21
Use props
Gazmg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij thank you so much for taking the time to explain in simple terms, much appreciated i owe you a Beer...
2019-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules