Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What happens when two drones fly together?
6064 5 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ollie Bird
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581873 ft
United States

I flew radio controlled aircraft for ten years back in the 80's. I belonged to a club with maybe 25 members and when we went to our field we would all put our transmitters (controllers) in racks. When some one wanted to fly they checked for a clothes pin with their frequency on it. If it wasn't one there he couldn't fly because somebody else had the same frequency, so obvious interference with terrible results. So how about two droneheads show up at the same field to fly. Is each drone specifically matched to its controller so as to avoid a similar situation? Curious me.
2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Actually, It's possible. However, its recommended to not fly more than 3 in close proximity. The reason to avoid flying 3 or more aircraft close to each other is that they will automatically choose a different channel for each aircraft. This may cause a loss of signal moment and risk. Please fly with caution to avoid any issue. Thank you.
2019-1-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly with friends regularly sometimes 5 to 10 at a time. With no issues and no all of them are Dji. Yes in the air at the same time.
2019-1-20
Use props
Ollie Bird
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581873 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 1-20 19:39
I fly with friends regularly sometimes 5 to 10 at a time. With no issues and no all of them are Dji. Yes in the air at the same time.

I'm assuming these drones are a bit more advanced than radio control of the 80s. I remember there were maybe 8-10 different frequencies designated by the FCC for the sport (8-10 being a guess). When you sync your controller with your drone they're probably having a private conversation. It just came to me that in Lady Gaga's 2017 super bowl halftime show there were 300 drones looking like swirling stars in the beginning.
2019-1-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ollie Bird Posted at 1-21 04:02
I'm assuming these drones are a bit more advanced than radio control of the 80s. I remember there were maybe 8-10 different frequencies designated by the FCC for the sport (8-10 being a guess). When you sync your controller with your drone they're probably having a private conversation. It just came to me that in Lady Gaga's 2017 super bowl halftime show there were 300 drones looking like swirling stars in the beginning.

Those were flown by computers. There was a time when it was not a good to fly together.

Long has those days have gone. Now if someone is flying with booster you could get interference.
2019-1-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

As coms are done via  'spread-spectrum' techniques then it depends on SN ratio in the area - so that would include all other RTs sharing the same chunk of frequency spectrum and the strength of each controller to individual drone. I think 'swam' drone shows have their own specific coms regimen and are probably more dependent upon autonomous programme execution - assuming a very good real time positional lock. Speculation - but maybe someone here knows the real details.
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules