12Next >
14055 46 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
unco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7621 ft
Australia

My wireless module doesn't seem to be passing charge through to the Osmo Pocket.  The wireless function is working fine though.

If I unplug the wireless module and plug the cable directly in to the OP unit itself it charges fine.  Once I add on the wireless module and plug the charging cable in to the base, no charging.

Am I doing something wrong?
2019-1-20
Use props
djiuser_3EASLwilfU1W
New

United Kingdom

Exactly the same for me too. Why have the connector if you can't use it to charge through?
2019-1-20
Use props
unco
lvl.2
Australia

The USB-C port on the wireless module is supposed to be able to pass charge through to the Osmo Pocket though.

From the product description:
The Wireless Module provides Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection between Osmo Pocket and your mobile device to support seamless remote control and make shooting more flexible. It also serves as a base to set Osmo Pocket on level surfaces. You can also charge Osmo Pocket via the USB-C port.

I'm using the same charging brick and cable which successfully charges the OP, but won't charge via the wireless module so I have a feeling something might be wrong with the port on the wireless module.
2019-1-20
Use props
jordier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58760 ft
Spain

Hi. I am charging through the wifi module and it loads me perfectly. It occurs to me that you try to try a different USB C cable or a more powerful feeder.
2019-1-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

unco Posted at 1-20 15:17
The USB-C port on the wireless module is supposed to be able to pass charge through to the Osmo Pocket though.

From the product description:

I had the same problem the cable and source that I used to successfully charge the OP direct would not charge it going through the the wireless adapter.

I called DJI support and they hold me that I had to use the cable provided by DJI with the OP.

That did not make sense but I tried it and it worked!  

DJI did say that there should be a firmware update eventually to allow a normal usb type c cable to work as well as it does when charging the OP directly.
2019-1-20
Use props
unco
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks jordier and BoBWinNV.

I was charging it with my 30W Type-C USB-PD adapter and cable so thought that would've been sufficient enough but I'll give it a try with the original charging accessories and see if it works.

If that's the case, I hope they can push out that fix in the firmware soon so I don't have to carry two cables on my travels.
2019-1-20
Use props
bse63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine charges with the original Samsung cable I got with my Note 9.
2019-1-21
Use props
unco
lvl.2
Australia

I switched to the original USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the Osmo Pocket and it works.

Shame it doesn’t work with the USB-C to USB-C cable I have which can fast charge every other device I have.
2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, it is recommended to charge with the included Type-C cable, the compatibility of the normal cables cannot be fully ensured, thanks for your understanding.
2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BobWinNV Posted at 1-20 18:36
I had the same problem the cable and source that I used to successfully charge the OP direct would not charge it going through the the wireless adapter.

I called DJI support and they hold me that I had to use the cable provided by DJI with the OP.

Hi Bob, it is recommended to use the cable provided by DJI with the Osmo Pocket but I never heard the normal cables will be supported via the firmware upgrade, may I know how did you contact our support and your contact info so that we can investigate and verify? Thank you.
2019-1-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-21 19:38
Hi Bob, it is recommended to use the cable provided by DJI with the Osmo Pocket but I never heard the normal cables will be supported via the firmware upgrade, may I know how did you contact our support and your contact info so that we can investigate and verify? Thank you.

I called the USA support number. I questioned why a usb type c to usb type c would charge the OP directly but not when going through the wireless adapter. They told me that I needed to use the cable supplied with the OP when charging through the wireless adapter but that they were waiting for a firmware update from an outside developer.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BobWinNV Posted at 1-22 10:29
I called the USA support number. I questioned why a usb type c to usb type c would charge the OP directly but not when going through the wireless adapter. They told me that I needed to use the cable supplied with the OP when charging through the wireless adapter but that they were waiting for a firmware update from an outside developer.

I have double confirmed with our engineers that it is not true, please use the recommended cable for the compatibility. Your experience will be forwarded to the appropriate team to investigate, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2019-1-22
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic Air charger worked just fine.
2019-1-23
Use props
1967geezer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I can charge through with my Linkon multi ended cable using Anker 27w 4 port wall charger.

Strange that people report not all cables work, I thought all cables had to conform to industry standards. Makes me wonder if it’s the chargers not having enough output.
2019-1-23
Use props
unco
lvl.2
Australia

1967geezer Posted at 1-23 14:27
I can charge through with my Linkon multi ended cable using Anker 27w 4 port wall charger.

Strange that people report not all cables work, I thought all cables had to conform to industry standards. Makes me wonder if it’s the chargers not having enough output.

I've been using a Blitzwolf BW-S11, it's USB-PD and QC3.0 compliant from the USB-C output port.

It charged my OP fine using an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable.  
Plugged in the wireless dongle and it wouldn't charge.
Switched to the original cable that came with the OP, still using the BW-S11 and it worked.

To me it's not the power brick causing my issues.  I wonder if it's similar to Apple devices using an authentication chip in their lightning cables.. would the wireless module be doing the same to make sure you're using the original cable?? Surely not..
2019-1-23
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

I have the same problem. Am really irritated as it just killed a 3hr motionlapse. I also have the problem that the module ONLY seems to work with one of my Two OPs. The other one doesn't seem to register on the wireless module (even though its USB-C port works otherwise).
2019-1-25
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 1-20 18:36

Dang it, You're right. I used the supplied traditional USB to USB-C cable that came with the camera, and that worked. However, that is a crap solution as it's WAY to short. They definitely need to get it so normal USB-C cables, of any length, work.
2019-1-25
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
United States

unco Posted at 1-21 02:21
I switched to the original USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the Osmo Pocket and it works.

Shame it doesn’t work with the USB-C to USB-C cable I have which can fast charge every other device I have.

Exactly, especially since that supplied one is TOO short. So irritating.
2019-1-25
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
United States

unco Posted at 1-21 02:21

Exactly, especially since that supplied one is TOO short. So irritating.
2019-1-25
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-22 22:32
I have double confirmed with our engineers that it is not true, please use the recommended cable for the compatibility. Your experience will be forwarded to the appropriate team to investigate, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

This is unacceptable. The supplied cable is too short for situation I want use the camera in for longer periods. USB-C is a STANDARD, so it should work with other cables. A device that only support your cables is not acceptable.
2019-1-25
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
United States

unco Posted at 1-23 14:34
I've been using a Blitzwolf BW-S11, it's USB-PD and QC3.0 compliant from the USB-C output port.

It charged my OP fine using an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable.  

That is my worry, and if so it's entirely unacceptable. I've been a long time DJI supporter, but would leave in a second. proprietary cable that look like standard USB would be SO dishonest and a crappy business practice.
2019-1-25
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I was not aware this could be an issue, until I read your post.  Since I also have a wireless module, I went ahead and tested several third party USB-A to USB-C cables and all them charged the OP through the wireless module ON and OFF.  It is interesting to see that DJI only recommends their short cable.  I never used mine since it's too short to begin with.  All the third party cables that I am using are cheap braided cables I purchased on Amazon and at Best Buy.  They are nothing fancy or expensive.  Why would DJI limit a product to just one cable?  It makes no sense.  No disrespect to DJI but it's easier to recommend the included cable versus dealing with maybe a bad batch?  I know sometimes third party cables are not full compliant and companies will recommend to use their own like Apple does.  Anyways mine work.  Have you tried maybe swapping the module for a different one?  
2019-1-25
Use props
Ramage
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Cheap cables are normally the cause of incompatibility since they tend to cut corners on the standards in order to keep the costs down.

The challenge is finding cables that are 100% compliant with the USB Wiring Standards, and since there are so many cables from so many manufactures it is often only through trial and error that you can be certain on what works well and what does not.

In general the most compliant cables I have found tend to be from major cell phone manufacturers, and camera manufactures as these have to be able to deal with a lot of sub standard connections in the wild.

In the case of the Osmo Pocket when using the Wireless module as the charging port it appears that it is critical that the USB cable to 100% compliant with the USB Standard since you are going from cable > module > Osmo. The Osmo most likely has the ability to negotiate a poor connections standard where the module does not. This would explain why your cable that works directly connected does not work when connected to the module.
2019-1-25
Use props
unco
lvl.2
Iceland

Joemar7 Posted at 1-25 14:26
I was not aware this could be an issue, until I read your post.  Since I also have a wireless module, I went ahead and tested several third party USB-A to USB-C cables and all them charged the OP through the wireless module ON and OFF.  It is interesting to see that DJI only recommends their short cable.  I never used mine since it's too short to begin with.  All the third party cables that I am using are cheap braided cables I purchased on Amazon and at Best Buy.  They are nothing fancy or expensive.  Why would DJI limit a product to just one cable?  It makes no sense.  No disrespect to DJI but it's easier to recommend the included cable versus dealing with maybe a bad batch?  I know sometimes third party cables are not full compliant and companies will recommend to use their own like Apple does.  Anyways mine work.  Have you tried maybe swapping the module for a different one?

Were they all USB to USB-C that you tested which worked?I only had USB-C to USB-C third party cables which didn’t work.  I don’t have any other A to C cables in the house to test except the original OP cable.
2019-1-26
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

unco Posted at 1-26 00:58
Were they all USB to USB-C that you tested which worked?I only had USB-C to USB-C third party cables which didn’t work.  I don’t have any other A to C cables in the house to test except the original OP cable.
Yes all USB A to USB C. I also tried the one that came with my new GoPro camera and it also worked.  
2019-1-26
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 1-26 04:53
Yes all USB A to USB C. I also tried the one that came with my new GoPro camera and it also worked.

Get it:
If the cable you are using does not work, and you complain to DJI, DJI recommends their cable because they know it works.  And it does.

That does NOT mean that no other cable than the supplied one works. It means that some cables do not work. There are multitudes of examples in this thread of non-DJI cables that do work, including long ones.
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansf48d1cdf Posted at 1-25 11:47
This is unacceptable. The supplied cable is too short for situation I want use the camera in for longer periods. USB-C is a STANDARD, so it should work with other cables. A device that only support your cables is not acceptable.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, we don't mean all the third-party cables cannot be used with Osmo Pocket, it's just the compatibility cannot be fully ensured, but with our included cable, it will definitely work unless it is damaged. Hope for your understanding.
2019-1-28
Use props
Tyroga
New
Flight distance : 196424 ft
Australia

I was frustrated by this for the longest time. I have a bunch of Apple USB-C cables already attached to my computer and I couldn't get this to work. And I don't know where my short DJI cable is, but thankfully I have a monitor cable that is USB-C to USB-C and finally it works fine and it's nice and long, so I can make sure my OSMO stays charged during longer time lapses. So yeah, it will work with some 3rd party cables, but not all.
2019-2-10
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tyroga Posted at 2-10 18:28
I was frustrated by this for the longest time. I have a bunch of Apple USB-C cables already attached to my computer and I couldn't get this to work. And I don't know where my short DJI cable is, but thankfully I have a monitor cable that is USB-C to USB-C and finally it works fine and it's nice and long, so I can make sure my OSMO stays charged during longer time lapses. So yeah, it will work with some 3rd party cables, but not all.

Charging the OP through the wireless base requires a dumb cable. Any USB A to USB C should work but if you try a full USB C Spec  USB C to USB C cable (even one that works fine when charging by plugging directly into the bottom of the OP) it will not work.

I don't think that the USB C connection at the back of the wireless module is full USB C spec and therefor can't handshake correctly with USB C charging systems smarts.

Good thing that the USB C chargers are smart enough to shut down. Imagine what would happen if it shipped the wireless module a full USB C capable 20V at 5A. That would not be pretty.
2019-2-10
Use props
RH99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1463 ft
Australia

Same problem here with USB C to USB C but no problem with USB A to USB C cable. I have an 2018 iPad Pro with USB C cable and charger so it is annoying to have to carry around a USB A to USB C cable which I use for absolutely nothing. I still have USB A to Lightning for my iPhone (hopefully Apple will change this in the next round of iPhones) but I really don’t have anything other the the OP that “requires” a USB A to USB C cable. DJI, please consider updating the Wireless Module to allow at least certain USB C to USB C chargers, it’ll make your customers happy!
2019-2-11
Use props
espirk
New

United States

Same issue. Osmo charges directly but won’t charge when using the wireless base.  Thought I got a faulty unit so I returned it. Now I know the issue is not on my end.  Hope they update this.  For $60 you should be able to use any usbc cable.  Love the Osmo though.
2019-2-13
Use props
fanse9b9c035
lvl.1

Canada

Powerful charger don't seems to work. such as charger from MacBook Pro use-c. I guess it too much power for the wireless module. weird   .. normal charger seems working
2019-4-2
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

In several experiences using USB-C, I have many approach regarding this problem.

I have several charging peripherals, such as:
- 45w Anker charger
- 45w ANker Power Bank
- Microtech 18w charger
- (A laptop brand that I forgot) 30w charger
- 45w HP Lapdock Charger

There are some interesting things going on there.
- All of the charger and power bank charges my Surface Go laptop & my Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- None of them, EXCEPT for 45w HP charger, charges my HP Elite Lapdock.
- All of them, EXCEPT anker charger 45w, charges my 45w anker power bank.

In my experience regarding wireless module pass-through charging on osmo pocket:
- 45w Anker Power Bank doesn't work, BUT if I use the USB-A to USB-C port instead of USB-C to USB-C port, it will work.
- 45w Anker Charger behaves the same.
- Other charger works.

I'm not a technician, so I can't figure out why does this happen.
The thing I know, is that USB-C standard is kinda confusing and doesn't always work, unlike the older USB port.
2019-4-2
Use props
Essjay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

My good quality USB-A to USB-C cable bought from Amazon will charge the OP through the Wireless Module using an Anker Powerport 5 charger.
2019-4-3
Use props
leomeister
New
United States

If the problem is with the cable, what should I look for when ordering a *longer* cable?  I sometimes need the longer cable for timelapse projects.  The short usb c cable that came with the OP is too short sometimes.
Thanks!
2019-4-20
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Out of interest I have tried a USB A - extension cable to the DJI supplied cable, and this charges through the wireless module ok.
This was 1m in length.

eg:https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonB ... omputers&sr=1-2
2019-4-20
Use props
leomeister
New
United States

I went out to Best Buy and found a USB A to C that states in the back "3 Amp output" charging capability.  See picture.  Works to solve this issue.
15558599643941373863783604508796.jpg
2019-4-21
Use props
djiuser_wCJ2nXGMwVqA
New

United States

They really is inconvenient.   I'm travelling and don't have the original cable.     I don't even know if I have it back home.    I have so many short cables that you tend to toss them aside.   Puts me in bad spot cause I was planning to power the osmo thru that module also connected to polarpro tripod adapter.  Now I have no way to connect to tripod and charge with what I have with me on the road.       How do we order just the cable?
2019-7-16
Use props
dronieuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17018 ft
United Kingdom

I know it may seem a strange request, but can someone post a picture of the original cable. I have so many USB-C cables I have no clue which one came with the Osmo Pocket.
2019-7-16
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

dronieuk Posted at 7-16 22:32
I know it may seem a strange request, but can someone post a picture of the original cable. I have so many USB-C cables I have no clue which one came with the Osmo Pocket.

It’ll probably be the shortest one!

Mine seems to have a white sticker with a QR Code and long number on it, on the USB A end. At least I think it’s from the OP!
2019-7-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules