Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are you guys satisfied?? Got tests and reviews you made? Post the...
1454 29 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 129695 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting myself the Osmo pocket. I think I my need your help to make up my mind!

osmo.jpg

I'm just wondering what some people who have actually got it and tested it think of it.

Could you share your experience with me? If you have video reviews or tests, you can post them here.

Thanks!

2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. I hope one of valued Customer can share their experience with regards to your query. If there is any help needed, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2019-1-21
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

99% of us love it....the remaining 1% have listed every bitch known to man in these forums.
2019-1-21
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I'm a casual shooter.  All I can say is for casual shooting like family videos, basic vlogging etc, it does fine.  If you expect to buy this as your main camera for professional work, it will disappoint you.   I won't mention all of its shortcomings because there are multiple posts talking about them but these are my main thoughts.  You can get some descent b roll shots if you're riding on a car, skateboard, etc and doing the ninja walk on this tiny camera is quite challenging.  Secondly, the battery life.  A trip to the mall can easily drain your battery if you record in higher frames and an external charger is a must.  Auto focus is not reliable without the use of the phone.  I have ruined many shots thinking I nailed the focus, but I did not.  The tiny screen is deceiving.  Again, having the phone connected is a must and yet AF is not perfect.  I carry mine everywhere I go and I use it to vlog in coffee shops, the grocery store, the mall, and at places where people don't kick you out where gimbals are restricted like the mall or venues.  Bottom line, this is a nice little camera as long as you are aware of its limitations and if you care about recording discreetly without crying so much attention, this is a great camera.  
2019-1-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Think of it as an equivalent Swiss Army knife.
It does a lot of things more conveniently and faster than a dedicated tool but it will not beat a dedicated expensive tool for quality.
It also has a few useful tricks that I've not seen other image recording devices do well.
The quality is not that bad. I've already had still images accepted for use on museum sites for web use and later in the year expect to get some video footage accepted as well.
I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the output and have already had three people I know say they are getting one for their work as well after I let them use mine to try out.
I do point out the downsides and limitations to them, but like me, they think that at its price point there is little on the market that can do the same amount of things as well as the Osmo Pocket can and they are experienced, informed people.
One of the tricks it does which I can't duplicate with anything else I have is the 3x3 panorama for both speed of use and remarkably for the low light levels, I sometimes shoot at.
I could do better with a DSLR but it would take me at least 15 minutes and the shooting conditions because of the time constraints would probably limit me to interior shots where there was limited movement.
A few examples. Taken using jpg only, not using DNG files. They are all handheld with me freezing in the early hours of the morning.

2019-1-21
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Like other have said, in its current state if all you want is a genuine pocket camera with above average quality then it will fit your needs. If the promised features are delivered then this will be a solid little camera setup. For me personally, in its current state the video is over sharpened with no way to reduce it in camera, the flat profile is not yet available which hopefully will correct some of the short falls for me.

Overall if you want a pocket friendly device to use on full auto you won’t be disappointed, for prosumer type feature well time will tell.
2019-1-21
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You should just read up on the oh almost 700 posts in this section. There is plenty of data to read.
2019-1-21
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

You won't capture your next epic blockbuster with it. But, for most, it's just fine.

The gripe that will affect most, is the sometimes squirrelly focus. It can also go a bit wild with contrasting light conditions.

The vast majority of users aren't into heavy color grading. But, "cinelike" is expected in future updates. Anyone would like to place odds that t will, in most opinions, suck ?

And, to me, the missing "Story Mode" is nothing but a bit of a mindfart.
2019-1-21
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went traveling for almost one month the day after I received my OP, I have use it in cars, planes, bright daylight, cloudly day, at night, low light interior and exterior, with and without ND filters. I posted my experience and a bunch of videos in this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549

All video are uploaded to youtube with no edit or any form of post processing except whatever Youtube do to uploaded videos.

2019-1-21
Use props
Ray of Hope
lvl.3
Australia

I've done quite a few tests and video reviews on YouTube (I'll put the links below). I also bought the expansion kit and a few other accessories.

I'm pretty happy with it and I think it does a good job for taking walking videos and exercise videos, which is what I got it mostly for. I'd be happier if I could live stream with it. Hopefully that ability is coming. I also think they should have made the wireless ability built in, but I guess they were trying to make it as small as possible, and also make the most money from us :-)

2019-1-21
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wish the field-of-view was a little wider like a GoPro, but it's still very usable. I haven't used it for hiking or snowboarding yet (stay tuned). But the time-lapse feature is really great and the picture/video is VERY crisp and clear, and it's low-light time-lapse capability is really amazing. So far I'm happy with it but need to use it more before I recommend.
2019-1-21
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-21 15:05
Think of it as an equivalent Swiss Army knife.
It does a lot of things more conveniently and faster than a dedicated tool but it will not beat a dedicated expensive tool for quality.
It also has a few useful tricks that I've not seen other image recording devices do well.

Wow, looks like it can take some nice low light pics too, and without too much noise!!!

I hope most of the shortcomings you've experienced will disappear with updates
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Ray of Hope Posted at 1-21 21:05
I've done quite a few tests and video reviews on YouTube (I'll put the links below). I also bought the expansion kit and a few other accessories.

I'm pretty happy with it and I think it does a good job for taking walking videos and exercise videos, which is what I got it mostly for. I'd be happier if I could live stream with it. Hopefully that ability is coming. I also think they should have made the wireless ability built in, but I guess they were trying to make it as small as possible, and also make the most money from us :-)

It's a good thing I looked at all your videos because seeing the first one I thought the Zhiyun did a better job stabilizing lol!

Really seems to do a great job!
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Bing Err Posted at 1-21 21:19
I wish the field-of-view was a little wider like a GoPro, but it's still very usable. I haven't used it for hiking or snowboarding yet (stay tuned). But the time-lapse feature is really great and the picture/video is VERY crisp and clear, and it's low-light time-lapse capability is really amazing. So far I'm happy with it but need to use it more before I recommend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcI9Q_oz2Q

Oh, so you need an extra accessory to do pan and tilt with the Osmo pocket!? That's a shame  isn't it?

And how much did you end up having to pay for that?
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

By the way, on the website they talk about an underwater case, but it doesn't seem to be for sale. Is it part of the basic pack or have they just not launched it yet?
2019-1-22
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr Onikoyi Posted at 1-22 00:35
Oh, so you need an extra accessory to do pan and tilt with the Osmo pocket!? That's a shame  isn't it?

And how much did you end up having to pay for that?

You don't need the extra wheel to pan and tilt. Using the digital direction pad on your phone is actually pretty easy. Or you can use face tracker if your subject is looking at the camera. The wheel is not necessary.

As far as I know they have not released the underwater cover yet, but I'm sure you'll soon see third party accessories all over amazon.
2019-1-22
Use props
Trikke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2513406 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

The OP is not perfect and neither it will ever be, just like everything else perfection doesn't excist, and those who says otherwise do not have a real life feeling.
But those who want a smile size camera that can be ready every minut a day then it's a good bang for the buck.
Just work around your personal problems with the OP and everything will be fine.

The best camera is always the one that you hold in your hands.

And no problem for editing the images from the OP. My last film was shot with the pro 1 and the OP and everything looks rather good. Even the focus is better (not perfect) after the latest firmware update.
Handy camera to take along in your pocket. You want a better camera ??? Then forsee a much bigger budget and go for the proffessional gear, but don't cry afterwards that you are broke and that even that gear isn't perfect.

2019-1-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Mr Onikoyi Posted at 1-22 00:10
Wow, looks like it can take some nice low light pics too, and without too much noise!!!

I hope most of the shortcomings you've experienced will disappear with updates

I don't think the Osmo Pocket has any shortcomings beyond what physics dictates is possible at present technological levels.
Certainly, firmware updates can only do so much and whatever is updated may have a downside to another parameter.
It is what it is.
That's why I do more serious projects with more than one camera.
I won't say the Osmo Pocket hasn't got limitations because that would not be true. All cameras have problems. The trick is being able to work within their limitations. The Osmo Pocket does more than I would have thought possible at this price point at a quality level you would find harder to replicate with equipment at more than twice the price with a similar feature set.
If you are the sort of person that has only ever used your mobile phone to take images you may find it hard going to get an acceptable level of quality from the unit but the more experienced will find it quite useful to fulfill in a niche in their photographic and video needs.
If there is a problem with the Osmo Pocket it's that it's possibly too versatile. It gives the impression it's capable of dealing with any situation which it clearly isn't and attracts attention from people with too many varying demands pulling the development in too many directions at once.
If all of the upgrades people want are implemented, we will start to get lost in too many menus to remember which way to swipe for what when we need it, slowing down the speed at which it can be used at in a hurry.
So. I accept the Osmo Pocket for what it is and I'm grateful for any further development Dji are willing to do to improve what is, to my mind, an already great product within its price point and market placement.  
2019-1-22
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

El Diablo Posted at 1-22 05:57
Yes. So far the OP has lived to my expectations BUT it has some flaws that hopefully will be fixed through future FW updates (others just can't as they are hardware dependant).

1. It is no replacement for your action camera although it can take some abuse I wouldn't put it through the same 'routine'. We Talk Wav made some brutal tests and the OP survived but that is no long-term durability test.

Great that's the perfect review for me.
Some of the issues I have noted already, such as the lack of some of the accessories and the need of extras for basic usage.
Others I didn't expect (story mode not existing...)
In any case, I guess maybe I should wait a bit before getting mine, I'm. Not travelling anytime soon so it's not like I need to have it absolutely now.
And who knows, maybe the price will have gone down by may! Ahah!
2019-1-22
Use props
dronie1965
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

I am im the philippines now for vacation , have the pocket and the hero 7 black. Must admitt using the go pro more then pocket. I have to remind you , the pocket is no action camera. But should do the job for normal shooting and panning scenery. Or slowly walking or cycling
2019-1-22
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr Onikoyi Posted at 1-22 06:29
Great that's the perfect review for me.
Some of the issues I have noted already, such as the lack of some of the accessories and the need of extras for basic usage.
Others I didn't expect (story mode not existing...)

Yea, It's always wise that if you don't need it now, Wait a bit as I'm sure they will continue to improve the MIMO app and firmware. But leave yourself enough time to get familiar with the unit's so you know it's limits. Part of my problem was getting the unit the day before I left for a month of travel with a busy schedule. Not having the time and access to a larger screen to review my shots other than my laptop screen. I did not notice some of the limitations till I returned home. If I was able to have time to review some of the earlier shots in detail, it would have make some of my later shots better but I'm still really happy with the results in general.
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

dronie1965 Posted at 1-22 06:44
I am im the philippines now for vacation , have the pocket and the hero 7 black. Must admitt using the go pro more then pocket. I have to remind you , the pocket is no action camera. But should do the job for normal shooting and panning scenery. Or slowly walking or cycling

Aww cool, I was supposed to go there too but finally didn't, my girlfriend is there right now though....

Yeah if I ever have to take a gopro, it's always go'na be the black...

But, other than. Being an action cam, what makes you always choose the gopro over the Osmo pocket??
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

dronie1965 Posted at 1-22 06:44

Aww cool, I was supposed to go there too but finally didn't, my girlfriend is there right now though....

Yeah if I ever have to take a gopro, it's always go'na be the black...

But, other than. Being an action cam, what makes you always choose the gopro over the Osmo pocket??
2019-1-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

For casual shooting and purpose of family camera it's probably fine. For vlogging... I would search for better options.
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Onikoyi
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-22 11:28
For casual shooting and purpose of family camera it's probably fine. For vlogging... I would search for better options.

Oh so you don't recommend it for vloging!!??
2019-1-24
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Mr Onikoyi Posted at 1-24 15:30
Oh so you don't recommend it for vloging!!??

It probably depends what style you want.... at 26mm it's way too narrow to my tastes and focus pumping does not help either. However, if you not "selfie" vlogging but more like what's in front instead of around you, than it probably could do. Also, if you are more static vlogging, than it could work, but for anything dynamic or sporty, well... this camera is too gentle for that. No decent (emphasis on decent so you can actually see something useful) articulated screen out of the box is also kind of deal breaker for me together with inability to set everything from camera but you need to connect to phone with very questionable connection stress-wise. Having no wifi, no external mic connector etc out of the box is Apple kind of thing to squeeze more money from the customers so once you get all you need this one quickly becomes very expensive for what it is. Or maybe, just not my cup of tea.
2019-1-25
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bing Err Posted at 1-21 21:19
I wish the field-of-view was a little wider like a GoPro, but it's still very usable. I haven't used it for hiking or snowboarding yet (stay tuned). But the time-lapse feature is really great and the picture/video is VERY crisp and clear, and it's low-light time-lapse capability is really amazing. So far I'm happy with it but need to use it more before I recommend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcI9Q_oz2Q

I guess you needed an external battery attached to get a 5 hour time-lapse?
2019-1-25
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Trikke Posted at 1-22 03:43
The OP is not perfect and neither it will ever be, just like everything else perfection doesn't excist, and those who says otherwise do not have a real life feeling.
But those who want a smile size camera that can be ready every minut a day then it's a good bang for the buck.
Just work around your personal problems with the OP and everything will be fine.

Nice video! Thanks for posting
2019-1-25
Use props
fanseb6952c5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1549140 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Trikke Posted at 1-22 03:43

Mooi verhaal , kijk eens goed naar je drone film .
Het is een wirwar van kleur instellingen
2019-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules