Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Image Processing Software Output Files
720 7 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaSurveyor
lvl.3
United States

I recently processed 1,079 images flown for a survey project I am working on. After processing the output geo-referenced tiff image was 4.7Gb. I am unable to import this image into autocad or even open the image at all. Do any other Surveyors here have experience dealing with large post processing output files? Thanks.
2019-1-21
Use props
MRCoote
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi GaSurveyor

What software did you use to produce the file? What file format is it?
If it is a geotiff, you'll need to have enable the BigTiff format for anything over 4GB.
Perhaps try another file format, JPG, ECW etc if possible.
Also, try lowering the resolution at first and see if that opens. Then go from there.
Have you tried viewing it with Irfanview? It's a free image viewer and handles large files really well.

Hopefully one of those tips will assist you. If not, if you're able/willing to share the file, go ahead and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers for now
M
2019-1-22
Use props
GaSurveyor
lvl.3
United States

I use PrecisionMapper to process my drone images. How do I enable BigTiff? I have never tried Irfanview but I will look into that option as well. My real problem is that I can not import the image into autocad which i use to draft the survey. My guess is I may have to break the mission up into several smaller missions in order to reduce the output file sizes. Thanks for your input!
2019-1-23
Use props
MRCoote
lvl.1

South Africa

GaSurveyor Posted at 1-23 05:00
I use PrecisionMapper to process my drone images. How do I enable BigTiff? I have never tried Irfanview but I will look into that option as well. My real problem is that I can not import the image into autocad which i use to draft the survey. My guess is I may have to break the mission up into several smaller missions in order to reduce the output file sizes. Thanks for your input!

I'm not sure about Precision Mapper and how to enable a BigTIFF - a quick Google search didn't tell me much more either.

In Agisoft Metashape, for example, the option to enable BigTIFF is a simple tickbox. The hassle may be that the image is not in the BigTIFF format and therefore an invalid Tiff file.

Try the Irfanview option I think. If it opens, then the file is fine and maybe AutoCAD is to blame. (Did a quick check and seems AutoCAD doesn't handle BigTiff well) If it doesn't work in Irfanview though,  then the file is corrupt.

Can you possibly export the file as ECW or another format?
2019-1-23
Use props
GaSurveyor
lvl.3
United States

Thanks man, I will try Irfanview. Unfortunately i cant export to any other format until I at least get it to open. Ill keep you updated. On a side note I have a good friend who just moved back to South Africa, East London area.
2019-1-23
Use props
MRCoote
lvl.1

South Africa

GaSurveyor Posted at 1-23 06:11
Thanks man, I will try Irfanview. Unfortunately i cant export to any other format until I at least get it to open. Ill keep you updated. On a side note I have a good friend who just moved back to South Africa, East London area.

Sounds good - hope you come right.

*If you haven't already, maybe give Global Mapper a go. You can run it in trial mode and if you like it, it is useful for topo work, line mapping, volume calcs, point cloud editing (and they've just released a photogram type option that could do your processing too - just a thought)

East London hey! Nice part of the country. I'm up in Jo'burg. I think South Africans tend to get around!

All the best
2019-1-23
Use props
GaSurveyor
lvl.3
United States

Infanview worked, its taking a long time to process due to the huge file size. Do you know if I can reduce the file size in the Irfanview software?
2019-1-23
Use props
MRCoote
lvl.1

South Africa

GaSurveyor Posted at 1-23 06:29
Infanview worked, its taking a long time to process due to the huge file size. Do you know if I can reduce the file size in the Irfanview software?

Okay, that's good that it opens at least.

Because it's geo-referenced, it may not work with Irfanview if you resample or reduce the size. Properties may be lost.

But perhaps try and "Save As" ECW format and see if that works in AutoCAD. I know AutoCAD can read ECW.

If it doesn't work , then you'll need to use Global Mapper, ArcGIS, QGIS or similar - because these will keep the geo-referencing.

Else, upload to Google drive or Dropbox or something similar and I'll do it quickly for you - if you like.
2019-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules