Any software tips to reduce the bobbing effect?
9633 18 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi guys.  Is there a way to reduce some of. the bobbing effect (up and down movement) in post for walking footage?  One of the selling points of the osmo pocket is that I can literally record anywhere, however there are times when the ninja walk is not an option at all.  I’m fully aware that all 3 axis gimbals do this.  I have tried the warp stabilizer in Premiere Pro but I’m not getting good results. What’s your method?  Any post editing tips are greatly appreciated.  
2019-1-22
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

I've heard that this happens because of its light weight, maybe if you put it on a selfie stick it may help. I've yet to do this but it's worth a try as it's something very annoying.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I hope one of our valued Customer can share their tips and suggestion with regards to your query. Should you have other concern, please let us know. We're here to help. Thank you.
2019-1-22
Use props
RobCass
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can try:
1) hold your OSMO Pocket at a 45 degree angle instead of upright (parrellel to your body) as it seems to reduce the bobbing a bit for me. Seems like the OSMO Pocket gimbal head can keep up a bit better this way. This will not eliminate it 100%, but for me it has help reduce it a bit.
2) Walking a little slower and slower stepping as well will help as well. As with other gimbals, learning to roll your feet (ninja walk) instead of up/down steps minimizes the impact of your feet hitting the ground and then transferring that to the OSMO Pocket.
3) Do not keep your arm super stiff, let your arms act like a shock absorber and then the gimbal does not need to over compensate.
4) Combo of all three above and just practice with any of these techniques help and try to use them when you are out filming.
Gimbals without a z-axis stabilizer will always have some form of bobbing, just need to practice to minimize it.

2019-1-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Camera shake in post-production is relatively easy to rectify if the camera movement isn't too great but a moving camera is constantly changing distances between camera to main subject and background which is almost impossible to correct for. It has to be taken into consideration when the footage is taken and not after. There is no easy fix short of practice. If anyone finds a mechanical solution that is portable, small and easy to use that actually works I'm sure they will make a lot of money.  Either that or get a Segway and deflate the tyres slightly :-)
One reason for me getting the Osmo Pocket was to get away from using my DSLR with a glidecam which is more difficult to use and much heavier.
2019-1-22
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

it's called a "z axis stabilizer."

You think OP is the only camera with this problem?
2019-1-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-22 09:10
Camera shake in post-production is relatively easy to rectify if the camera movement isn't too great but a moving camera is constantly changing distances between camera to main subject and background which is almost impossible to correct for. It has to be taken into consideration when the footage is taken and not after. There is no easy fix short of practice. If anyone finds a mechanical solution that is portable, small and easy to use that actually works I'm sure they will make a lot of money.  Either that or get a Segway and deflate the tyres slightly :-)
One reason for me getting the Osmo Pocket was to get away from using my DSLR with a glidecam which is more difficult to use and much heavier.

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree, who ever comes out with a micro z-axis solution is going to make a lot of money!  
2019-1-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Upscaleman Posted at 1-22 09:52
it's called a "z axis stabilizer."

You think OP is the only camera with this problem?

I know what a z-axis does.  I was just wondering if the bobbing was something that I can edit on post.  I will try to be a better z-axis smooth operator next time.  Lol.  
2019-1-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

RobCass Posted at 1-22 08:41
You can try:
1) hold your OSMO Pocket at a 45 degree angle instead of upright (parrellel to your body) as it seems to reduce the bobbing a bit for me. Seems like the OSMO Pocket gimbal head can keep up a bit better this way. This will not eliminate it 100%, but for me it has help reduce it a bit.
2) Walking a little slower and slower stepping as well will help as well. As with other gimbals, learning to roll your feet (ninja walk) instead of up/down steps minimizes the impact of your feet hitting the ground and then transferring that to the OSMO Pocket.

Thanks I appreciate these tips a lot.  Sometimes it's hard to do this at malls or places where you want to go unnoticed, but for everything else definitely these tips will help a lot.  I will try the 45 degree angle next time.  
2019-1-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

MagicRide Posted at 1-22 08:19
I've heard that this happens because of its light weight, maybe if you put it on a selfie stick it may help. I've yet to do this but it's worth a try as it's something very annoying.

You got me thinking about the weight.  I haven't really paid close attention if the footage looks the same with or without the phone attached.  I will try it with a monopod next time.  Thanks.  
2019-1-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I would try with Davinci Resolve... has great stabilizer....

Premiere Pro is so 20th century....
2019-1-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-22 12:06
I would try with Davinci Resolve... has great stabilizer....

Premiere Pro is so 20th century....

That looks interesting!  Would the free version have the stabilizer option or only the paid version.  I'm already paying for Adobe's Creative Suite which I also use for Photoshop and Lightroom, so Premiere comes with it.  I heard of Resolve before, but never tried it.  I will check it out.  Thanks.  
2019-1-22
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 1-22 13:22
That looks interesting!  Would the free version have the stabilizer option or only the paid version.  I'm already paying for Adobe's Creative Suite which I also use for Photoshop and Lightroom, so Premiere comes with it.  I heard of Resolve before, but never tried it.  I will check it out.  Thanks.

No image stabilization is going to work because the camera position is changing along the Z-axis. When it does this you have parallax problems that simply cannot be corrected in post. You see, the motion is more pronounced on near objects than on distant objects. You can isolate the movement on one but not both.
2019-1-22
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

There's always the "Ninja Walk":

https://gopro-gimbal.com/how-to-walk-with-a-gimbal/
2019-1-22
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

In what situation would the ninja walk not be possible? Surely if you're walking with the gimbal anyway, you simply bend your knees more?
2019-1-22
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

I am fully behind the Z-Axis stabilizer.  I have ordered one of these.   I will prob put it on a stick, just to add a bit of extra weight.

2019-1-22
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

I have to laugh at the video with the z-axis stabilizer. Isn't the whole purpose of the OP to be small enough so that you don't stand out like you're carrying an erector set on your hand.
2019-1-23
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-23 20:07
Adobe Premiere ProCC has a warp stabilizer camera effect under distort. I have also used this in a super pinch! https://video-stabilize.com/

Yeah I have tried Premiere.  I agree with everyone who mentioned that the bobbing is impossible to remove in a straight horizon.  However, I noticed some minor improvement for shots that I recorded walking pointing at 2 o'clock like store front window.  
2019-1-24
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

RSW Posted at 1-22 14:21
No image stabilization is going to work because the camera position is changing along the Z-axis. When it does this you have parallax problems that simply cannot be corrected in post. You see, the motion is more pronounced on near objects than on distant objects. You can isolate the movement on one but not both.

I agree and thanks for the explanation.   I will try to plan my shots from now on so that I can avoid issues that cannot be fixed in post.
2019-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules