Mavic 2 Failed and fell from sky
1401 16 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans58d2b076
lvl.1
United States

Had my Mavic 2 zoom about a week when it appears to have lost power and fell from the sky.  It was going good till I lost connection to the controller.  Freaked out I waited for it to reconnect or return to home.  Neither happened.  I contacted DJI to see what could be done and they said my logs were inconclusive.  I was able to location the drone and when I found the drone all 4 propellers were broke and the front left landing leg was bent but other than that the drone, camera, gimbal, and battery appeared to be in good shape.  It powered on and with new propellers I believe it would have flown.  Not wanting to risk anything I sent it in for repair and evaluation.  The repair list came back with me needing a new aircraft and battery.  The same 2 items I sent in with a hefty charge and no explanation.  Is this normal?  The aircraft didn't appear to need anything other than a landing leg and propellers.  If both the battery and aircraft need to be replaced wouldn't that be warranty as they are suggesting there is something more wrong with them?  I wish I had taken a picture of the aircraft before I sent it in but I didn't.

Below is the flight log

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/B2TX8V1I6ENN6LM9SAA1/

Did I do anything wrong?  I located it close to the last known location in an empty corn field so I couldn't have hit anything and I had plenty of battery.

Thanks
2019-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sounds wrong, when dji said they did not have enough info, had they checked the log from the aircraft ?

Will take a look at your logs soon.
2019-1-22
Use props
fans58d2b076
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-22 10:38
Sounds wrong, when dji said they did not have enough info, had they checked the log from the aircraft ?

Will take a look at your logs soon.

This is the analysis from DJI

1. The GPS signal was fine and the aircraft worked under Sport mode;
2. T=04:35, H=78.7m, D=437.1m, the aircraft flew forwards after the pilot pushed up the elevator stick, then the APP record ended;
3. The takeoff point: 41.3172891 -88.8483405; the last point: 41.3135285 -88.8467993.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterwards.
2019-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans58d2b076 Posted at 1-22 10:40
This is the analysis from DJI

1. The GPS signal was fine and the aircraft worked under Sport mode;

My question was did dji view the .dat file from your aircraft, that sounds and reads like a log from your app..

I also looked at your log there is no pilot error, but app log ends without any other information, your .dat file which is in your aircraft should have much more information, if it doesn’t then this would be a problem for dji not you.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, we do feel sad to read about what happened to your aircraft. I'd love to help you with this. Kindly PM us the associated case number ( CAS ) for us to check and seek assistance with the appropriate team to reassess. We appreciate your time and effort reaching us and giving the opportunity to help. Please do reach us the soonest time possible. Thank you.
2019-1-22
Use props
fans58d2b076
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-22 11:05
My question was did dji view the .dat file from your aircraft, that sounds and reads like a log from your app..

I also looked at your log there is no pilot error, but app log ends without any other information, your .dat file which is in your aircraft should have much more information, if it doesn’t then this would be a problem for dji not you.

If they did they didn't provide me with any results.  
2019-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans58d2b076 Posted at 1-22 11:46
If they did they didn't provide me with any results.

That report you received is from your app I would insist if they have your craft that they check your .dat file and issue you with a full report, if you crashed for instance they would see this in your .dat file they should also be able to see if you had a power failure.

I think dji Diana has offered to help you, I think you should take her up on this. Good Luck.
2019-1-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ya like hallmark says, have to dump your .DAT data files and submit them as that contains more info and raw data and your log files just end prematurely and makes it hard to validate anything..

as it stands, there appears to be no pilot error... so if your .DAT files lines up with this then Dji should free of charge replace/repair your aircraft.   
2019-1-22
Use props
fans58d2b076
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-22 12:15
ya like hallmark says, have to dump your .DAT data files and submit them as that contains more info and raw data and your log files just end prematurely and makes it hard to validate anything..

as it stands, there appears to be no pilot error... so if your .DAT files lines up with this then Dji should free of charge replace/repair your aircraft.

I did pull off that .dat file before sending in the drone and have that but don't know what to read it with or how to share it.  
2019-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans58d2b076 Posted at 1-22 12:55
I did pull off that .dat file before sending in the drone and have that but don't know what to read it with or how to share it.

There is a guy on the forum that might help you with that. He’s msinger you’ll find him on link below just PM him, he should be able to help.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Hi there , I have replied your PM, please check, thank you.
2019-1-22
Use props
fans58d2b076
lvl.1
United States

As it turns out I guess no evaluation was done on my drone after it was sent in.  I don't know why that was.  I believe DJI Diana was the one who got this escalated as I was having no luck when calling in.  After she stepped in to help I received a few calls regarding this and my drone was evaluated and it was determined that it failed and is being covered under warranty.  Quite a change from a repair bill of over 700 to being covered.  Thanks for all that helped me with this.
2019-1-28
Use props
djiuser_0sA78CmqJIbT
lvl.1

United States

My Phantom 4 Pro fell out of the sky within the first week of flying it, and service is claiming the repair is not covered under warranty. I am a licensed pilot and have years of experience. The battery was fully inserted and propellers were securely attached. Can someone tell me what happened, because service people won't tell me?
I have the flight log on my google drive.
2019-1-28
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

djiuser_0sA78CmqJIbT Posted at 1-28 19:14
My Phantom 4 Pro fell out of the sky within the first week of flying it, and service is claiming the repair is not covered under warranty. I am a licensed pilot and have years of experience. The battery was fully inserted and propellers were securely attached. Can someone tell me what happened, because service people won't tell me?
I have the flight log on my google drive.

Hi there, sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, the quotation was sent to you after the damage assessment without the data analysis, if you have any concern of it, we will apply the data analysis to figure out what happened to the drone.
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

fans58d2b076 Posted at 1-28 10:18
As it turns out I guess no evaluation was done on my drone after it was sent in.  I don't know why that was.  I believe DJI Diana was the one who got this escalated as I was having no luck when calling in.  After she stepped in to help I received a few calls regarding this and my drone was evaluated and it was determined that it failed and is being covered under warranty.  Quite a change from a repair bill of over 700 to being covered.  Thanks for all that helped me with this.

Glad to know it turns out to be a warranty case in the end, sorry again for the previous troubles, the drone has been shipped out and hope you will receive it soon. If you need any further assistance, please keep us updated, we will do our best to help.
2019-1-29
Use props
djiuser_0sA78CmqJIbT
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-29 01:23
Hi there, sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, the quotation was sent to you after the damage assessment without the data analysis, if you have any concern of it, we will apply the data analysis to figure out what happened to the drone.

When I filled out the service request, I made sure that I checked the box "Would you like data analysis to find out the cause of the incident?" but I guess they just ignore that box until they provide the customer with a quote, expecting them to pay without providing a cause of the accident.
2019-1-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

djiuser_0sA78CmqJIbT Posted at 1-30 10:18
When I filled out the service request, I made sure that I checked the box "Would you like data analysis to find out the cause of the incident?" but I guess they just ignore that box until they provide the customer with a quote, expecting them to pay without providing a cause of the accident.

Hi, I managed to look into your case and kindly wait for an email regarding with the results. Don't worry, we're still working on it. Thank you for your patience.
2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules