Acess OP directly from Laptop
1573 9 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rjwPhoto
lvl.2
United States

I accidentally discovered recently that....
  -  I can connect the OP with the DJI supplied cable directly into a USB port on my laptop and on the OP screen a 'Connect to Computer' msg appears with options to Accept or Reject.
  - If I Accept, the OP shows up in Windows Explorer (on a Win10 device) as a USB drive.
  - For me, that's great. All my images & videos are going to wind up on the laptop anyway, so having an option to bypass having to use the phone as a middle man to make that happen is a definite plus.

There is one downside. Every time I do this, the connection to the computer eventually gets severed. Sometimes the OP 'usb drive' in Win Explorer just disappears when this happens. Sometimes the entire Win Explorer window disappears. The connection is pretty shortlived and almost seems like it's timing out.

While I don't entirely rule out the possibility the problem is originating on the laptop, it does seem the most most likely root cause involes the OP as I can attach a variety of USB hard drives and/or thumb drives to the same laptop and never have the same problem.

Is this supported functionality? IF so, any idea what might be causing the issue?

Thanks!
2019-1-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

No Idea, but my Nikon Program (Nikon Transfer 2) recognises all files produced by the Osmo Pocket on my PC and auto loads to download to a Directory of my choosing and can do backups at the same time. The only files it doesn't pick up on are the Timelapse and Panorama images as they are in different folders on the Pocket. I don't have any connection issues using Win7 Pro.
[Edit]
I don't have connection problems with the Pocket but I did in the past with other high-speed cards and the problem turned out to be deleting images in camera before downloading. It caused the cards to stop transferring files. Since then I delete any unwanted images after downloading and have never had the problem since. Also, format your card in camera after each download and backup is made. It can help to reduce these types of incidents.  

2019-1-22
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

How else did you think the OP content would get to your computer?  Pulling out microSD cards all day was never DJI's answer.

Works just fine for me.
2019-1-22
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

I always copy my data from the OP by connecting it directly to my laptop.

I tested this also with the WIFI module attached, and my laptop did see that something got connected, but  that's about it. I was not able to connect to the OP.
I've no clue what could be causing your error. For me it's always working fine. That is. As long as I remove the dongle / connector from the OP.
2019-1-22
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

I get faster transfer with a good USB SD card reader. But I also tested transfer the files with the OP directly with the cable and there was no issue at all.
2019-1-22
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I have no problems with copy/paste OP's files (Win7 Ultimate)
2019-1-22
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-22 14:33
No Idea, but my Nikon Program (Nikon Transfer 2) recognises all files produced by the Osmo Pocket on my PC and auto loads to download to a Directory of my choosing and can do backups at the same time. The only files it doesn't pick up on are the Timelapse and Panorama images as they are in different folders on the Pocket. I don't have any connection issues using Win7 Pro.
[Edit]
I don't have connection problems with the Pocket but I did in the past with other high-speed cards and the problem turned out to be deleting images in camera before downloading. It caused the cards to stop transferring files. Since then I delete any unwanted images after downloading and have never had the problem since. Also, format your card in camera after each download and backup is made. It can help to reduce these types of incidents.

Thanks.  I don't have any issue dl'ing files if I can maintain the connection. For me, it's just that the connection goes dead *frequently*. After it's initially established, I'm lucky if it's active for more than a minute before it dies.

Depending how much data I'm trying to transfer, it's been taking several sessions to transfer all w/o the connection dying.
2019-1-22
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Upscaleman Posted at 1-22 14:42
How else did you think the OP content would get to your computer?  Pulling out microSD cards all day was never DJI's answer.

Works just fine for me.

Pulling out microSD cards was precisely the answer I saw as an alternative to transferring to phone first.

But thanks so much for you 'helpful' reply.
2019-1-22
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.2
United States

NoëI Posted at 1-22 14:49
I always copy my data from the OP by connecting it directly to my laptop.

I tested this also with the WIFI module attached, and my laptop did see that something got connected, but  that's about it. I was not able to connect to the OP.

"...That is. As long as I remove the dongle / connector from the OP."

That was my issue. As soon as I removed the dongle, it connected and stayed connected. THANKS!
2019-1-22
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-22 14:33
No Idea, but my Nikon Program (Nikon Transfer 2) recognises all files produced by the Osmo Pocket on my PC and auto loads to download to a Directory of my choosing and can do backups at the same time. The only files it doesn't pick up on are the Timelapse and Panorama images as they are in different folders on the Pocket. I don't have any connection issues using Win7 Pro.
[Edit]

Yep, now that I've figured out how to maintain the connection, I'm able to do the same with Adobe Bridge.
2019-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules