unexplained flight into my head
904 10 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

I need help in understanding why my drone flew into me...  I do not know how to access the telemetry but assume that it would show if some command was issued by me causing this...  I had used the DJI app's automated Take Off from one of those orange helipads on the ground, and it was hovering.  My intent was to let it hover a bit to warm up.  I was holding the controller with a mavmount and using an IPad Pro, just as I have every time I've flown.  I was in a seat about 6' from the hovering drone, with the side of the drone facing me (not front), looking down at my screen, when it suddenly flew right at my head, or maybe right at the controller?  It was so fast I didn't have any time to react and ended up flailing at it with the IPad, whereupon it flipped over and motors stopped it hit the ground.  In P mode, as always.  I did shift in my seat when it happened, so I am wondering if I hit something inadvertantly on the controller causing it to do that, but, even if I did, I don't see how it could fly into me with obstacle avoidance...  anyway, I certainly would like to figure out what happened so that I can prevent it from ever happening again.  Maybe someone can help me with analyzing the telemetry data?  
2019-1-22
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Upload the flight log so the community can help you out.

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-22
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

The flight log on your mobile device is what's needed. Follow the instructions here on how to retrieve it, upload it to that web site, and then post a link to it back in this thread and you'll get some help.
2019-1-22
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Italy

had you set a quick shot by mistake? An Active Track? was it almost dark?.... or have you accidentally hit the cable that connects the controller to the ipad that is a little caught in the steering lever? ..Thoughts
2019-1-22
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

Gimpy Posted at 1-22 15:13
The flight log on your mobile device is what's needed. Follow the instructions here on how to retrieve it, upload it to that web site, and then post a link to it back in this thread and you'll get some help.

Ok, working on it.  Did not know anything about file sharing- not device savvy.  Thx for the link.  Having to download something to allow file sharing, then I get on locating the Flight Log.
2019-1-22
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

EnricoBrun Posted at 1-22 15:17
had you set a quick shot by mistake? An Active Track? was it almost dark?.... or have you accidentally hit the cable that connects the controller to the ipad that is a little caught in the steering lever? ..Thoughts

no, hadn't set anything, had just powered on and did a Take Off.  was not almost dark...  as for accidentally hitting something, I can't rule that out, but I will say it came at my location with singular purpose, a faster response than ever I've had hitting the joysticks, fast, straight and without hesitation (as I've never seen with the obstacle protection enabled, which it should have been).
2019-1-22
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

Gimpy Posted at 1-22 15:13
The flight log on your mobile device is what's needed. Follow the instructions here on how to retrieve it, upload it to that web site, and then post a link to it back in this thread and you'll get some help.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/21C0YUKMXD6QXK5DI9T4/#

does this work?  or am I supposed to download it?  let me know...  i believe this is the flight, after it happened, although I put on body armor, I flew several more times, to access any damage that there might be.  but this is the first file of the day, so I think it's the one...
2019-1-22
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

greenbaron Posted at 1-22 17:08
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/21C0YUKMXD6QXK5DI9T4/#

does this work?  or am I supposed to download it?  let me know...  i believe this is the flight, after it happened, although I put on body armor, I flew several more times, to access any damage that there might be.  but this is the first file of the day, so I think it's the one...

So, I don't really know how to interpret this- it was probably in my face when the upward obstacle warning appears...  my question is why did it come straight at me at almost 5mph with me unaware of any input to the controller?
2019-1-22
Use props
Mavic Flyboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2246841 ft
United States

I’m very interested in this post. I have had similar issues. I have “lost control” of my drone twice recently.

In my situation I have flown the drone fine but at the end of my flight when I’m bringing the drone in to land - it just starts to veer off and I have to hold the controller sticks totally off center to keep the drone hovering.

The first time this happened it was headed backwards right towards my head also.

I’m trying to get it to happen again so I can upload the logs.

Let me know what u find.

I have lost a good deal of confidence in the mavic pro 2 - never ever had this issue with the mavic 1.
2019-1-22
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

Hoookay then......  after looking at that flight log, I think I just figured out what happened.  I assume the two yellow dots in crosshairs on the lower right of the map represent the joysticks in a neutral position (no input).  Clicking thru the time stamps, at 12.9 sec there is a left input on the right joystick indicated, probably knocked into it somehow, being as I was sitting, had a coat on, shifted, who knows?  Didn’t mean to do that, certainly, but clearly that is what happened, as the log shows.  omg what a dumb bunny.  This was the first time I’ve flown the drone from a seat, usually I’m standing with the mavmount and controller hanging from a lanyard around my neck.......    Soooooooo, I guess I flew the drone into my head.  Well, despite what you might be thinking, that is good news.  #1, it was not some random unpredictable thing that might occur again.  #2, I now know how to upload and to some extent interpret a flight log- didn’t have a clue about that before!  And all it cost me was a fresh set of props.  Carry on, nothin happenin here, folks...
2019-1-22
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Italy

EnricoBrun Posted at 1-22 15:17

And what did I tell you?
Even once it happened to me to adjust the inclination of my iPad and the cable (a bit too long) and damn done a buttonhole just above the lever but fortunately I did not pull anything and I removed the cable!
2019-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules