3615 31 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Osmo Pocket does many things just fine, but this is definitely not an action camera. Direct mount on a mountain bike frame will render terrible footage because the gimbal can't tolerate hard shakes and vibrations. An suspension system is necessary to damp and absorb such vibrations, and a human body usually does the job good enough. Here's different solution to get rid of vibrations and allow for yet another Osmo Pocket use:

2019-1-22
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good work.
2019-1-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I seriously like it, costing could be an issue I would imagine, but super cool just the same. I want one lol
2019-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Very nice Matt, there’s no substitute for thinking. Good job.
2019-1-23
Use props
jordier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58760 ft
Spain

good idea. I confirm that it is not useful on a bicycle. I installed it on a road bike and also a disaster. I will try it with some system similar to the one you have used
2019-1-23
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Actually when shooting action, you want some shakes.... looks more natural, dynamic and sporty so to say.... GoPro 7 has just right amount of stabilization for action. And in this video, still vibration can be seen, and probably could be better eliminated in post than with some sort of dampening.
2019-1-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Matthew, thank you for sharing your positive feedback. It is one way of creatively maximizing the usage of the product. However, please bear in mind that it is not recommended since it is not been tested to use in this way. Thanks for your support and understanding.
2019-1-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool.  Let's see the truck body that goes with that rig !!!!
2019-1-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-23 08:40
Hi Matthew, thank you for sharing your positive feedback. It is one way of creatively maximizing the usage of the product. However, please bear in mind that it is not recommended since it is not been tested to use in this way. Thanks for your support and understanding.

Oh Paladin.... you can't be serious !! :-)  Not in ANY life time would DJI be expected to be "tested to use in this way"  He's even using the DJI accessory mount.  Where's your list of Approved attachments and uses.  It's obvious (looking at Matthew's avatar and DJI icons) that he's a veteran DJI customer.  Give him some credit for his creativity.  That's one creative rig and it looks more secure that the suction cup car mounts that are sold for the Osmo (original) !!
2019-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 1-23 09:22
Very cool.  Let's see the truck body that goes with that rig !!!!

It's not going to happen ... There's no truck body considered in this project. Instead, I'll have to develop some cage around OP to protect it during inevitable rollovers in rough terrain. It's mounted on a 4x4  truck, after all .
2019-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-23 07:21
Actually when shooting action, you want some shakes.... looks more natural, dynamic and sporty so to say.... GoPro 7 has just right amount of stabilization for action. And in this video, still vibration can be seen, and probably could be better eliminated in post than with some sort of dampening.

You're right, some shakiness is acceptable and even desired in this sort of filming. The idea behind vibration damping suspension is to eliminate artifacts created by gimbal, which is not designed to tolerate such abuse.
2019-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jordier Posted at 1-23 05:42
good idea. I confirm that it is not useful on a bicycle. I installed it on a road bike and also a disaster. I will try it with some system similar to the one you have used

I would suggest to narrow your research to a chest mount device. GoPro is offering one you probably will be able to use, DJI is also planning to release such accessory. Human body has the ability to absorb and damp a lot of shakiness during i.e. mountain biking ...
2019-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-23 05:06
Very nice Matt, there’s no substitute for thinking. Good job.

Thank you, Brother Hall ...
2019-1-23
Use props
haubrich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1099268 ft
United States

Nicely done. I'm working on a similar project right now. That's why I bought the Osmo Pocket.
2019-1-23
Use props
haubrich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1099268 ft
United States

Nicely done. I'm working on a similar project right now. That's why I bought the Osmo Pocket.
2019-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

haubrich Posted at 1-23 14:20
Nicely done. I'm working on a similar project right now. That's why I bought the Osmo Pocket.

All right, keep us posted!
2019-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-23 20:15
My favorite thing is the little cable suspension system! Where did you get the idea of using cable as a suspension like that? Maybe its used more often than I know of.. But Navy uses are the only ones I've seen

The concept of cable vibration damper is known for long time and widely used in various industrial applications. However, action film industry adopted this idea for suspending heavy camera rigs mounted on vehicles. In this case the challenge was to make it ... pocket size ...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... ly/32714112994.html
2019-1-23
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

WebParrot Posted at 1-23 09:27
Oh Paladin.... you can't be serious !! :-)  Not in ANY life time would DJI be expected to be "tested to use in this way"  He's even using the DJI accessory mount.  Where's your list of Approved attachments and uses.  It's obvious (looking at Matthew's avatar and DJI icons) that he's a veteran DJI customer.  Give him some credit for his creativity.  That's one creative rig and it looks more secure that the suction cup car mounts that are sold for the Osmo (original) !!

Surely I am not the only person who just skips past the genrally unhelpful DJI bot responses?  We are sorry, and thanks for your support we will forward your request to a black hole.
2019-1-24
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-23 12:47
You're right, some shakiness is acceptable and even desired in this sort of filming. The idea behind vibration damping suspension is to eliminate artifacts created by gimbal, which is not designed to tolerate such abuse.

Yep, high frequency vibrations are always a problem and somewhat hard to dampen entirely.
2019-1-24
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-23 12:41
It's not going to happen ... There's no truck body considered in this project. Instead, I'll have to develop some cage around OP to protect it during inevitable rollovers in rough terrain. It's mounted on a 4x4  truck, after all .

Showed your video to my grandson ( "we" have a few RC 4x4's we built ) and his first response was, "when can we do that?" ...... cute kid :-)
2019-1-24
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 1-24 00:59
Surely I am not the only person who just skips past the genrally unhelpful DJI bot responses?  We are sorry, and thanks for your support we will forward your request to a black hole.

Yeah... it just seemed out of place and unnecessary.  I got a similar response when I showed that you can use a small " O " ring on a DJI Extension Rod ( designed for the original OSMO ) with a GoPro tripod mount.  It allows me to use the Pocket Accessory Mount with the Extension Rod and not damage the tripod mount (the Rod has "teeth" and the o-ring gives  resistance and keeps the attachment tight.)  Off topic, but to the same non-responsive, point.
2019-1-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 1-24 09:44
Yeah... it just seemed out of place and unnecessary.  I got a similar response when I showed that you can use a small " O " ring on a DJI Extension Rod ( designed for the original OSMO ) with a GoPro tripod mount.  It allows me to use the Pocket Accessory Mount with the Extension Rod and not damage the tripod mount (the Rod has "teeth" and the o-ring gives  resistance and keeps the attachment tight.)  Off topic, but to the same non-responsive, point.

Oh, I wouldn't get to excited about this ... After over 4 years of participating on DJI forum I've seen moderators response of all kind. Some intentionally helpful and well conducted, some ridiculously incompetent, some irritatingly incompetent, lost in translation and useless. These kids aren't tech experts, they're responding accordingly to scripted instructions. But always, no matter what, convincingly assuring that your value as a DJI customer is appreciated and your concerns noted. That's their job description, not fault ...
2019-1-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 1-24 09:43
Showed your video to my grandson ( "we" have a few RC 4x4's we built ) and his first response was, "when can we do that?" ...... cute kid :-)

Original idea was to install Osmo Pro with X5 gimbal, but this rig is definitely too heavy for 1/10 size  vehicle. Ended up with modified (speed reduction) 1/5 scale LOSI Desert Buggy for big Osmo, Ronin-S or any professional size camera. This behemoth woks charmingly on street or sidewalk, obviously not too good off-road. Meantime DJI come up with Pocket, which resulted in smaller, terrain version of camera dolly.  
2019-1-24
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-24 14:01
Original idea was to install Osmo Pro with X5 gimbal, but this rig is definitely too heavy for 1/10 size  vehicle. Ended up with modified (speed reduction) 1/5 scale LOSI Desert Buggy for big Osmo, Ronin-S or any professional size camera. This behemoth woks charmingly on street or sidewalk, obviously not too good off-road. Meantime DJI come up with Pocket, which resulted in smaller, terrain version of camera dolly.

We bought two Traxxas TRX-4 build kits.  One has the traditional Range Rover body, the other a severely modified VW dessert buggy with 1/8th scale wheels.  I'm looking at your rig design and thinking about a mounting system that would attach to the Rover's roof rack.  Something where the Pocket would cantilever forward and lower, over the hood.  The extra weight up front would help on steeper climbs.  With the weather today ( -15 and 20 mph winds ) it's easy to get motivated with an indoors project!  Thanks for the motivation :-)
2019-1-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 1-25 07:51
We bought two Traxxas TRX-4 build kits.  One has the traditional Range Rover body, the other a severely modified VW dessert buggy with 1/8th scale wheels.  I'm looking at your rig design and thinking about a mounting system that would attach to the Rover's roof rack.  Something where the Pocket would cantilever forward and lower, over the hood.  The extra weight up front would help on steeper climbs.  With the weather today ( -15 and 20 mph winds ) it's easy to get motivated with an indoors project!  Thanks for the motivation :-)

Hmm, very challenging ... Rover body is already heavy enough to make TRX-4 tippy. I off-set wheels on my rig 19mm each side to provide more stable base. Here's what I'll do in your case:

1. spread wheels and install extra weights on axles.
2. mount OP on hood rather than on roof, and in flashlight position. 3-point silicone bulb suspension should do.
3. OP must be vibrations damped no matter what. The footage coming off non-suspended OP is worthless, you'll be much better with GoPro.
4. Develop some wire cage around OP. The vehicle will roll over sooner than later, damaging delicate camera (been there, did that ) ... Well, unless you're not planning to do extreme climbing ...

Good luck!
2019-1-25
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-25 14:20
Hmm, very challenging ... Rover body is already heavy enough to make TRX-4 tippy. I off-set wheels on my rig 19mm each side to provide more stable base. Here's what I'll do in your case:

1. spread wheels and install extra weights on axles.

Good suggestions!  Thx.  I think I'll consider incorporating some sort of simple single bar roll-cage over the gimbal.  Not planning any 'extreme' climbs, more like slow, deliberate crawls.  The tough stuff is saved for the VW.  It has a GoPro Session mounted to the front winch area.
2019-1-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 1-25 17:51
Good suggestions!  Thx.  I think I'll consider incorporating some sort of simple single bar roll-cage over the gimbal.  Not planning any 'extreme' climbs, more like slow, deliberate crawls.  The tough stuff is saved for the VW.  It has a GoPro Session mounted to the front winch area.

I've been thinking ... while in a hot tub ... Why don't you take the advantage of Rover's body and suspend Osmo below roof! You'll have to develop some sort of vibration damper similar to what DJI Phantom 3 drone had, positioning OP in flashlight mode, and sacrifice front window. But that should provide protection for camera. I hope the window cut-off will not jeopardize body stiffness too much. You may need to reinforce it somehow behind front posts to eliminate the floppiness of body, I don't know.   
2019-1-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thats cool! Great job!
2019-1-30
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2425 ft
United Kingdom

That's excellent. Regards
2020-3-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but this caught my interest as I started to think of a similar system for my Pocket 2, and I have a smallish (1/24 scale) rock crawler. I was wondering what kind of mounting/dampening systems I could create for it and if there was a reasonably safe way to add the option of using a extension rod for such a setup. But I guess could be way over my skill set. (I am somewhat a clunsy person when it comes to the metal/woodwork etc.)

Any thoughts after you created this? What went up perfectly, and what would you do otherwise now?

All ideas and feedback welcome.
2023-1-24
Use props
fans74e5d336
lvl.1
Italy

So nice to see santa testing the kids' toys!
2023-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules