Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
2019 Drone laws in Mexico
14385 20 2019-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ksato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27674 ft
United States

Hello everyone,

I'm going to Mexico city in 2 weeks from now. I also just recently got my first drone - Mavic Air. As much as I love flying my drone, I dont want to lose it or be revoked by any country government officials. Short story long. In 2018, flying a drone in Mexico was ligal, however accordign to some resurces and news, after december 2018, only Mexican citizens can register and fly drones in the country. Can someone clarify if I can still fly my drone in Mexico skies, or its been prohibided in some way?!

Thank you!
2019-1-23
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

According to this article https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-mexico/
You are correct, foreigners are not allowed to fly drones in Mexico,
So I wouldn’t risk it if I were you.

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We would recommend contacting the local authority and airlines in regards to this matter for you to be aware of their policies. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation when in terms of flying the drone in Mexico. You may also check the location to avoid the restricted areas using the link below. Thank you for the continued support and have a safe flight ahead.

www.dji.com/flysafe
2019-1-23
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

If you do take it there, then PLEASE reply here how did it go for you in Mexico, did you have any issues or not.
Thanks

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-24
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I believe the Rules for flying in Mexico have changed from 2018.
Mexico drone laws

According to Mexico’s national aviation authority, Mexico’s Directorate General of Civil Aeronautics (DGCA), flying a drone is legal in Mexico

For Commercial Drone Operations in Mexico you must be Mexican by birth

2019-1-25
Use props
Ksato
lvl.1
United States

Hey All,

I decided to take a drone with me in Mexico bringing with me also an original sales receipt so I wont get smashed with 16% VTA tax. I will inform you guys on how did it go. I will also try to clarify while I'm there if I actually can fly.
2019-1-28
Use props
Chazerix
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ksato Posted at 1-28 13:22
Hey All,

I decided to take a drone with me in Mexico bringing with me also an original sales receipt so I wont get smashed with 16% VTA tax. I will inform you guys on how did it go. I will also try to clarify while I'm there if I actually can fly.

So, how'd it go? I leave for Mexico in two days and was hoping you could share some insight. Thanks!
2019-2-12
Use props
Proteus88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105026 ft
Canada

Would love to know as well!
2019-3-5
Use props
fansd81bac8c
New

United States

Landed in Cancun the other day, no problems at all with customs or bringing my mavic air into Mexico. They did ask “what type of electronics i had in my bag?”- simply replied a drone and on i went. Been flying around the hotel and getting some great shots of the beach.
2019-5-25
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd81bac8c Posted at 5-25 04:18
Landed in Cancun the other day, no problems at all with customs or bringing my mavic air into Mexico. They did ask “what type of electronics i had in my bag?”- simply replied a drone and on i went. Been flying around the hotel and getting some great shots of the beach.

Good to know. Going to Cancun in 1 month. Did you take the Mavic Air? Anybody from the resorts tell you not to fly? Any signs posted that you noticed?
2019-5-25
Use props
fansd81bac8c
New

United States

Bing Err Posted at 5-25 16:03
Good to know. Going to Cancun in 1 month. Did you take the Mavic Air? Anybody from the resorts tell you not to fly? Any signs posted that you noticed?

No signs are posted, no security or Mexican police strolling the beach trying to catch you flying your drone. With the crash of the waves, the wind and music playing, you can’t even hear the drone.  I’ve flown all different times throughout the days here.
2019-5-26
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd81bac8c Posted at 5-26 06:03
No signs are posted, no security or Mexican police strolling the beach trying to catch you flying your drone. With the crash of the waves, the wind and music playing, you can’t even hear the drone.  I’ve flown all different times throughout the days here.

Good to know. Did you take the Mavic Air?
2019-5-26
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178688 ft
Canada

Going to the Mayan Riviera at the end of June. I'm taking my Zoom with me. Hopefully i won't have any trouble at the airport when arriving.
Would love to get some amazing beach and ocean scenes!
2019-5-28
Use props
fansd81bac8c
New

United States

Bing Err Posted at 5-26 16:27
Good to know. Did you take the Mavic Air?

Yes I had my mavic air with me.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Basically, you can risk flying it in Mexico but if they confiscate it and demand they keep it otherwise you remain in jail then it might have been a better idea to not bring it?  If you want to fly in vacation spots do it where it's ok to do so but I assume everyone would do it so they have to have regulation.  The other idea is to sneak in, sneak it up, get what you need, and leave.
2019-5-30
Use props
KBridge20
lvl.2
United States

Wanted to bump this thread. I'll be heading to Tulum in about a month. Any other insight others can provide would be helpful.
2019-8-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 18:24
Basically, you can risk flying it in Mexico but if they confiscate it and demand they keep it otherwise you remain in jail then it might have been a better idea to not bring it?  If you want to fly in vacation spots do it where it's ok to do so but I assume everyone would do it so they have to have regulation.  The other idea is to sneak in, sneak it up, get what you need, and leave.

I think the "sneak in, sneak it up, get what you need, and leave." advice is good practice when flying abroad,  I always practice it, especially somewhere I don't speak the language.  

That said i was flying back from photographing San Gimignano in Italy and a family arrived at my take off spot and they loved watching the drone.
2019-8-8
Use props
Peto
New

United States

Just an FYI - I too am taking a trip to Cancun on 12/18/19 and through my research I reached out to the hotel to check their policy and found that flying the Drone on the resort grounds was prohibited.   
2019-12-12
Use props
63ragtopbug
lvl.1

United States

All good info, won a trip through work to Cancun in 2 months and though how perfect my Mavic Mini would be to travel with.  Still not sure I want to risk it as it's only 2 months old.
2020-2-10
Use props
Ksato
lvl.1
United States

Hey Guys,

So Mexico, Caribbeans, Europe went fine, however regulations still exists locally, so be aware. In the airport  you just walking with your drone bag and I've never had any questions asked regarding my drone or even my batteries that I kept like I should.
2020-5-2
Use props
MarkWorldWide
lvl.1

Mexico

I've spent a lot of time in Mexico and are currently living in Tulum for a few months. I've never seen anyone care about a drone other than thinking it's cool - including the police. If someone ever did think it was a problem, there is no rule in Mexico that $200 pesos won't resolve. No one is going to confiscate your drone even in the worse case. They rather just have you pay an on the spot fine. $200 Pesos is $10 USD. If you were stopped at the airport, it's just to inspect your bags to see if you're bringing anything brand new that you should be paying an import duty on.
2021-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules