MAAC - New Rules for Drones in Canada
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC)

New Rules for Drones in Canada                

Canada’s civil aviation authority, Transport Canada (TC), published new regulations for unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) on January 9, 2019. UAS are typically referred to as remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) or drones. The new regulations go into effect June 1, 2019 and require operators to pass a mandatory knowledge exam and a practical flight review in order to obtain a permit. RPAS operations are divided into Basic or Advanced operations and place restrictions on aircraft weight, airspace and operator age.

In a conversation with AMA, Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) President Peter Schaffer stated MAAC members are exempt from these new regulations.  You can read his statement in full below.

To all MAAC Members,

Re: Transport Canada Gazette II news release of January 10, 2019

We would like to advise you that the anticipated new regulations for Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS ) have now been published. However, it should be clearly understood that nothing has changed for MAAC members and even though the regulations have now been published, they do not take effect until 1st June 2019. Until that date the Interim Order Respecting the use of Model Aircraft remains in effect, and as this order does not apply to MAAC operations, MAAC members can continue to operate as we always have.

Once the new regulations do come into effect, they will apply to all aircraft without a pilot onboard, whether for recreational or non-recreational purposes. However, be assured that MAAC continues to working with Transport Canada to ensure your current privileges are protected. As we advised you in the last email update, MAAC is working with Transport Canada on an exemption from the new regulations. With this exemption, once the new regulations do come into effect, MAAC members will enjoy the same freedoms they always have. It is expected that the MAAC exemption will be approved well before the new regulations come into effect on 1st June 2019. In the meantime please see the attached letter from Transport Canada, Letter – AARV – MAAC – 2019-01-09 , showing their commitment to these ongoing efforts and the preservation of our privileges.

MAAC leadership continues to work for its members and to ensure that we can all enjoy our passion of operating model aircraft. We will provide additional updates, once we have secured the exemption. Until then, please let me repeat that nothing has changed for MAAC members and you can continue to operate as you always have.

On behalf of the MAAC transport Canada Advisory Group

Peter Schaffer

President – MAAC

AMA members who frequently visit Canada and our Canadian Affiliate Members should continue to monitor MAAC’s website and social media for the latest information.

2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing this informative information regarding the New Rules for Drones in Canada. This information will be a very big help for all our Canadian DJI members and customers. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ken, are you coming up to visit..

Bring your camp axe and hunting boots... haha

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-24 08:08
Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing this informative information regarding the New Rules for Drones in Canada. This information will be a very big help for all our Canadian DJI members and customers. Thank you for your support.

You are always welcome to come on up to Alberta and spend a few weeks, in the pristine wilderness...

Bring extra SIM cards.... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-24 08:14
You are always welcome to come on up to Alberta and spend a few weeks, in the pristine wilderness...

Thank you for the invite RedHotPoker. I will definitely ask for tips from you once I have a chance to visit Canada in the near future.
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-24 09:41
Thank you for the invite RedHotPoker. I will definitely ask for tips from you once I have a chance to visit Canada in the near future.

Sure thing, any time.   Anytime you have the time, come on up. Or over... ;-)

We are happy to have you discover our wonderful hospitality.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-24 08:13
Ken, are you coming up to visit..

Aloha Chas,

What about the snow shovel?  Maybe my ice pick and crampons (I actually have crampons)?  Certainly glad to see the laugh at the end of your invitation since you know of my aversion to cold!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-24 08:08

Aloha Stephen,

There is also safety in numbers as well as an increase of political heft.  We need to stick together to keep our efforts coordinated and effective.  I did not know Canada had an aeronautical association until this release.  I had been wondering and thought how helpful it would be.

Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Cetacean Posted at 1-24 14:35
Aloha Stephen,

There is also safety in numbers as well as an increase of political heft.  We need to stick together to keep our efforts coordinated and effective.  I did not know Canada had an aeronautical association until this release.  I had been wondering and thought how helpful it would be.

Thank you Cetacean for the informative information you have provided us today. Let's all fly as one and help each other to preserve our precious hobby. Have a safe and happy flying always everyone.
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-24 14:28
Aloha Chas,

What about the snow shovel?  Maybe my ice pick and crampons (I actually have crampons)?  Certainly glad to see the laugh at the end of your invitation since you know of my aversion to cold!

No, you are entering the true North strong and feee, in the summer time....

Bring sunglasses and sun block. Haha

You won’t need your beach blanket. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-24 14:35
Aloha Stephen,

Here in my home, We need to have a valid yearly MAAC.ca membership, to purchase a local ERCHA.ca flying club, membership.  
It’s good with the $8.5M liability insurance it provides, in case of accident or injury.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-24 17:45
Here in my home, We need to have a valid yearly MAAC.ca membership, to purchase a local ERCHA.ca flying club, membership.  
It’s good with the $8.5M liability insurance it provides, in case of accident or injury.

Aloha Chas,

Hey, that is even better than the AMA membership!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-24 22:37
Aloha Chas,

Hey, that is even better than the AMA membership!

Can you imagine if your aircraft ever ran into someone, or crashed into private property?

I would prefer to be insured..

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-24 22:42
Can you imagine if your aircraft ever ran into someone, or crashed into private property?

Aloha Chas,

Yeah, but AMA is only $2 million.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-24 22:46
Aloha Chas,

Yeah, but AMA is only $2 million.

Stay away from the rich people. Hahaha

On the other side of the tracks...

Do you have trains on the island? Ha
Yeah I know, dumb bugger eh? Haha

RedHotPoker

2019-1-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-25 10:10
Stay away from the rich people. Hahaha

On the other side of the tracks...

Aloha Chas,

The only train on this island is one I actually got to operate.  That does not happen too often.  Of course that is way back in the days before everything had to be insured.  Before that my only experience was a twelve foot by eight foot Marklin (German) model train set with mountains and bridges.

Hard to stay away from the rich people over here, they have bought all the houses and they do not even live in Hawai'i.  Most everyone else rents or is homeless and their kids have gone to the mainland so they can afford a house.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Can I be homeless too and live in your back yard?

Maybe I could dig a swell tunnel, and burrow under like Richardson Ground Squirrels.

Trains, planes and automobiles, but all I want is my SpYder. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2019-1-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-25 22:23
Can I be homeless too and live in your back yard?

Maybe I could dig a swell tunnel, and burrow under like Richardson Ground Squirrels.

Aloha Chas,

There is a lot to be said for Earth Shelter Dwellings.  I think they will be well used in the future.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-26 12:47
Aloha Chas,

There is a lot to be said for Earth Shelter Dwellings.  I think they will be well used in the future.

Ken,
I Thought this would make you smile.

Can you diggity?? Haha

RedHotPoker
2019-1-26
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-26 14:21