Mavic 2 Zoom disconnecting in flight
9430 27 2019-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2632073 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,I've had my Mavic 2 Zoom for over a week now and have flown maybe a dozen times.
All went perfectly until the last couple of flights when I had issues with disconnects in flight.
The first time I waited until the Homepoint was set and then took off. Within seconds i had a brief message in a green box saying that the SD card was too slow for recording and thenthe controller disconnected. The Mavic hovered in front of me but I couldn't control it at all. I panicked & button mashed & twiddled the sticks and after maybe a minute or two I got a yellow slider appear on my phone asking if I wanted to land & it did OK.
I took another coule of flights and all was fine again.
Then...
And this was scary....
I did have problems connecting as the phone was trying to connect to a Spark rather than the Mavic 2 (I also have a Spark, which I flew that same day) - only after several attempts did it connect to the Mavic.
The Mavic then took off as normal I but within maybe 10 seconds I once again got the green box saying that the SD card was too slow for recording. Once again I lost all control.
What was scary was that the Mavic was hovering over a fast flowing river.
What happened next totally freaked me - the Mavic suddenly started to fly, at speed, sideways, towards some trees!
Before it hit the trees it stopped, hovered and after a brief time announced that it was doing a RTH.
It then did a perfect RTH and all ended well.
After that experience I am now very apprehensive about flying it again as it not only lost control but headed off, at speed, of it's own volition.
I have the latest firmware, use a Samsung 10 speed 64 Gb Micro SD card and use this with an Android Samsung Note 8 phone.
Just wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and has some advice.
I'm really not happy to fly it again until I have a better understanding of what went wrong - I'm concerned that I lost control & even more worrying is that it headed off at speed without my input.
Any help would be much appreciated.........

2019-1-24
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

There have been some reports of SD cards causing strange behaviour. Assuming that the SanDisk card you have is a genuine one, as there were fakes ones floating about on eBay and Amazon. it needs to be Class 10, which yours is, it also needs to be U3. The latter U is the sustained write speed. Anything other than a U3 C10 has the potential to give problems.

Usually you will see a small yellow triangle with an (!) in it. this warning tells you the card may not be unto the job.

So for you next flight, carry out some test flights without a card installed. This will eliminate any interactions from the SD card. The aircrafts internal 8Gb card will be used during the flight.

Uninstall the Go4 App on your phone and then re-install, again, reports of odd behaviour has been fixed by a re-install. I have no real experience of Android phones, only the CrystalSky and Smart Controller, but it may have an effect, so don't discount the phone as your problem.

Give yourself some space and away from buildings and rivers, just in case. Start up the remote and connect to your phone, start up the App, once up and running start the aircraft & wait for it to connect. The aircraft should connect to the aircraft within a few seconds.

Manually start the motors (Sticks to the corners) rather that Auto Take off, Once running, Left stick up and hover at 2m up. see what that yields. Rotate the aircraft and make small movements left, right, forward and back. Land the aircraft by using the left stick until the aircraft lands and shuts off the motors.

Repeat a few times to build your confidence backup. There are many on here, myself included, that don't Auto Take Off or Auto Land, each to there own, but I for one like to be in control once those tiger slicers are running.

If you have a look at the Mavic Pilots forum there are guys on there that can also look at the flight logs and tell you what caused the behaviour, DJI will just ask you to sync your flight records and they may get back to you eventually.
2019-1-24
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

If you like upload your flightlog using this link:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

and post the link on here.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-24
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

If it says that the sd card is too slow then it is too slow.
Change the card, because the one you have is fake if it says it’s class 10 and the app tells you it’s too slow!

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-24
Use props
FlyingD
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Many thanks for all your replies......

I've now got myself a suitable replacement Samsung Micro SD card.
I've reinstalled the DJI Go 4 app
I've just noticed that there's a new firmware update - v01.00.0300 so I'm installing that too

Struggled to find the Flightlog file - there were HUGE .DAT files at around a Gb for the flight  date, but I failed to find .txt files for the flight date.
Not sure where to look - do I look on my mobile?
Do I find them on the Mavic using DJI Assistant 2?

Anyway I'll try to find time tomorrow, if the weather is OK to do those cautious test flights that you recommended.

Thanks again guys.....
2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi FlyingD, sorry to hear you’re experiencing this problem. It is unusual to come across flight control problem due to an SD card problem. Any SD card problem should have no direct effect on aircraft control and stability. Nevertheless, let us identify if this is a coincidence by formatting the SD card. After that, try flying the drone again at low altitude for safety purposes and check if the problem persists. You may also try using a different SD card that is recommended. I will post a snapshot of the recommended SD cards below. May you please confirm the current firmware version of your aircraft and the DJI GO 4 app version? Was there any other error that popped out during these incidents like "Disconnected" error message? Feel free to reply back for any updates.

2019-1-27
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90230 ft
Ukraine

Hi
I have the same problem with mavic 2 zoom
my device is Samsung A8 (2018)
SD card is Samsung microSDXC 128GB EVO Plus UHS-I U3 Class 10
I update firmware to v01.00.0300
and DJI GO 4- last vers.
Today i have again lost conection with remote controller

the connection may disappear for a few seconds or for a few minutes
With this cable unplugging, the overload of the remote does not give anything
Before updating the firmware, this problem also occurred very often
also tried to disable the mobile device in general - the loss of communication was not observed
But what's the point to fly when nothing is visible?
2019-1-29
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

igor lynda Posted at 1-29 08:56
Hi
I have the same problem with mavic 2 zoom
my device is Samsung A8 (2018)

my flightlog
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/QGP5N9YQLRJUMZIH7O69/#
2019-1-29
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

problem is not in memory card
The loss of the connection with the remote control occurs without a memory card
I can not load the flight log because of problems with the download site
2019-1-30
Use props
Vein182
New
Flight distance : 365463 ft
Brazil

Today I did two flights on my mavic 2 zoom and also had aircraft disconect problems. Strange that when minimizing the app and reopening the image came back but then gave the same error. Starting to get worried.
2019-1-30
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

igor lynda Posted at 1-30 01:27
problem is not in memory card
The loss of the connection with the remote control occurs without a memory card
I can not load the flight log because of problems with the download site

Hi,

When you say disconnect, do you mean that the remote controller disconnects from the aircraft, so you end up with the display that just says 'CONNECTING_' or does the remote continue to display data from the aircraft?

If the remote still gives you data from the aircraft then the problem is your Samsung A8 - I have tested the A7 and the A10.5 and found them poor in performance and too much lag, much slower than my iPad mini 4.

If you are getting the 'CONNECTING_' message then this a problem between the remote and the aircraft. so if its not RF interference you may have an issue with either the remote or the aircraft.

A quick diagnostic is to link the remote back to the aircraft. I had a customer who was having erratic behaviour on his Pro and re-linking fixed it.

Next make sure you orientate the antennas as to the diagrams in the manual, it really does make a difference. If you still have issues then start a chat with DJI Technical, but I think they will want you to send it in.  
2019-1-30
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

Buzzyone Posted at 1-30 07:33
Hi,

When you say disconnect, do you mean that the remote controller disconnects from the aircraft, so you end up with the display that just says 'CONNECTING_' or does the remote continue to display data from the aircraft?

so I got a "plug-in" glow plug but it seems I found the problem - in battery firmware
2019-1-30
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

so I got the message "connecting .."
the connection disappeared from a few seconds to a few minutes
the drone returned to the take-off place
I took out a memory card and it was still repeated
I completely redone my phone (with full data removal) - it also did not help
Later I noticed that with a single battery the drone did not start at all
Today I spent the whole day solving this problem and I will still decide it
so I turned over the drill with each battery, and did it with the remote
Then with each battery calibrated the drone
calibrated the remote and in general everything that was possible
After that, The drone flew with each battery, with a memory card and without it - the results are satisfactory.
only when the first turn on each battery for the first minute for 1-2 seconds the signal disappeared.
during the flight the video was written in 4K 25P and on the phone 1080r copy
flew for 10-15 minutes on each battery at a distance of 500 m and a height of 120 m - there were no problems (I hope and will not)
tomorrow I will make test flights for a longer distance

for Ukrainians:
так я отримував повідомлення "connecting.."
звязок пропадав від кількох секунд до кількох хвилин
дрон повертався на місце взльоту
я вийняв карту памяті і все одно це повторювалось
я повністю перепрошив свій телефон (з повним видаленням даних)- це теж не допомогло
пізніше я потмітив, що з однією батареєю дрон взагалі не запускається
сьогодні я цілий день витратив на вирішення даної проблеми і задється таки вирішив її
отож я почерзі перепрошив дрон з кожною батареєю, також зробив це з пультом
потім з кожною батареєю відкалібрував дрон
відкалібрував пульт і взагалі все що було можливо
після цього я провів пробні польоти на кожній батареї, з картою памяті і без неї - результати задовільні
тільки при першому включенні на кожній батареї на протязі першої хвилини на 1-2 секунди пропадав сигнал.
впродовж польотів відео писалось в 4К 25Р і на телефон 1080р копія
відлітав по 10-15 хв на кожній батареї на відстань до 500 м і висоту до 120 м- проблем не було (сподіваюсь і не буде)
завтра ще раз зроблю тестові польоти на більшу відстань
2019-1-30
Use props
FlyingD
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I think my problem is resolved too.
I used a different Micro SD card & loaded the latest firmware to the Mavic 2 Zoom and also the batteries.& also reinstalled DJI Go 4 on my Samsung Note 8
I have now flown several times and all is well again.

I think that the problem was with the Android DJI Go 4 App.
On the morning of the problem flight the DJI Go 4 App had difficulty recognising the Mavic 2 Zoom, instead it was trying to connect to a Spark (I also have a Spark)
I had to try several times before the Mavic 2 Zoom was recognised.
In retrospect this should have been a HUGE warning that things could go wrong!
They did, and over a fast flowing river....

In future if I get any glitches at all from the DJI Go 4 App I am absolutely not going to take off.
Maybe the DJI Go 4 App needs to be reinstalled from time to time?
2019-1-31
Use props
FlyingD
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've finally worked out how to find & upload the Flight Log & I'm a bit concerned........
It seems to show that in a two minute flight I lost control four times for periods of 5.5 seconds, 33.8 seconds, 4.8 seconds & 52.9 seconds.
All the while my Mavic 2 Zoom was hovering over a fast flowing river and at one point veered sideways, at speed across the just stopping before it hit some trees.
It then did a perfect RTH.
I had very little control over the Mavic during those 2 minutes.
As I have mentioned above I have now refreshed the firmware, DJI Andoid App & the SD card.
Flights now seem to be fine.
However, I have only been flying DJI drones for 2 months and would like to be sure that the above was not down to an error I made.
This is the Flight Log:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T8E4Q1MPOJ7TOQ6GAGV8/

Would much appreciate any observations or advice.

Cheers
2019-2-3
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

memory card is the cause of the loss of signal in your case. this is indicated in the flight register
and in my case it is simply indicated that the signal was restored due to a certain amount of time

today Mavic 2 Zoom  lost control again
and again this happened on the problem battery
even after replacing the battery, the problem arose again and again
I do not know what to do

I ask DJI - give an adequate answer!

the drone simply hangs in the air, a message appears on the screen about the loss of the connection of the dron with the remote control and for some time the drone automatically returns to the take-off place
here is the flight log:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LDLMH6T7GPEBGWDY1L2Q/
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/L0TMKJFQT4KO5F2429AQ/
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/89KV42SH3KDL3SC8OH10/
2019-2-7
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

today Mavic 2 Zoom  lost control again
2019-2-8
Use props
igor lynda
lvl.1
Ukraine

Hello
the problem I solved
I tried to connect samsung a6 +
xiaomi redmi 6 pro
and samsung a8
with all there were problems
the whole problem in my android smartphone samsung a8 (2018)

I bought ipad mini 4 and use it to control mavic 2 zoom
flew 28 minutes and at a distance of 3 km - no problems
2019-2-16
Use props
CJ125
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1857959 ft

United Kingdom

Im getting this same issue all the time....even when the aircraft is 3ft away on the living room floor!!

Using Mavic 2 Zoom and Samsung S8+

I thought it maybe a problem with the lead but tried a couple of replacements and get exactly the same issue - its doing my head in now and makes me that nervous flying it just takes all the fun out of it so virtually on the brink of giving up!

Whats going on??

2019-4-6
Use props
fansf5616200
lvl.1
United States

I just got my first drone (Mavic 2 Zoom) a few days ago.  I did all the updates it presented me with before flying.  I also have the Smart Controller.  Anyway, after probably a dozen flights without incident, I flew it out farther than I have and was actually using the controller view instead of visually.  All was fine, I have no warnings at all.  Then when I realized the drone was out of sight and over a mile or more away (I live in a rural area, nothing but fields for the most part), anyway, I hit the Return to Home and right after that, I lost all video, it was like the controller turned off.  So I waited and then the screen said the Go4 App was lost or crashed (do not remember the exact phrase) and presented me with either Close or Wait...I chose Wait.    The screen went black again and after about 20 - 30 secs later, again with the same Close or Wait, and I chose wait again.   Then after seemingly minutes, the drone returned.  When it prepared to land and with the controller screen still blacked out, I was able to manually land it.
For what seemed like a long time, I really thought I had lost it, luckily it did return to home, but now I don't trust it as much as I did.
I briefly flew it once since but just within a few hundred feet.
2019-6-19
Use props
fansf5616200
lvl.1
United States

fansf5616200 Posted at 6-19 06:46
I just got my first drone (Mavic 2 Zoom) a few days ago.  I did all the updates it presented me with before flying.  I also have the Smart Controller.  Anyway, after probably a dozen flights without incident, I flew it out farther than I have and was actually using the controller view instead of visually.  All was fine, I have no warnings at all.  Then when I realized the drone was out of sight and over a mile or more away (I live in a rural area, nothing but fields for the most part), anyway, I hit the Return to Home and right after that, I lost all video, it was like the controller turned off.  So I waited and then the screen said the Go4 App was lost or crashed (do not remember the exact phrase) and presented me with either Close or Wait...I chose Wait.    The screen went black again and after about 20 - 30 secs later, again with the same Close or Wait, and I chose wait again.   Then after seemingly minutes, the drone returned.  When it prepared to land and with the controller screen still blacked out, I was able to manually land it.
For what seemed like a long time, I really thought I had lost it, luckily it did return to home, but now I don't trust it as much as I did.
I briefly flew it once since but just within a few hundred feet.

Forgot to mention, I received no warning about SD Cards or saying the app was disconnecting, the screen of the SC just blacked out completely.
2019-6-19
Use props
fans00d5a95a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4646713 ft
Belgium

I had this happening today. Controller suddenly said disconnect in mid flight. Was not far away. Also app said disconnect... Drone flew away from me. Couldn't do anything. Finally a shut off the controller and rth initiated. Scariest moment in my life. My mavic 2 zoom is only one week old... Tried to connect to assistant but flight logs cannot be retrieved. Wheel keeps spinning. I really want to know what is wrong. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/78P541XR2KIV3RHIOG6A/
I don't thrust it anymore. Have been flying dji drones so long and this is the first time this happens.
2019-6-23
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

Are people still having issues with disconnects?

My M2PZ has been 100% since I got it almost pre order.

I got the smart controller a month ago and had some video loss issues so I sent it back, I hope DJI will address those problems a few people are having and I will re order once its stable. That said.... now I have gone back to the basic remote and my S8, I suddenly find I have random goings on with the supplied controller cable, or so it would seem, when flying yesterday I lost connection with the drone on three occasions, all time the drone win into RTH on its own, safe landings but automated 100%, no control could be regained from me, not good, and after sending back the SC I feel even more gutted. Got three new micro USB to type C cables today but the first new one seems to do the same as the old so I don't think I even need to try the others, in short the first thing that gives a clue to an unstable connection is the phone keeps showing the new message - CHARGING, then a while later again, CHARGING, no need to fly I KNOW it will loose the connection, using a short USB to type C lead connected to the lower port it seems to be 100%, however I have never had any issues before, only good thing is I can use the S8 in its case with this lead.
So DJI any advice, anyone else have any ideas? Sorry if I am posting in an old thread but I am here from Google links... Thanks in advance.

2019-6-25
Use props
Tbone07734
New
Luxembourg

Hi all,

I have about 12.5 hours flight time on my M2PZ, but had a similar experience to @FlyingD where I was in northern Italy canyoning, launched the drone (iphone X, standard controller) flew it maybe 20m high 40m over a row of trees over the river, and bam - disconnected. We all ran to the river and looked and looked until my son spotted it, just hovering there. After a lot of fidgeting with the app/phone (none of which I have the impression did anything useful) the connection just came back. Since then, all good. But I've never had any problem like this either with equipment, SD card, software, ... But it definitely shakes one's confidence!!
2019-7-31
Use props
REMOVE DC NFZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 942671 ft
United States

I'm convince DJI software update is the culprit. I bought this zoom in 2018 and refuse to do any update to prevent things like this from happening. It was the best drone until yesterday I forgot to turn on airplane mode on my note 5,  The Mzoom went into update and now for the first time my controller disconnection from my drone during a critical moment of a precision flying. No stick input, No responses...luckily it reconnect seconds before disaster. RTH wouldn't be pretty .
2021-1-5
Use props
djiuser_bygNrNTkmh8h
New

Sri Lanka

Mavic 2 zoom
RC controller error....can anyone advise me how to fix this problem.  My batteries charge well but the bottom feels like it has a small bump....got to press hard to fix it the aircraft...is this the problem for RC error..??
2022-1-4
Use props
florinel
lvl.1

Romania

Buzzyone Posted at 2019-1-24 03:04
Hi,

There have been some reports of SD cards causing strange behaviour. Assuming that the SanDisk card you have is a genuine one, as there were fakes ones floating about on eBay and Amazon. it needs to be Class 10, which yours is, it also needs to be U3. The latter U is the sustained write speed. Anything other than a U3 C10 has the potential to give problems.

I think the same thing caused my drone to crash. Only it happens in a few meters away from me and unfortunately I was in the mountains, on a rocky terrain so my drone landed (crashed) over the edge of a big rock.  I clearly remeber that before loosing control, I saw an error message about "internal space is full" although I had mounted an SD card an had had 2 more flights in that day.
I told the story here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D566%26typeid%3D566
I am still find alternatives to decrypt de .DAT files downloaded from the drone (I have it incomplete in the phone ) and I hope I could see any logic error message. I haven't flown my drone since then  (I am currently purchasing parts  to replace the broken once) so I can't reproduce the problem during flight. My drone is not upgraded to the last FW, I can't remember exactly but it is 2 version older before the latest.
Any updates in this issue? I find very odd  for an DJI drone to be affected in such a serious way by an SD card. I am an RC model tinker, I built ca few open source based drones by myself (Arducopter) and I have never had such a big problem from such an important component as an SD card
2023-8-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

florinel Posted at 8-16 01:07
I think the same thing caused my drone to crash. Only it happens in a few meters away from me and unfortunately I was in the mountains, on a rocky terrain so my drone landed (crashed) over the edge of a big rock.  I clearly remeber that before loosing control, I saw an error message about "internal space is full" although I had mounted an SD card an had had 2 more flights in that day.
I told the story here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D566%26typeid%3D566

Hello there. I'm sorry about what happened to your drone. We highly recommend sending your crashed drone for a proper diagnosis and to ensure flight safety. The warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules