Does anyone have the Pgytech MRC-CPL filter for Pocket?
3617 26 2019-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

Was wondering if anyone has the PGYTECH MRC-CPL filter used their Pocket?  Even though it says it is a CPL filter, it does not rotate as most CPL filters do to remove glare/reflection... so was wondering how does the PGYTECH CPL filter achieve this without have the ability to rotate the filter?   Also when using CPL filter like this, can this effect be achieved without having to use the pocket in Pro-manual mode, or can one use this is auto mode on the pocket?
2019-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have a set of PgyTech without rotating wheel and it works fine , I have tried it on the water and yes it removes some of the glare, but they come into their own when shooting into bright sky with Sun at 90 degrees left or right there is a noticeable difference in colour of the sky and greens look a lot better.

I know using with my drones having purchased both rotating and filters without rotating wheels that rotating wheel filters are a complete pain and nearly always cause more problems than they are worth.

I am pretty pleased with pgy tech filters and find them hassle free.
2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Please make sure that we will use an accessory that will be compatible with your unit. Kindly be cautious when using third-party accessory to avoid damage to the Osmo Pocket. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback that you may need. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-24
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 12:46
I have a set of PgyTech without rotating wheel and it works fine , I have tried it on the water and yes it removes some of the glare, but they come into their own when shooting into bright sky with Sun at 90 degrees left or right there is a noticeable difference in colour of the sky and greens look a lot better.

I know using with my drones having purchased both rotating and filters without rotating wheels that rotating wheel filters are a complete pain and nearly always cause more problems than they are worth.

Can the CPL filter for the pocket be used in full auto mode, or would I need to switch to pro/manual mode to achieve the best results.... which I am assuming is the same case with ND filters for the pocket?
2019-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 1-24 12:56
Can the CPL filter for the pocket be used in full auto mode, or would I need to switch to pro/manual mode to achieve the best results.... which I am assuming is the same case with ND filters for the pocket?

Yes you can use in auto mode, but you will have the same problems using auto mode with or without filters if you move from shade to very bright conditions or vice a versa so causing camera to choose iso values , I would recommend using manual you can set up for conditions and just remove your phone, dji have also promised that pro mode will be fully available in next FW for use without phone.
2019-1-24
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 13:13
Yes you can use in auto mode, but you will have the same problems using auto mode with or without filters if you move from shade to very bright conditions or vice a versa so causing camera to choose iso values , I would recommend using manual you can set up for conditions and just remove your phone, dji have also promised that pro mode will be fully available in next FW for use without phone.

Do you also use/have the ND filter by PGYTECH... and from what I have read about ND filters, main goal would be to decrease highlights and have less bright/harsh lights, and at the same time increase motion blur?  To achive this, would I be required to get out of auto mode and into manual/pro mode... and from what I have also read, I would need to set iso manually to lowest iso and set my shutter speed to 1/(2x fps) ?  Is this correct?
2019-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 1-24 13:42
Do you also use/have the ND filter by PGYTECH... and from what I have read about ND filters, main goal would be to decrease highlights and have less bright/harsh lights, and at the same time increase motion blur?  To achive this, would I be required to get out of auto mode and into manual/pro mode... and from what I have also read, I would need to set iso manually to lowest iso and set my shutter speed to 1/(2x fps) ?  Is this correct?

I have ND filters and these are what I use most, and yes they help get correct exposure keep your iso at 100 and you can find the correct shutter speed usually twice the frame rate to achieve correct motion blur, I would mostly use ND 16,
2019-1-24
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 13:53
I have ND filters and these are what I use most, and yes they help get correct exposure keep your iso at 100 and you can find the correct shutter speed usually twice the frame rate to achieve correct motion blur, I would mostly use ND 16,

Yes... that is one reason I wish the pocket would allow one to set these manual/pro modes without having to hook up a phone all the time... hopefully in future or next firmware update.

Do you also use PGYTECH ND filters?  They have a whole slew of ND filters....and trying to find out the differences between each of them... they have ND-PL, ND-GR and plain ND filters? THey have the following sets on their website:

OSMO Pocket PRO SET: MRC-CPL, ND8, and ND16

OSMO Pocket PRO ND/PL SET: ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, and ND64/PL

OSMO Pocket PRO GND SET: ND8-GR, ND16-4, and ND32-8
2019-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 1-24 14:15
Yes... that is one reason I wish the pocket would allow one to set these manual/pro modes without having to hook up a phone all the time... hopefully in future or next firmware update.

Do you also use PGYTECH ND filters?  They have a whole slew of ND filters....and trying to find out the differences between each of them... they have ND-PL, ND-GR and plain ND filters? THey have the following sets on their website:

I got your first list, I also added an ND 32.
2019-1-24
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just posted the reason why I'm loving the PgyTech ND-PL sets here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
The Graduated ones are very situational so unless you're experienced in using ND filters, The 4 pieces ND-PL set should be all you'll need.
2019-1-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-25 00:24
It is not a CPL. PGYTECH unfortunately doesn't make one for the OP. You can use filters in Autol Mode also. just remember to click on the little lock in order to lock exposure. Of course in Auto, the camera will decide what ISO and Shutter Speed to use so you will probably not get the best results. IMO, plug the phone, put the filter on. Chose your values in Pro Mode (ISO, SP) and then unplug the phone if you do not wish to carry it. Just be careful that the little screen can be deceiving and show that you're on focus while you're not...

They do, Take a look at their website and I have one on the way.
2019-1-25
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Actually this is the way you rotate their PL filter.
Rotating magnetic filter itself...
I know it is clunky way to do it but they say it is the way.
2019-1-25
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

Tide Posted at 1-25 08:14
[view_image]

Actually this is the way you rotate their PL filter.

Is the PGYTECH CPL filter meant to be used (rotated) that way like a regular CPL filter does?

WIth all this shifting and turning of the filter, will the magnets underneath possibly scratch the lens on the OP?
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

El Diablo Posted at 1-25 00:24
It is not a CPL. PGYTECH unfortunately doesn't make one for the OP. You can use filters in Autol Mode also. just remember to click on the little lock in order to lock exposure. Of course in Auto, the camera will decide what ISO and Shutter Speed to use so you will probably not get the best results. IMO, plug the phone, put the filter on. Chose your values in Pro Mode (ISO, SP) and then unplug the phone if you do not wish to carry it. Just be careful that the little screen can be deceiving and show that you're on focus while you're not...

Pgy tech do have polarized filter.
2019-1-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 1-25 09:11
Is the PGYTECH CPL filter meant to be used (rotated) that way like a regular CPL filter does?

WIth all this shifting and turning of the filter, will the magnets underneath possibly scratch the lens on the OP?

No, I think he meant that as a joke. I think the Pgytech PL filters are just fixed at 90 degree off the top (where most sunlight comes from). It's not a perfect solution but work most of the time unless you shoot in protrait mode.
2019-1-25
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Wiz33 Posted at 1-25 14:52
No, I think he meant that as a joke. I think the Pgytech PL filters are just fixed at 90 degree off the top (where most sunlight comes from). It's not a perfect solution but work most of the time unless you shoot in protrait mode.
https://youtu.be/E6_iv6v0BRE
Well I was not joking. (may be a half of it)
If you watch the video above, he had the same question and this was how he is answered for his inquiry.
I am not sure whether it is its intened way of use by design. But will work in theory.
2019-1-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here's an into the sunset shoot that I took with a ND32 PL in full auto, I think it works pretty well.

2019-1-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

El Diablo Posted at 1-27 04:46
Are you sure? Freewell, Skyreat and Polarapro make them (+ some other cheap Chinese knock-offs). Haven’t seen any PGYTECH ones yet.

Yeah, just polarizing filter, not circular.
2019-1-27
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-27 04:42
Just checked their website as you’ve suggested. CPL nowhere to be found... would you mind sending a link or photo?

Go to the Osmo page, then filters and scroll down till you see PGYTECH

MRC-CPL (PRO)
I have one on the way, we'll see when it arrives.
2019-1-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-28
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-28 00:14
I believe it is a typing mistake. On their website it says CPL but there's no filter with rotatable ring. Sorry but you're going to be disappointed.

On the bright side, PGYTECH filters for the Osmo have nice grooves to grab them. My Skyreat are quite difficult to remoe without leaving fingerprints all over.

I'm OK with it being a fixed PL as I don't connect to my phone most of the time so really won't be able to take advantage of an adjustable filter.
And yes. The slotted casing makes it easy to attch or remove even while filming. I've done it many times moving from outdoor to indoor while shooting.
2019-1-28
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-28
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-28 23:17
How do you manage to get proper focus without attaching the phone? Normally one only realises the footage is blurry when arriving home...

I have gotten pretty good result using the OP alone for over a mont. Yes, there are focus bumping issues once in a while with large moving crows or in low lights but it works pretty well most of the time as you can see in this thread that detailed my travel with many videos.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
2019-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules