Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yaw/turn freezing issue - DJI response, please give feedback
1100 11 2019-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 289075 ft
United Kingdom

Hi everyone

I've been struggling with my Mavic Pro (version 1) freeezing while turning since I bought it.

I've just had the latest response from DJI (who have the craft at the moment) and I find it quite astonishing:

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for patiently waiting, just got an  information from the evaluation team, firstly, we have no access to the  links. and our engineer tested this craft outside and he found no issue.  The issue you mentioned you are having seems "normal "to the engineer.  We have had some more cases with this problem. But this is normal with  the Mavic pro. even if you get a new one this will happen. If you keep  turning the craft you will get this. This is not a connection issue or  something else the craft just decides to do this.

So therefore is the product fit for purpose?

Please look at my videos before responding with possible reasons for this probem as I've had numerous conversations about it I hope that cover all the bases other than faulty components.

• It isn't a video freeze as other objects in the video continue to move.
  • It happens at all distances, not just in my back garden where the range is close and there may be signal reflections.
  • I'm holding the yaw stick dead still by pressing it over with the side of my thumb
  • I have calibrated everything a multitude of times.
  • All the firmware is up to date.
  • I've flown in varous parts of the country and seen the problem on both aircraft.
  • I can't reproduce it on WiFi.
  • I haven't been able to find anyone who lives near me that I can swap controllers with.

Here is my evidence:

Main Movie
Extract showing drone freezing in mid air
Further tests that address video freeze and transmission issues, including a very LONG freeze while tryin to film while turning.

History:

I bought the Mavic Pro in March 2018, (so the warranty is now winding down). At first I put what I was seeing down to being a beginner, then windy flying conditions, then calibration, but despite everything it continued. Finally in Novemebr I had time to try to sort the problem out with DJI. I found some data that seems to show the the gimbal compass was giving out false zeros in it data. DJI asked me to send the drone in, diagnosed a 'board fault' and replaced the drone with a new looking one, but not the controller.

When I tested the replacement, if anything it was worse. Often time is short and the weather isn't good for testing, so I finally persuded DJI to take the drone back two weeks ago. By now I had established that I could not reproduce the fault on WiFi, and made the above videos.

Their response leaves me worried. True that they claim to have not seen the videos yet (although in the previous email I was thanked for my 'detailed' information). Possibly a curory test might not show the problem immediately, but to say that ALL Mavics do this is surely an exageration? I don't expect perfection, but I would expect that I could film a turn without a 50% of the shot being spoilt by the drone freezing in the air?

I can't sell the drone knowing that it behaves so badly.

2019-1-25
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That's interesting. Have you tried calibrating your sticks! If any thing just to eliminate that as a potential issue.

Got to say i have never seen this with our Mavic Pro or any other AC. But have seen it with our osmo pocket!
2019-1-25
Use props
JJN
lvl.1
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 1-25 02:42
That's interesting. Have you tried calibrating your sticks! If any thing just to eliminate that as a potential issue.

Got to say i have never seen this with our Mavic Pro or any other AC. But have seen it with our osmo pocket!

Thanks for the suggestion, but:

• I have calibrated everything a multitude of times.

Interesting about the Osmo. Have you had any feedback from DJI?

2019-1-25
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

JJN Posted at 1-25 02:48
Thanks for the suggestion, but:

No not yet, it is still early days with the osmo pocket, there is a new FW update due February to address lack of functionality so we'll see.
2019-1-25
Use props
JJN
lvl.1
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 1-25 03:20
No not yet, it is still early days with the osmo pocket, there is a new FW update due February to address lack of functionality so we'll see.

Let's hope they don't wait until it's out of warranty then say the behavior is 'normal' ;-)
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I just wonder because you are testing at low altitude using VPS and gps for hold, we know you need bright conditions on the ground also you need a good textured surface, I’m just thinking that aircraft trying to get good lock maybe what’s causing your craft to freeze. Just a thought .
2019-1-25
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

JJN Posted at 1-25 03:22
Let's hope they don't wait until it's out of warranty then say the behavior is 'normal' ;-)

I hear you, but to be fair I can live with the minor issues presented with the Oslo Pocket as they (so far) don't appear to be drastic issues that can't be overcome and I'm sure DJI will continue to improve the Osmo over the next month or 2.
2019-1-25
Use props
JJN
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-25 06:06
I just wonder because you are testing at low altitude using VPS and gps for hold, we know you need bright conditions on the ground also you need a good textured surface, I’m just thinking that aircraft trying to get good lock maybe what’s causing your craft to freeze. Just a thought .

Thanks for the suggestion. Did you look at the third video at about 50 seconds? It is happening at about 300 feet over a crop field. I've seen it over moorland as well. Not sure if this is what you mean? And surely when flying on WiFi this would happen as well?
2019-1-25
Use props
JJN
lvl.1
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 1-25 07:00
I hear you, but to be fair I can live with the minor issues presented with the Oslo Pocket as they (so far) don't appear to be drastic issues that can't be overcome and I'm sure DJI will continue to improve the Osmo over the next month or 2.

I'm sure they will. Hard not to worry though, and that turn into sarcasm, when you have £1300 invested in something and are told it is behaving 'normally'
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JJN Posted at 1-25 09:34
Thanks for the suggestion. Did you look at the third video at about 50 seconds? It is happening at about 300 feet over a crop field. I've seen it over moorland as well. Not sure if this is what you mean? And surely when flying on WiFi this would happen as well?

It’s very hard to know, stick movements are very sharp, so very easy to both under push and over push, but I can see this sudden halt in the drone, but I’m certain I can replicate this using RC, I think what’s clear is you are really the only one who can both say and see this actually happening and if your not happy then maybe try again with dji. Maybe someone can test to see if they get 100% yaw with no glitch , I would try myself but weather is not very good here.
2019-1-25
Use props
JJN
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-25 09:42
It’s very hard to know, stick movements are very sharp, so very easy to both under push and over push, but I can see this sudden halt in the drone, but I’m certain I can replicate this using RC, I think what’s clear is you are really the only one who can both say and see this actually happening and if your not happy then maybe try again with dji. Maybe someone can test to see if they get 100% yaw with no glitch , I would try myself but weather is not very good here.

Did you see the bit in the video where I showed how I was pushing the stick over with the side of my thumb, therefore locking the stick into place?

And this in the orginal post:

• I'm holding the yaw stick dead still by pressing it over with the side of my thumb

2019-1-25
Use props
JJN
lvl.1
United Kingdom

OK, in DJI’s defence…

Now that they have managed to view the video files, I got this response:

I sent the video to the engineer, we are impressed by the videos, thanks  for the effort you’ve made. We will replace both of the craft and the  RC for you, you will receive a new (warranty) quotation soon.

No mention of trying to reproduce the problem, but maybe third time lucky for me.

2019-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules