The real meaning of MAVIC
11852 21 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grey Hawk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1259288 ft
Malaysia

Hi.. my very first post after four years of waiting to buy my Mavic Pro... My Mavic is registered as the MQ-X Greyhawk and I am registered as Greyhawk in the GO4 application. Only in the forum I have a space. I've been longing for a DJI drone since December 2016.. and the release of Mavic Pro makes me itching even more to get it.. and it is worth it. Really a great drone. Now, let me get to the point. No, my drone is unarmed.

In my humble opinion, Mavic is not a word, nor a misspell of Maverick.. or whatever accent that word is. Or from any language. No, it doesn't matter. I have been figuring out the meaning of this Mavic for a while now, since 2018... and I believe that I am correct to say that Mavic is an acronym, not a word. But well, the mystery is, how it can be an acronym..? Or is it just a nice name of no meaning from any language in existence? I have a few theories that I believe can give us some good standing point to say why it is in acronym. Here are why, as follows:

• In the instruction manual, it is written as MAVIC, not Mavic. Specifically for any other DJI drones, not DJI products in general such as Ronin and Osmo, also the NAZA flight controller and its latest NAZA N3, I believe it does has a meaning but I can't be very sure. Again, a good point to mention. Add to that, all other DJI drone models use an actual word with meaning, such as the Spark, Phantom, Inspire and Tello, which has a meaning. For example, Tello means tellus or land or earth.
  • MAVIC is a registered trademark of DJI, and because it is a registered trademark, be it in full capital letters or lowercase letters, it remains a DJI exclusive term. If any other DJI products do have a registered trademark, that is all well and good. Again, a standing point. I am not sure if the Spark, Phantom, Inspire and Tello are trademarks, but the tello could be an exclusion. The first three models mentioned are too much used in a widespread manner that trademark may not be necessary. As always, standing point
  • All other models use their standard names as shown in the box (i.e the name with only the first letter capitalized) in the manual, store and anywhere else.
  • MAVIC is currently DJI's flagship consumer drone.

So, before I tell you the acronym, again this is the basic acronym, we need to see the basic principles and concept behind the MAVIC. You can change it to whatever you like.. it is just my guess!

• The Mavic is DJI's first fully foldable drone and a pretty ambitious project back then.
  • It features a variety of sensors, redundancies, new proprietary telemetry and transmission system which is the OcuSync and simply beautiful.
  • The Vision Positioning System is overhauled to feature improved positioning of the downward-sensing optical sensor. Unlike the sensor under the P4 which is installed in a left-to-right formation instead of Mavic's tail-to-nose (bottom to top, vertical) configuration. As minor as it may be, sensor positioning is crucial to safety and reliability.
  • The Mavic is a smaller version of the Phantom 4, and carries a variety of features such as the automated flight modes from the P4.

Now, I'll break the acronym down.

• M - Miniature : The Mavic Pro is a miniaturized version of the Phantom 4, carrying forward the features from the P4, alongside the unique folding assembly and aerodynamically-tuned structure.
  • A - Autonomous : The small stature and profile of the Mavic makes it approachable and allows a variety of autonomous flight modes such as the ActiveTrack and Gesture selfie mode to be done in the crowds, as the big-looking design of the P4 may make it not so approachable to most people without announcement. Add to the fact that all DJI drones fall under the category of unmanned aerial vehicles excluding the Tello, they are conceptually autonomous.
  • V - Vehicle : No, I am not talking about autonomous vehicles, I am saying that the Mavic is an unmanned aerial Vehicle with Autonomous capability.
  • With
  • I - Intelligent: Intelligent in a way that it avoids obstacle, lands precisely and takes off precisely as well. With a fully proportional and smooth flight sticks and controller, the Mavic is certainly a fun drone to fly around. A standard intelligent features in many DJI drones are definitely carried forward from this drone.
  • C - Controller : as what is described in Intelligent, plus the folding remote controller that is definitely DJI's biggest success in their history of drones, that makes the Mavic series a flagship consumer drones of DJI, bar none.  Add to that, the Mavic is the first DJI drone to use the proprietary OcuSync transmission system which is improved from time to time, seeing use in the P4 Pro V2.0 as the OcuSync HD and the Mavic 2 as the OcuSync 2.
  • Hence, Mavic is an acronym of Miniature Autonomous Vehicle with Intelligent Controller.

I really hope that you enjoyed my theory and got a better insight on how does the name MAVIC come and definitely appreciate the R&D DJI poured into back in the days of the Mavic announcement and introduction. For me, I don't need the Mavic 2. The Mavic Pro is just perfect for me, and I wish it will be for a long time. I also want to add that this could be my first and the last post, as I am still unsure on what to do next. But certainly I am around, flying my Greyhawk around anywhere big enough.. so it won't get stuck in a tree.

If this has been covered before, then perhaps I repeated history. Again, even if it is, thank you for your time for reading this through. Atleast I made my first post..

Thanks again!

2019-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats on the getting the Mavic 1 and welcome to the forum. The original Mavic Pro was released on 23 September 2016 so I don't know how you have been waiting for four years to buy one LOL - may be you knew something the rest of us didn't.

And BTW...

Mavic is a French bicycle parts manufacturer (its name an acronym for Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel), founded by Charles Idoux and Lucien Chanel. The company is noted as a manufacturer of bicycle wheels. I think DJI just liked the sound of it for their new drone back in the day and may explain why italics are used in publications to not infringe copyright laws in the EU. Just a hunch.
2019-1-26
Use props
Grey Hawk
lvl.2
Malaysia

Another great point! Mavic IS A BICYCLE MANUFACTURER? Hopefully the Mavic 3 is not a tricycle. Or.. a tricopter? The mystery unfolds.. again.
2019-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Grey Hawk Posted at 1-26 02:16
Another great point! Mavic IS A BICYCLE MANUFACTURER? Hopefully the Mavic 3 is not a tricycle. Or.. a tricopter? The mystery unfolds.. again.

Given the Mavic 2 is less than six months old I doubt we'll see a Mavic 3 until 2020 but a tricopter sounds cool.
2019-1-26
Use props
MichealMedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179026 ft

Interesting theory! Thanks for sharing.
2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji applied to use Maverick for the name of their drone in 2016 they were refused and changed it to Mavic, as one of the first folding travel drones you can see why they would have liked to call it The Maverick .
2019-1-26
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Pretty cool break down
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Grey Hawk. Thank you for sharing this information and for your insights. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-1-26
Use props
IcannotThinkOfAName
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Grey Hawk Posted at 1-26 02:16

The number of propellers has to be even numbers.
2019-1-26
Use props
IcannotThinkOfAName
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Your analysis was cool.
2019-1-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Wow that was cool to know, thanks for sharing!
2019-1-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

BTW welcome to the forum mate!
2019-1-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting stuff!
2019-1-26
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have a lot of time on your hands!!
2019-1-31
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Why not: Miniature Audio, Video, Intelligent, Craft?  I think you have put quite some reasoning into your theory, and as it being an acronym, I completely agree.  Also take the fact that in most if not all reference to the craft, it IS called either a craft or aircraft.  A lot there to think about, glad you brought this up - the DJI MAVIC mystery.
2019-1-31
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 1-26 01:48
Congrats on the getting the Mavic 1 and welcome to the forum. The original Mavic Pro was realised on 23 September 2016 so I don't know how you have been waiting for four years to buy one LOL - may be you knew something the rest of us didn't.

And BTW...

Definitely the most interesting read in a long time! By the way, as a cyclist myself , never thought the cycling brand Mavic is also an acronym.
2019-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IcannotThinkOfAName Posted at 1-26 07:30
The number of propellers has to be even numbers.

Really?
2019-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 1-31 22:22
Definitely the most interesting read in a long time! By the way, as a cyclist myself , never thought the cycling brand Mavic is also an acronym.

Must admit it was something I looked into myself when it was released - I still think the name has some form of Chinese translation like the Spark has.
2019-1-31
Use props
M K ULTRA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5778337 ft
Norway

Your analysis and extrapolation of the data, correct or not, reads like a subset of an intelligence brief.
2019-2-1
Use props
Grey Hawk
lvl.2
Malaysia

Woah, I did not expect such a warm and positive reaction and welcome! Thank you so much for reading and I wish you all a nice day! Oh and I totaled almost 60km of flight distance with Mavic in a week. Thanks again all!
2019-2-10
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting theory, well thought out.
2019-2-10
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3