Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Hi All,

Could somebody who bought this very nice piece of equpiment - DJI Smart Controller for Mavic 2 confirm if there was already some issue for you? I mean anything you are not satisfied with or you were even forced to send it back for warranty replacement or so. Also were there any build quality defects detected by somebody?

Thanks,

David

2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What issues are you having ?
I haven’t had any issues so far .No issues with build quality.
2019-1-26
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

I do not have the controller yet just looking around so far as I want to buy it and do not want to end up with device where LCD backlit or something will day in while like was the case with Crystalsky.
2019-1-26
Use props
djiuser_Z4SEwKBQIpRk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178688 ft
Canada

No issues yet with the new SRC. A very well built remote. The screen is a lot brighter than my Samsung S8+ that i used with the regular remote. And not to mention the convenience of set up.

The only complaint i have is because it is Android based. GO4 app updates are traditionally later than IOS. And updating Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom drone needs to done through Dji Assistant 2.......wish we could just use Wifi through the SRC.
2019-1-26
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

djiuser_Z4SEwKBQIpRk Posted at 1-26 06:38
No issues yet with the new SRC. A very well built remote. The screen is a lot brighter than my Samsung S8+ that i used with the regular remote. And not to mention the convenience of set up.

The only complaint i have is because it is Android based. GO4 app updates are traditionally later than IOS. And updating Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom drone needs to done through Dji Assistant 2.......wish we could just use Wifi through the SRC.

Thanks for reply. Good to know. Yes updates will be later that is probably tax for this device. Updating is no problem for me as I'm every time using pc and dji assistant 2 from safety reasons.
2019-1-26
Use props
IcannotThinkOfAName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

There is no ground station pro for the smart controller.
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on there experiences on the DJI Smart Controller. If you have any inquiries or concerns with the said device. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for choosing DJI.
2019-1-26
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No concerns about it all, works really well no issues with lagging or crashing/lockup’s.

Build quality is excellent, feels good to hold screen is excellent. I flew my Pro yesterday in good sunlight no problem, flew my zoom on an iPad mini, the difference in brightness was staggering. Yeah it’s only 5.5” but the clarity is amazingly good.

Firmware update was painless which it did over WiFi rather than assistant 2, so you can do over the air updates using Wifi.

Minor issue with it not receiving the latest Go4 app at the same time as iOS release. Apart from that, very happy with it. Seems to be well worth the investment, it’s good now so it will only improve as long as the updates keep coming in a timely fashion.
2019-1-26
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 1-26 08:06
No concerns about it all, works really well no issues with lagging or crashing/lockup’s.

Build quality is excellent, feels good to hold screen is excellent. I flew my Pro yesterday in good sunlight no problem, flew my zoom on an iPad mini, the difference in brightness was staggering. Yeah it’s only 5.5” but the clarity is amazingly good.

How has the distance been for you?  There is a report that they can’t fly as far with the SRC.
2019-1-26
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Fraggboy Posted at 1-26 11:26
How has the distance been for you?  There is a report that they can’t fly as far with the SRC.

That is very interesting! Hopefully someone can test them both and let us know

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fraggboy Posted at 1-26 11:26

It can,  in fact signal is much stronger and transmission is incredible , you will probably find that the report comes from someone who doesn’t own a SRC.
2019-1-26
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 12:38
It can,  in fact signal is much stronger and transmission is incredible , you will probably find that the report comes from someone who doesn’t own a SRC.
Thank you for clarifying this. .  Overall, how has your experiences been with the SRC, minus the Waypoints?

This is a first for me wanting the weekend to speed on by.  “Supposed” to receive the SRC.  
2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fraggboy Posted at 1-26 16:31
Thank you for clarifying this. .  Overall, how has your experiences been with the SRC, minus the Waypoints?

This is a first for me wanting the weekend to speed on by.  “Supposed” to receive the SRC.

I have only used it twice, but I know I will never go out flying M2 without it, everything worked as it should, I just went through all the buttons and everything worked really well, tried RTH it was bang on.
I have been using CS but this is a much improved all round screen and controller .
2019-1-26
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 16:52
I have only used it twice, but I know I will never go out flying M2 without it, everything worked as it should, I just went through all the buttons and everything worked really well, tried RTH it was bang on.
I have been using CS but this is a much improved all round screen and controller .

Thank you.  I am getting super excited to get mine on Monday.
2019-1-26
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-26 07:41
Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Mambers and Customers on there experiences on the DJI Smart Controller. If you have any inquiries or concerns with the said device. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Mine is fine.

The only issue is that DJI FAQs state that the DJI GO 4 Android versions will be synced Simultaneously.

They failed with the first release. Its DJO GO Version 4.3.10 and the General Android version is 4.3.11.

Waypoints 2.0 needs 4.3.12

I would hate to be stuck with this in the same mode as my 3 CrystalSkys. In being many months behind with the DGO GO 4 app current 4.3.4. Only 8 releases behind..........

Can we have a definitive statement Stephen? Will DJI Simultaneously release DJI GO 4 for the SRC or not.

The FAQ says yes. evidence to date says no.

What is the reality. Please don't just say keep an eye on your website.

Cheers Brian

2019-1-26
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 12:38

or has set the antennas incorrectly!

The flat part of the antenna radiates the RF so they need to be pointing 'down' not out straight. If they are out straight, then the aircraft should be directly overhead.

I have found it as good as if not better than the original, less stuff to carry, well made. The software needs a bit of work for the softer things, like the language support.

I will be doing a full range comparison next week, weather permitting.
2019-1-27
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

One person had the five-way pointer come off!
2019-1-27
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 1-27 08:35
One person had the five-way pointer come off!

yea i saw that thread. he had the RC in the fly more bag and removed the RC and the 5D button popped off. probably snagged and yanked. hard to say. but sucks for sure.
2019-1-27
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 1-27 03:44
or has set the antennas incorrectly!

The flat part of the antenna radiates the RF so they need to be pointing 'down' not out straight. If they are out straight, then the aircraft should be directly overhead.
I came across the orientation of the antennas. That might be why that member memtioned poor reception.   I am hoping to receive mine tomorrow (Keeping fingers crossed).  

I heard about the (lack of) language issue. :/.  Another half-baked product.  I hope they push out the firmware updates quicker than what they have been doing.  At least keep up with their android/iOS standalone apps.

DJI, your New Year’s Resolution.  Update the CS/SRC app on a regular basis in line with the android app!   K?!?  We would all appreciate it
2019-1-27
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 16:52

How has it improved on the Crystal Sky?
2019-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans1f690efe Posted at 1-28 07:16
How has it improved on the Crystal Sky?

It’s much more responsive , no transmission drops although I didn’t have many with CS I had some.
It’s much more responsive to touch.
It doesn’t require a mount of which many sit directly above remote controller.
Buttons are better placed not having to remove one hand from controller to use buttons or toggles.
No attachments cables needed
Apps much easier to upload
Bluetooth
Direct connection to phone hotspot
Much easier to screen record
Future proofing to playback 4K 60fps
There are many other features on SRC that are not available to CS at this moment.

I paid €499 for 5.5 CS (which is for sale) I paid a further €90 for a dji Mount for Mavic Pro , I needed further mounts for M2P RC and MavAir RC a long with more cables , so the cost for me as against Crystalsky was minimal.

Only problem for me was it’s only available for Ocusync 2.

But for anyone with an M2 thinking of buying CS because it’s 2 hundred quid cheaper, add €100 for cables and mount then compare and SRC looks like very good value

2019-1-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, gonna take a wait and see on this one.  The updating history of crystal sky alone would make me gun shy.  
2019-1-28
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alex B. Posted at 1-26 11:44
That is very interesting! Hopefully someone can test them both and let us know

Fly safely

Hi,

I have just ran a quick test on the SRC and carried out a direct comparison with the standard controller.

The test involved flying the same aircraft on the same route at the same altitude to the same point and then noting the signal strength indicators on each device.

I operate in the UK so confined to the CE powered outputs.

The test was flown with A MP Zoom, on the current firmware (.300) and using XS Max as the mobile on the standard controller App version .12. I then flew the same flight using the same aircraft linked to the SRC, its running version .10 of the App and ver .310 firmware.

The flight was carried out by taking the aircraft to 400' then flying straight out across open fields and woodland to a distance of 1880 meters. This test was over rising ground, which is why its 1880 meters as at that point we could not climb over the trees that were encountered. The flights were carried out in windless conditions at 16:30 GMT, 30 mins before sunset.

Now for the outcome!

For the remote control the remote signal strength stayed at the full 5 bars of signal strength and no loss of connection, The SRC was exactly they same, 5 bars and no weak signal messages.

For the HD video uplink, again no loss of feed back or weak signals, the standard setup was at 4 signal bars at the 1880m distance and the SRC was at 3, so a slight difference.

If any one would like to do a more in-depth analysis I can provide them with the controller files if they wish. PM me if you want them.

The flight was conducted over remote farmland, no transmitters or WiFi in the area, almost no houses, mainly Grass land and trees.

2019-1-28
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

Buzzyone Posted at 1-28 10:56
Hi,

I have just ran a quick test on the SRC and carried out a direct comparison with the standard controller.

Hi Buzzyone,

Thank you I think this is extremely useful test for anybody who is considering SRC. If you will have in future time/possibility/good place it would be interesting see the same comparison but to the paper limit which is 5KMs or even further. But only if you are really interested in this as well and have good conditions for doing such as I do not want you to loose your drone or something due that.

Thanks again,

David
2019-1-28
Use props
fansa7e34cd9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2538474 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DH_Pilot Posted at 1-26 06:47
Thanks for reply. Good to know. Yes updates will be later that is probably tax for this device. Updating is no problem for me as I'm every time using pc and dji assistant 2 from safety reasons.

agree, I never use wifi for updating firmware, I always use assistant 2 as it always works and you lessen the risk of losing the link
2019-1-28
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DH_Pilot Posted at 1-28 11:12
Hi Buzzyone,

Thank you I think this is extremely useful test for anybody who is considering SRC. If you will have in future time/possibility/good place it would be interesting see the same comparison but to the paper limit which is 5KMs or even further. But only if you are really interested in this as well and have good conditions for doing such as I do not want you to loose your drone or something due that.

Hi,

Yeah I have somewhere in mind and would be able to do a max range test. It's high up so will be able to fly directly out without encountering any hills.

When I will do this I don't know, as I don't normally fly out of VLOS, way too risky not only to the drone but also if it fails, its lost and could do some damage, which I wouldn't want to happen.
2019-1-28
Use props
fans65590392
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51732 ft
United States

Yes. Cannot unlock in a geo fenced area at all. Tried while connected to the internet via 4g LTE WiFi connection and also tried unlocking using the website. No joy for either method. Also when trying to view files using the go share method for screen captured media on the remote they do not show up. Tried sharing the media via Bluetooth to 2 separate iOS devices with no luck. Constant errors all the way around. I bought this controller for ease of use and speed and it has been frustrating using it. Really want to like it but they need to fix this.
2019-1-29
Use props
PHLATLINE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1095180 ft
United States

It has update issues severer update issues
2019-1-29
Use props
fans31a50446
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18445 ft
United States

Mine will not update the firmware.  Gives message on startup that update has stopped. Won’t access training questions. DJI Support referred to engineers.
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans31a50446 Posted at 1-29 22:24
Mine will not update the firmware.  Gives message on startup that update has stopped. Won’t access training questions. DJI Support referred to engineers.

Hi, we're sorry if you found a problem updating your Smart remote controller. You may refer to the troubleshooting steps below to see if there will be changes. Please keep us posted on the latest progress.

1. Check whether the SD card is inserted into the remote controller. If yes, remove it and update the firmware again.
2. If not, try a wireless update or update with DJI Assistant 2.
3. If the problem persists, please export the update log. Path: /Dpad/com.dpad.update/LOG
2019-1-31
Use props
Wolf T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

Have a M2ED so the Smart Controller is a really cool looking paper weight.
2019-1-31
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-31 16:30
Hi, we're sorry if you found a problem updating your Smart remote controller. You may refer to the troubleshooting steps below to see if there will be changes. Please keep us posted on the latest progress.

1. Check whether the SD card is inserted into the remote controller. If yes, remove it and update the firmware again.

" If the problem persists, please export the update log. Path: /Dpad/com.dpad.update/LOG"

How do you do that?  I've hooked the Controller up to my computer using usb from the bottom port, I hear the usb clang on my computer.  I get an option to Charge/Transfer Files/Transfer Photos but the Controller never shows up on my computer.  So how does one export the update log?

Why can't I copy/move files using a usb cord?   I've not tried using the usb cord that came with the Controller - no change.

2019-1-31
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11625174 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used it for two weeks and no issue was found. It is perfect piece. Only thing is: it took more than 1 hours to install 0350 firmware. It failed again and again when it was installed at 98%. After tried for 5 times, it was installed complately.
2019-1-31
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine won’t update to the latest version of firmware. It downloaded fine but the update gets stuck at 99% and then fails. Turning it off and back on doesn’t help.
2019-2-2
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7 Posted at 1-31 20:02
I have used it for two weeks and no issue was found. It is perfect piece. Only thing is: it took more than 1 hours to install 0350 firmware. It failed again and again when it was installed at 98%. After tried for 5 times, it was installed complately.

I’m having the same problem. I gave up after 4 times. Maybe 5 is the magic number.
2019-2-2
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Abe Posted at 2-2 16:02
Mine won’t update to the latest version of firmware. It downloaded fine but the update gets stuck at 99% and then fails. Turning it off and back on doesn’t help.

The solution is to the problem of failed update is that you must remove the SD card from the Smart Controller before updating. Once the controller is updated, you can put the SD card back in and all is fine again.
2019-2-2
Use props
dp55
lvl.2
United States

Very much enjoying the ability to get up and flying with the ease and simplicity of it all. Only issue... when I try adjusting the camera settings in Manual mode
half the time there is no response to my finger on the screen. Anyone experience this and if so any solutions?
2019-2-25
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Been running mine for a couple of weeks now and no issues, very happ.
I did have to update it with DJI assistant, but that wasn’t really a bother
2019-2-25
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121112 ft
United States

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on there experiences on the DJI Smart Controller. If you have any inquiries or concerns with the said device. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Hopefully your smart controller does not have the DJI knowledge quiz failure that a lot of folks are experiencing, including myself. Just google it, you will see what I am referring to.  When you try to take the quiz it returns an error message and then the screen goes white and hangs up.  The only way to clear is power cycle the controller.  

There have been reports of this happening during flight.  This bug has effectively grounded our Mavics and so far DJI has no solution.  Good luck on your purchase, but I would not buy one until the quiz problem is fixed.
2019-2-26
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121112 ft
United States

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on there experiences on the DJI Smart Controller. If you have any inquiries or concerns with the said device. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Hopefully your smart controller does not have the DJI knowledge quiz failure that a lot of folks are experiencing, including myself. Just google it, you will see what I am referring to.  When you try to take the quiz it returns an error message and then the screen goes white and hangs up.  The only way to clear is power cycle the controller.  

There have been reports of this happening during flight.  This bug has effectively grounded our Mavics and so far DJI has no solution.  Good luck on your purchase, but I would not buy one until the quiz problem is fixed.
2019-2-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules