Quick best settings for capturing holiday moments
1277 6 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_in_Paris
lvl.1
France

Hey everyone,

Apologies for being a bit 'lazy' but I eventually found a store who had this little wonderful Osmo Pocket in stock in my country, this little devil is hard to find!

I just have time to buyt it and put the Osmo Pocket in my bag as I am taking off for New Zealand in just a few hours and I need help from you guys who already have some experience with this camera.

I will be mainly use the Osmo Pocket to film (by hand, no tripod or mount) my hikes and exploration of NZ scenery - mostly landscape - nothing really sporty, rather slow movements, I intend to film mountains, lakes, only videos, no photos, and I will do all my editing on Final Cit Pro X when I return from my holidays.

I do not want to connect the cam to my iPhone as it needs to be on me all the time.

Is there a 'no brainer' mode to use to make sure the video quality is adequate?

I don't want to return and realize all my footages could have been shot in a much better video mode!

Storage is no concern as I have a portable hard drive to back up my 32go SD Card.

I am a bit lost with all the video modes, especially the 'frame rates' eg 25. 30. 50. 60 - not sure what is best to use, and I also found out that there is super fine settings which seems to be disabled depending on the video settings. Again I do not intend to film fancy footages such as slow motion or similar.

I will have more time to explore all these modes and learn from this forum by reading all the existing threads but in the meantime if you could recommend the best settings/compromise for the kind of shooting I am going to shoot.

Also I was not sure which gimbal mode to use, I have quickly tried the 3 different modes in my flat, but apart from FPV which seems a bit aggressive, could not tell the difference with the two others. Again looking for the smoothest one, especially when paning landscape filming.

Thanks for your great tips!

David

2019-1-26
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I share your experience. I got the OP just one day before taking off for a month of travel in Asia. I just made a few setting change and use it in auto mode for my whole trip. Change video to 4K@30. Recording format to mp4 and change gimbal to FPV mode (so you can tilt it up and down without using the tounch screen and it still does very well in smoothing out your shots) (just remember you have to set it back to follow mode to use focus tracking feature). I did not use superfine at all and my vids looks awesome (according to friends who have seen them) on a 65" 4K TV. I did manage to get a set of Pgytech ND filters halfway through the trip and it really helped on bright sunny days outdoor so you might want to see if you can find a set while in NZ. I have a thread detailing my experience with the OP with a lot of videos from my trip here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549

P.S. if you do end up shooting in 4K, a 32GB  (about 40 mins in 4K@30) card is not going to cut it as I've shot more than that in a day on my trip so I would get at least a 64/128 GB U3 card.
2019-1-26
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Wiz33 Posted at 1-26 14:07
I share your experience. I got the OP just one day before taking off for a month of travel in Asia. I just made a few setting change and use it in auto mode for my whole trip. Change video to 4K@30. Recording format to mp4 and change gimbal to FPV mode (so you can tilt it up and down without using the tounch screen and it still does very well in smoothing out your shots) (just remember you have to set it back to follow mode to use focus tracking feature). I did not use superfine at all and my vids looks awesome (according to friends who have seen them) on a 65" 4K TV. I did manage to get a set of Pgytech ND filters halfway through the trip and it really helped on bright sunny days outdoor so you might want to see if you can find a set while in NZ. I have a thread detailing my experience with the OP with a lot of videos from my trip here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549

Hello Wiz33,

ND filters do not have any benefit to bright sun light or similar. I read so many reviews and most people just dont know for what these are good.

The shutter speed will increase automaticly if it gets bright to let less light on the sensor. ND filters have just one reason and that is to reduce the shutterspeed when filming „things in motion“ (this helps to get a soft motion between the frames) down to double of frames per second (e.g. 25 fps shutter 50 / 30fps shutter 60).

When filming landscapes it makes no sense to use ND filters, but when filming cars driving by or other things in motion it helps to make the footage more cinelike and not so artificial like most of the action camera footage such as GoPro i.e.

Best regards, Alexander
2019-1-26
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It does drop the shutter speed down so you get the proper motion blur which makes the video looks smoother. If you look at the varies ND filter threads here, you'll see sample of how using ND filter in bright sunlight will give you smoother motions on videos. Also, on a bright sunny day outdoor, the color can be on the verge of washing out even at the highest shutter speed setting and a ND filter will help bring it under control.
2019-1-26
Use props
David_in_Paris
lvl.1
France

Thanks for the tip Wiz33, I shall try tp find a larger microSD and some filters too!
2019-1-27
Use props
David_in_Paris
lvl.1
France

Another quick question, is there any reason not using the max 4k@60fps settings?

I see you recommend using 4k@30fps, what would be the difference between those 2 modes?

Longer battery life? less heat in the cam? Files smaller on the SD card?

I do not intend to slow down my shots in post but it seems 60fps looks way smoother when panning the camera compared to 30fps - maybe it's just an impression

Sorry for this newby questions
2019-1-27
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David_in_Paris Posted at 1-27 02:36
Another quick question, is there any reason not using the max 4k@60fps settings?

I see you recommend using 4k@30fps, what would be the difference between those 2 modes?

4K@30 is good enough for most scenic shots and it does take less room ,use less battery and does not run the OP as hot as 4K@60. The key when using 4K@30 is to avoid fast pans. although the OP will smooth out the pan but a slower pan on your own will always gives better results. Also, Object/face tracking is not available in 4K@60. I did use 4K@60 and 1080@120 a couple time when I was on the bullet train and it was pretty good so if you're shooting fast actions scenes or objects, give those setting a try but I'm very happy with my 4K@30 results.
2019-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules