Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
500 meters height limit
8847 17 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 283904 ft
Costa Rica

Hello everyone

I noticed today that on both the App and the controller the height AGL stays at the height above where i am located and not the height of the UAV. Is this normal and is there a setting I can change? I will be filming some volcanoes and mountains over the next few weeks and am now wandering how that will affect the height of the UAV. For example, I launch let's say at 200 feet AGL and start ascending a slope of a volcano... once I reach the 500m height limit the UAV will stop climbing correct? Now if the UAV is actually still at 200 feet AGL going up the slope, I am still within the law of the height limit. Am i out of luck on this one and have to work around this? Thanks

Danny

2019-1-26
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Nolimitdronez there is your workaround

Fly safely and enjoy
Alex
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. In various countries and jurisdictions have different rules and regulation related to the use of the drone.  With the size of the DJI Mavic Pro, it is easy to lose sight of the drone due to its small size, that limits the distance one can legally fly.  500 meters horizontal is a fair distance when flying your drone. I hope this helps. Thanks.
2019-1-26
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Costa Rica

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-26 16:17
Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. In various countries and jurisdictions have different rules and regulation related to the use of the drone.  With the size of the DJI Mavic Pro, it is easy to lose sight of the drone due to its small size, that limits the distance one can legally fly.  500 meters horizontal is a fair distance when flying your drone. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I am aiming at flying my drone vertically at 200 feet AGL but underneath the drone itself, not where I will be controlling it. If I launch my drone at the foot of the mountain and fly upwards the slope remaining at 200 feet AGL going up the slope, I am not breaking any laws as long as I can keep VLS on it now am I? So why does the App or controller not use the altitude of the UAV to calculate this 500m limit? The location I am standing is completely irrelevant in my opinion.

Danny
2019-1-26
Use props
TheVegeta1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

You let me kno ok?
2019-1-26
Use props
TheVegeta1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

You let me kno ok?
2019-1-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ill try to nail every question on the head here at once..

AGL means above ground level, the app is using its take off location as a point of 0 and barometer, IMUs, and VPS systems measure changes beyond this it doesn't know what surrounding terrains delta elevation is and it doesnt use actual/absolute alt. but rather assumes takeoff is 0.  

.. and no it does not use the GPS for this functionality, DJI for reasons beyond much explanation only appear to use a total of 2 axis GPS telemetry, and the GPS they been using for years is compatible with upwards of 4 total Axis in 3 dimensions.  on top of this for last handful of years DJI been using GNSS compatible receivers for GPS systems, means could connect to 4+ dif sat networks for improved telemetry accuracy, however only uses  2 networks...GPS LV1/LV2 (civilian) and Glonass-K    they enable 3D GNSS feature on much much more higher end and premium products even though drones like the spark are technically capable of 4 network and 4 axis of freedom + full 3D GNSS... because it costs nothing to do to enable and ends of using users who want this extra functionality enabled +$200..yay

dji offers up to 500 meters because 400 foot AGL limit in most places of the world only apple to ground level if the terrain is increasing in alt above the drone and you increasing with it, the 500 meter limit gives you 1200 feet increased alt to climb with..  this includes scaling buildings, flying over radio/cell towers, mountains/hills and slopped inclines..     

DJI isnt incharge of laws and enforcement..so VLOS or not its an option you can limit yourself to or not...  and thats how it should be, dji shouldnt be held resposable because you decided to fly beyond your compacity or do something maybe agains rules or possible laws...

why pick 500 meters...idk, nice round number i guess?   1650 feet seems like a weird place to settle for
2019-1-26
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Alex B. Posted at 1-26 16:03

Fly safely and enjoy

Going to check that out
2019-1-26
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Costa Rica

Completely agree, DJI shouldn't be held responsible by law enforcement if I decide to break the flying rules wherever I am located. I am a big boy and if I decide to fly higher or faster or further than what the law permits, then it's my business and will deal with the consequences, if there are consequences. Good thing the car manufacturer's don't treat us like children or our cars would be locked at 100km/h (Canada). Because of limits like the 500m cap, pilots will go to 3rd party apps to bypass this restriction.

Danny
2019-1-26
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Costa Rica

Alex B. Posted at 1-26 16:03

Fly safely and enjoy

Thanks mate I will visit their website and check it out. Cheers

Danny
2019-1-26
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Costa Rica

Just found this video:

2019-1-26
Use props
Wilbur Sean Bvuma
lvl.1

South Africa

SgtDannySgt Posted at 1-26 16:29
Hello

Thanks for your reply. I am aiming at flying my drone vertically at 200 feet AGL but underneath the drone itself, not where I will be controlling it. If I launch my drone at the foot of the mountain and fly upwards the slope remaining at 200 feet AGL going up the slope, I am not breaking any laws as long as I can keep VLS on it now am I? So why does the App or controller not use the altitude of the UAV to calculate this 500m limit? The location I am standing is completely irrelevant in my opinion.

I came across this limitations, would have been great if it could update relative to nearby obstacles

2019-1-27
Use props
MavSpa_user
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

SgtDannySgt Posted at 1-26 17:23
Just found this video:

old video, it only works with Fw V01.03.0700 and so 2017. Modding your FC is hot now......
https://github.com/o-gs/DJI_FC_Patcher
2019-1-27
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

MavSpa_user Posted at 1-27 03:04
old video, it only works with Fw V01.03.0700 and so 2017. Modding your FC is hot now......

For me this way is a bit complicated
I prefer to pay a bit, but change the settings or remove the limits, by only pressing one button

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-27
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Costa Rica

MavSpa_user Posted at 1-27 03:04
old video, it only works with Fw V01.03.0700 and so 2017. Modding your FC is hot now......

I echo what Alex replied... too complicated for me. Thanks for the link though.
2019-1-27
Use props
MavSpa_user
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Soon modding FC will be in NLD too.
2019-1-28
Use props
djiuser_pjbpFkjkdgkn
New
Flight distance : 580945 ft
United Kingdom

So.e of the dji mini 2 competitors are able to fly much higher. The hubsan zino mini se which weighs the same at 249 grams can fly above 800m after the latest update. I believe this is a valid selling point. I'm Almost tempted to buy one. I believe dji should provide update and allow us to fly higher but within law. Maybe sign a disclaimer..were is the trust.?
2021-9-13
Use props
fansaef641e4
New

Australia

You will have to work around it
2021-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules