My tello dropped out of the air!
6492 17 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Latest firmware and 1.3.0 app on iPhone X. Just stably hovering over my bed about 1.5m high, and plop it shut off suddenly and landed on my bed. I did not send any commands to it. After the fall I powered it on again and it took off for a bit more flying in the room on the same battery, it was getting a bit low on the second take off. My phone was on flight mode with only wifi on.This happened to me once before outside, stable hover 0.4m over grass and it suddenly shut off. That time it had full battery and t1d connected to my phone and cellular enabled.

I asked Ryze support and they told me to charge the battery with required current 1.5A for tello and 2A for offcial battery hub. The supply I used can give a total of 2.4A but it charged the drone and hub normally together. The batteries could all go to full. It is not like the batteries ran out of power when tello fell. Besides tello will have auto land activated for that not just shut off in an instance! Anyway their support told me by experience other cases are associated with under charging current, if I was in doubt they would file an investigation for me. So I went with the investigation. What they suggested just made no sense. Will keep you guys updated. It is a serious flaw of the drone if not user error which I believe it wasn't. Any similar experiences?  

2019-1-26
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

We are sorry to hear that Quorum. Have you ever tried reinserting the battery firmly into the drone, just in case that the body failed to detect the battery in the air caused by unproperly installation?
2019-1-27
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

RYZE Posted at 1-27 21:53
We are sorry to hear that Quorum. Have you ever tried reinserting the battery firmly into the drone, just in case that the body failed to detect the battery in the air caused by unproperly installation?

Nope I just picked it back up and restart the flight immediately (had to switch it on again). Both times. I did not touch the batteries myself at all. Just pick tello up and fly again.
2019-1-28
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Can you have a try? Just to make sure that the battery has been inserted firmly.
Any update about this issue, please do feel free to let us know.
2019-1-29
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

RYZE Posted at 1-29 17:54
Can you have a try? Just to make sure that the battery has been inserted firmly.
Any update about this issue, please do feel free to let us know.

I double check battery insertion on take off every time since I got my tello. So, I already tried.
2019-1-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that
2019-1-30
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Guorium Posted at 1-29 18:27
I double check battery insertion on take off every time since I got my tello. So, I already tried.

Pretty sorry about this Guorium. It might need further analysis. Per it, can you contact Ryze support again or you might PM your email address and let me know here. Sorry for the inconvenience this situation caused you.
2019-2-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

RYZE Posted at 2-1 18:24
Pretty sorry about this Guorium. It might need further analysis. Per it, can you contact Ryze support again or you might PM your email address and let me know here. Sorry for the inconvenience this situation caused you.

Thanks for helping me! I already requested an investigation with support prior to my original post. I posted to find out if anyone got similar problems/solutions. I am still awaiting on a reply for FEEDBACK-24878
2019-2-1
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Guorium Posted at 2-1 19:30
Thanks for helping me! I already requested an investigation with support prior to my original post. I posted to find out if anyone got similar problems/solutions. I am still awaiting on a reply for FEEDBACK-24878

Well received. Warmly reminded that there might be some delay due to Chinese Spring Festival. Please kindly extend patience. Thanks.  
2019-2-2
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

RYZE Posted at 2-2 17:55
Well received. Warmly reminded that there might be some delay due to Chinese Spring Festival. Please kindly extend patience. Thanks.

Yes but I do not want my tello to suddenly drop into my Chinese new year dinner hotpot during a home video shoot ;)
2019-2-2
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691959 ft

Malaysia

Hi Guorum, i had the same experience like you before but mine was flying and not on hover. Once a while and i suspect mine was due to cpu overheat. Happens when i fly it under the hot weather 34 Celcius.
2019-2-11
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Cepheroh Posted at 2-11 18:02
Hi Guorum, i had the same experience like you before but mine was flying and not on hover. Once a while and i suspect mine was due to cpu overheat. Happens when i fly it under the hot weather 34 Celcius.

Thx for the reply! It could be one cause. Forst fall happened on a cool day during hover in the shade. Second one was on a 34C max day, but it was indoors. So i can only say, maybe.
2019-2-11
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691959 ft

Thailand

Guorium Posted at 2-11 20:29
Thx for the reply! It could be one cause. Forst fall happened on a cool day during hover in the shade. Second one was on a 34C max day, but it was indoors. So i can only say, maybe.

Anyway you have lodged a case and lets wait what Ryze have to say after the Chinese New Year. I din,t use my Tello during the reunion dinner just incase.
2019-2-12
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Cepheroh Posted at 2-12 08:09
Anyway you have lodged a case and lets wait what Ryze have to say after the Chinese New Year. I din,t use my Tello during the reunion dinner just incase.

nothing yet
2019-2-14
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Sort of  a final update although I still have some suspicions. Will keep an eye out for more failures in the sky. Here is the response from Ryze.

“I am sending this response on behalf of Dylan, we understand your expectation over the Tello drone, as we are open for suggestions and inquiry that might be added on the future updates. For the FEEDBACK-24878 as our data analysis team conducted and evaluate the flight log they concluded that the drone may be really close to the critical point of overheat when landing on the floor. So it became overheat and shut off after raising to the air. If this issue happens frequently you may send back the tello drone in our facility for repair.”
2019-2-19
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Guorium Posted at 2-19 13:19
Sort of  a final update although I still have some suspicions. Will keep an eye out for more failures in the sky. Here is the response from Ryze.

“I am sending this response on behalf of Dylan, we understand your expectation over the Tello drone, as we are open for suggestions and inquiry that might be added on the future updates. For the FEEDBACK-24878 as our data analysis team conducted and evaluate the flight log they concluded that the drone may be really close to the critical point of overheat when landing on the floor. So it became overheat and shut off after raising to the air. If this issue happens frequently you may send back the tello drone in our facility for repair.”

Thanks for your update Guorium. For any further issue , please do feel free to contact us.
Hope you have a wonderful Thursday ahead!
2019-2-19
Use props
jasdeep_singh2000
New

India

I too getting the same Issue, my Tello just shutdown during fly. The motors just stop and there was no LED indication and then I again started the Tello it got connected but after taking few more secs . The batteries are fully charged. I did IMU calibration too.

Let me know if anyone got some solution to fix it.
2021-8-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

jasdeep_singh2000@yahoo.com Posted at 8-1 23:50
I too getting the same Issue, my Tello just shutdown during fly. The motors just stop and there was no LED indication and then I again started the Tello it got connected but after taking few more secs . The batteries are fully charged. I did IMU calibration too.

Let me know if anyone got some solution to fix it.

what is the flying conditions like? Air temperature? Have you loaded tello with any thing not stock?
2021-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules