Why do i have to activate the Osmo Pocket?
6908 25 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338793 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey guys, some poeple arround me who bought or want buy the Osmo Pocket, are very unhappy with the activation,

because of seeing this as an Data misuse or invasion of privacy.

How DJI stands about this and why do we have to activate such a product?
Another question is, is it possible to use the OP without activation, some people did not have Internet? ;-)
And if i activate it, is DJI lurking my Data?

Thanks and regards Guido

2019-1-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Live with it, Use a junk email if you have to. it's a one time deal.
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. We required our customers to activate their unit to maximize the usage of the Osmo Pocket and be able to use it. No worries, we don't have any access with your unit or personal data. Thank you for understanding. Please let me know if you have other concerns.  
2019-1-29
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 1-29 09:12
Hi, thanks for your inquiry. We required our customers to activate their unit to maximize the usage of the Osmo Pocket and be able to use it. No worries, we don't have any access with your unit or personal data. Thank you for understanding. Please let me know if you have other concerns.

Hey and thanks
I know what you mean, but why did not you give the customer a choice of what he wants to do by giving him the option to activate?
A forced activation on the other hand is not particularly customer-friendly, at least one could leave the customer the choice.

Thanks and greetings Guido
2019-1-29
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Wiz33 Posted at 1-29 08:48
Live with it, Use a junk email if you have to. it's a one time deal.

I know that, and i have no problem to activate the product, but i see that are many folks that have the understandable question why they have to activate a 350$ product. No other Camera or brand want that.

2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MavGuido Posted at 1-29 09:54
I know that, and i have no problem to activate the product, but i see that are many folks that have the understandable question why they have to activate a 350$ product. No other Camera or brand want that.

There are lots of things you need to give information, in fact you have already given dji the same info to join this forum as you would to activate your OP, you can’t open an iTunes account or amazon account without giving a lot more information.

You as a European are protected by data protection, you are also allowed to ask anyone who keeps information on you to delete it .
2019-1-29
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 10:03
There are lots of things you need to give information, in fact you have already given dji the same info to join this forum as you would to activate your OP, you can’t open an iTunes account or amazon account without giving a lot more information.

You as a European are protected by data protection, you are also allowed to ask anyone who keeps information on you to delete it .

Once again, i in person have no problem with that and i have no problem with giving up some infos, but the questions why we cannot decide if we what activate or not, is allowed, or not? ;-)
2019-1-29
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 10:03

You as a European are protected by data protection, you are also allowed to ask anyone who keeps information on you to delete it .

That said, questioning things like requirements to activate a device before you can use it, is a very good thing to do. People shouldn't stop questioning things like this. For so many reasons...So thumbs up to the one starting this thread.
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MavGuido Posted at 1-29 10:22
Once again, i in person have no problem with that and i have no problem with giving up some infos, but the questions why we cannot decide if we what activate or not, is allowed, or not? ;-)

Can you use Amazon without giving information No, can you use iTunes without giving information No, can you buy anything on the internet without giving your information No, if you don’t want the product because you are asked the same information you gave when purchasing, you don’t have to activate you can just return, do you not find it strange that someone would be against giving the same information less the credit card information to activate, in these times we live in it’s a very strange question in fact a slight contradiction, seen that in order to get the product you or you friend had to give the same information.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Here is a thought.
If I were DJI and had a very small and quite expensive product to bring to market, how would I go about prevention of theft of a container shipment?
Without effective authorisation of the product, it is effectively an electronic brick. Once authorisation is sought I have a rough idea of where to look for recovery of my shipment, or at the least be able to inform authorities of its possible whereabouts. Once people are aware of how difficult this product is to get working without proper authorisation it becomes a much less desirable target for such activities. Sure it's not going to stop people trying altogether but I think it's a brilliant way of trying to protect a product from such misuse.
What would you do?
2019-1-29
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 10:31
Can you use Amazon without giving information No, can you use iTunes without giving information No, can you buy anything on the internet without giving your information No, if you don’t want the product because you are asked the same information you gave when purchasing, you don’t have to activate you can just return, do you not find it strange that someone would be against giving the same information less the credit card information to activate, in these times we live in it’s a very strange question in fact a slight contradiction, seen that in order to get the product you or you friend had to give the same information.

Hello??? Is there anyone at home??
Several times i have said that i have neither problems with the activation or give my infos to DJI, Amazon, Vimeo, Youtube, itunes, Ebay, Soundcloud, Strato, WeTransfer, Microsoft, Apple, Aldi, Lidl, WHattsap....blablabla....

I ask for the folks and in general, ok?

Regards and thanks Guido
2019-1-29
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-29 10:41
Here is a thought.
If I were DJI and had a very small and quite expensive product to bring to market, how would I go about prevention of theft of a container shipment?
Without effective authorisation of the product, it is effectively an electronic brick. Once authorisation is sought I have a rough idea of where to look for recovery of my shipment, or at the least be able to inform authorities of its possible whereabouts. Once people are aware of how difficult this product is to get working without proper authorisation it becomes a much less desirable target for such activities. Sure it's not going to stop people trying altogether but I think it's a brilliant way of trying to protect a product from such misuse.

Not a bad idea, but why do not other companies do that with their far more expensive products?
My Sony A7iii did not need an activation and can be used after stealing by anyone.

2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chris1a Posted at 1-29 10:24
That said, questioning things like requirements to activate a device before you can use it, is a very good thing to do. People shouldn't stop questioning things like this. For so many reasons...So thumbs up to the one starting this thread.

The question is not a problem, but it doesn’t take a lot of savvy to work out that this is not some underhanded thing to do , particularly for citizens of Europe who are protected by GDPR as well as data privacy, I think Raycube Ice has given a very plausible answer.

The question referred to giving information to activate the OP, but I don’t see the big privacy issue of those who have given even more information just to buy the product, and this is where some savvy comes into play.
What more are they asking me for than they already have and how does this further put my privacy in danger, and the answer is, it’s not.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

MavGuido Posted at 1-29 10:47
Not a bad idea, but why do not other companies do that with their far more expensive products?
My Sony A7iii did not need an activation and can be used after stealing by anyone.

That's a good question and one that has been asked on a few other forums but really only protects shipments on goods. Once activated you would then need it to be reactivated periodically to be of use as a deterrent of theft if it was needed beyond purchase.
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MavGuido Posted at 1-29 10:43
Hello??? Is there anyone at home??
Several times i have said that i have neither problems with the activation or give my infos to DJI, Amazon, Vimeo, Youtube, itunes, Ebay, Soundcloud, Strato, WeTransfer, Microsoft, Apple, Aldi, Lidl, WHattsap....blablabla....

Without the need to get aggressive you said some people friends of yours were asking why, if they want direct answer then allow them to ask the question, otherwise it becomes difficult to keep referring to the third party with every answer, so yes I understood the information was not for you , but you asked the question here, and it is you who is looking for the answers to refer back to the third party.

If you feel offended by the answers then that was not the intention, so no need for the aggression.
2019-1-29
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 10:59
The question is not a problem, but it doesn’t take a lot of savvy to work out that this is not some underhanded thing to do , particularly for citizens of Europe who are protected by GDPR as well as data privacy, I think Raycube Ice has given a very plausible answer.

The question referred to giving information to activate the OP, but I don’t see the big privacy issue of those who have given even more information just to buy the product, and this is where some savvy comes into play.

I know that everything and privacy is a question, but not mine, because I can use a fake mail if I want.
Instead, I wonder if we really need activation and why I have to force myself to do so, because I can not use the device without activation!

Thanks and regards Guido
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MavGuido Posted at 1-29 11:06
I know that everything and privacy is a question, but not mine, because I can use a fake mail if I want.
Instead, I wonder if we really need activation and why I have to force myself to do so, because I can not use the device without activation!

I’m not sure what answers are going to help, most is common sense, if I buy a new phone I must give information to activate it , it’s a sign of the times and we can only hope that the right protections are in place to protect our privacy.
2019-1-29
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

I'm looking at it from two perspectives. One is a broad view on integrity and privacy, if people were to stay quiet and never raise any questions and concerns, we wouldn't have politicians in EU working overtime on it. This particular issue with the activation thing isn't necessarily about if DJI knows what underwear you got on (I get enough of that on Facebooks targeted ads system).
Edit: was a whole lot more text here that disappeared, can't be arsed to write it all again:/
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

MavGuido Posted at 1-29 09:50
Hey and thanks
I know what you mean, but why did not you give the customer a choice of what he wants to do by giving him the option to activate?
A forced activation on the other hand is not particularly customer-friendly, at least one could leave the customer the choice.

Hi, thanks for your reply. No worries, we will consider this as a suggestion and forward it with our designated department. Thank you for understanding.
2019-1-29
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that one of the main reason that they do it is to start the timer on your product warrantee.  Think of it as being forced to register your new product before you can use it.
2019-1-29
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

I believe I was also notified of the firmware update by email.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 1-29 18:26
I think that one of the main reason that they do it is to start the timer on your product warrantee.  Think of it as being forced to register your new product before you can use it.

That is an interesting thought.
Especially with unspecified delivery dates as opposed to date-of-purchase. That seems much fairer.
2019-1-30
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-1-29 09:12

I was given the new Pocket 2 by my wife last-night as an early Christmas present. I use an "Aristo 5" android cellphone, so the usb 3 adapter won't work in it? How am I supposed to activate this camera if I can't connect it? Am I unable to use this phone due to not being able to connect it to my phone? I was given the whole "Creator Combo" which has the handle, but attempting to connect it by bluetooth was unsuccessful. Please advise, and thanks in advance...

dusty
2020-12-18
Use props
DaveSp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

dustyrose Posted at 12-18 11:24
I was given the new Pocket 2 by my wife last-night as an early Christmas present. I use an "Aristo 5" android cellphone, so the usb 3 adapter won't work in it? How am I supposed to activate this camera if I can't connect it? Am I unable to use this phone due to not being able to connect it to my phone? I was given the whole "Creator Combo" which has the handle, but attempting to connect it by bluetooth was unsuccessful. Please advise, and thanks in advance...

dusty

That phone is USB Micro, right?  How about this -

https://www.amazon.com/Tercel-Sm ... ories/dp/B07RHMKG6F
2020-12-18
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

DaveSp Posted at 12-18 15:27
That phone is USB Micro, right?  How about this -

https://www.amazon.com/Tercel-Sm ... ories/dp/B07RHMKG6F

I appreciate the post, thank you. Funny, after purcasing a new cellphone today (specifically for the pocket 2) I said to my wife "someone probably sells an adapter that'll convert this micro into a usb-c. It doesn't surprise me that it exists, but somehow doubt that it would be compatible with the pocket 2.

The brand-new cellphone (samsung galaxy) with a usb-c port, is incompatible! Why isn't a list available that shows which androids will work with this thing, that my question.

Anyhow, thank you Dave for taking the time to reply...
dusty

* I'm really at my wits-end with this little device, as I'm still unable to connect or activate it...

2020-12-18
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 2019-1-29 18:26
I think that one of the main reason that they do it is to start the timer on your product warrantee.  Think of it as being forced to register your new product before you can use it.

Now actually that’s one reason that makes sense.

Otherwise I can not think of any purpose it serves. If dji are not using the info for anything and they won’t disable the item from firmware upgrades etc if the item is lost or stolen.

2020-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules