Smart Controller NOT ready for prime time...SAVE YOUR MONEY
1847 19 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OK..I love my DJI Drones, they are second to none and are high quality well built, fun machines.

I assumed (and we all know what happens when you do that) that the Smart Controller would just add to my fun and be easy to use.

Boy was I WRONG...as others are saying here and in other forums, YouTube and reviews the Smart Controller is just NOT READY.

I don’t know if it’s because of the wonky Android OS or there was not enough testing time making sure the product was ready for release but the SAME ISSUES are happening to multiple people, they aren’t isolated incidents so there is no way DJI testers didn’t experience issues and yet they just took our $650 dollars for something THAT DOESNT WORK RIGHT.

The remedy is not to have to send the controller back for repair, if there are such widespread issues then take the controller back, give out a refund and release it when it’s ready.

SO DISAPPOINTED.
2019-1-29
Use props
Emma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5635279 ft
  • >>>
France

I agree with you 100% ,it's seem for me the product is not finish yet .
to bad & sad the minumum for a new control at 650 euro that everything should run correctly .

the only response from Dji is to be patience ?! Its really a big mistake to put a product on line that is not finish complete , my opinion .

I feel like a beta tester !!

sorry for my English ..thx
Hope that Dji will give somme news ( not only to be patience ) .
2019-1-29
Use props
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Emma Posted at 1-29 05:23
I agree with you 100% ,it's seem for me the product is not finish yet .
to bad & sad the minumum for a new control at 650 euro that everything should run correctly .

I truly don’t have time to have to call them, troubleshoot etc...I will try to make some time today to see what they say...but yes, they have us as unwitting beta testers and it’s NOT COOL.
2019-1-29
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

what issues are you having?
2019-1-29
Use props
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 1-29 05:30
what issues are you having?

Update downloads but doesn’t complete, screen goes blank and isn’t responsive but the buttons can be pressed as the button press tones are heard. Have to turn on and off to get screen on again after numerous trys.
What’s with the screen going dark? Will that happen when I’m in the air? Simple firmware download doesn’t work...HORRIBLE out of box experience.
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What are the problems you have seen ? I’ve seen one and that is app has not updated yet .
2019-1-29
Use props
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 05:44
What are the problems you have seen ? I’ve seen one and that is app has not updated yet .

See the above response.
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NyVetteGuy Posted at 1-29 05:37
Update downloads but doesn’t complete, screen goes blank and isn’t responsive but the buttons can be pressed as the button press tones are heard. Have to turn on and off to get screen on again after numerous trys.
What’s with the screen going dark? Will that happen when I’m in the air? Simple firmware download doesn’t work...HORRIBLE out of box experience.

Ok your having trouble downloading FW, I actually thought you knew something regarding it failing as people were using it, I think you will find every product dji release and every time they release FW there are some who have problems downloading SW/FW, or can you refer me to one FW update on all dji products where there was no problems ?
2019-1-29
Use props
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 05:50
Ok your having trouble downloading FW, I actually thought you knew something regarding it failing as people were using it, I think you will find every product dji release and every time they release FW there are some who have problems downloading SW/FW, or can you refer me to one FW update on all dji products where there was no problems ?

Screen also goes blank as I mentioned above. Do you think a stand alone $650 controller should have issues out of the box? Is that acceptable?
2019-1-29
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

use the assistant 2 for the FW update, as for blank screen your the first ive seen an heard of
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NyVetteGuy Posted at 1-29 06:08
Screen also goes blank as I mentioned above. Do you think a stand alone $650 controller should have issues out of the box? Is that acceptable?

No I don’t think it should have issues, but if something is not working as I think it should I tend to look at myself first, I have two options try to update through the app, if this is taking to long I use assistant2 , but until I use all my options I don’t just think something is broke and advise others not to buy, Dji does not have a single product that when it needs FW update, that there will be problems for some, this usually gets sorted very quick and everything is then ok, ive had trouble setting up tech products all my life and I expect this to continue, and I find most of the time it’s my understanding of what I’m trying to do that is the problem.
2019-1-29
Use props
djiuser_mrzCn6qbyD35
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

NyVetteGuy Posted at 1-29 06:08

Hi,

Of course it's not acceptable.

Try removing the SD Card from the RC (if you have one inside it) and connecting it via cable to the computer in order to update he firmware.

It worked to me.
2019-1-29
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NyVetteGuy Posted at 1-29 05:37
Update downloads but doesn’t complete, screen goes blank and isn’t responsive but the buttons can be pressed as the button press tones are heard. Have to turn on and off to get screen on again after numerous trys.

Are you sure it's just not gone to sleep? Pressing the power button once wakes it up. It won't go to sleep when the app is running and the RC is being used.

My out of box experience was perfect, activation worked first time, prompted for an upgrade which I did over the air, took ages but it worked.

They have just issued the latest firmware ver. 350 which brings it upto date with the iOS & Android apps, installing using Assistant 2 and absolutely no issues.

Speak as I find and I find that its a good bit of kit, and I buy my own and don't get free stuff of DJI!
2019-1-29
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

I do feel for you having an issue that is very rare, but to say it's not ready for Prime Time, I have to disagree.  They just pushed out the update that we were asking for.  They listened to us.  I absolutely love the form factor, the weight to it, the screen, and most importantly (For me), is everything is integrated with a long-lasting battery.  

This isn't a widespread issue.  A few vloggers reporting this doesn't mean it's widespread.  The majority of users are not having an issue here.  If you are so dead set on it not being "PRIME TIME", then get your refund and move along.  I am happy with my purchase and I was surprised when I saw the SRC was downloading an update.
2019-1-29
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

im hoping theres no major issues i just bought the Pro 2 combo with smart RC
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Buzzyone Posted at 1-29 06:59
Are you sure it's just not gone to sleep? Pressing the power button once wakes it up. It won't go to sleep when the app is running and the RC is being used.

My out of box experience was perfect, activation worked first time, prompted for an upgrade which I did over the air, took ages but it worked.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, it’s the simplest things that cause the most frustration.
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi NyVetteGuy, apologies for the troubles reading this. I know that this is something really important and we want you to know that we're here to help. As I can see, you are trying to update the firmware via the app but the screen goes blank. Have you noticed somehow if the cooling fan is rotating while the screen is blank? Another way to update the firmware is to update it using DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.6? Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Connect your smart controller to a PC using a USB Type-C cable with the controller powered off.
2. Power on the remote controller.
3. Launch DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.6, and log in using a DJI account.
4. Click SRC, and then the firmware update button on the left side.
5. Select and confirm the firmware version.
6. DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.6 will download and update the firmware automatically.
7. The remote controller will restart after the update.

If everything fails with the above mentioned procedure, I suggest sending in the Smart Remote Controller for a possible replacement ( within replacement window ) 15 days upon receiving. If not, we can arrange a repair procedure and be repaired with no cost including shipment ( shipment within North America region) if we found it is a product malfunction. Any updates will be sent in thru your email. Again, if there is anything that we can do for you within the confines of the situation I'll be happy to be of assistance. Thank you.
2019-1-29
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thats unfortunate. I completed the update directly on the smart controller and had no issues at all updating. I have yet to have to use the assistant app.This must be an isolated occurance or i hate to say it but maybe you did it wrong? who knows? but sorry to hear that.
2019-1-29
Use props
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So I could not update the controller over the air no matter how many times I tried, rebooted etc...used Assistant 2 and it worked. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt now, did a quick flight and all was well...we shall see...I hope I can do an update over the air next time as I have never had to use the desktop before.
2019-1-30
Use props
bikoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

it's very expensive and android OS so it's useless and the big issue is

2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now