Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket audio delayed by 5 frames?
12Next >
9572 50 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I only just discovered this, I was playing around with some footage recorded with the Pocket and Hero 6 together.  I synchronised the 2 videos in Premiere Pro using the audio tracks, so the audio was perfectly synced between the 2 cameras.  The video was noticably NOT in sync.

I just did a quick test using the DigiSlate app on iphone, and the video and audio are out of sync by 5 frames.  See screenshot, you can see the slate is closed on the phone, and the audio "pip" is 5 frames later on the timeline.

OP-Audio.jpg
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

How Many frames per second are you shooting that at?
[Edit] Ignore that, it' 30fps, Doh!

2019-1-29
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-29 13:44
How Many frames per second are you shooting that at?
[Edit] Ignore that, it' 30fps, Doh!

It's actually 4k 25fps.  That might be important, maybe it doesn't happen at other frame rates.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BigStuart Posted at 1-29 13:46
It's actually 4k 25fps.  That might be important, maybe it doesn't happen at other frame rates.

It probably does happen at other frame rates as well but consider it could be a write problem to the card.
It may not be that it's not fast enough but it may need formatting before use.
I was actually trying to work out the delay in milliseconds.
I will try to replicate this later.
2019-1-29
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-29 13:51
It probably does happen at other frame rates as well but consider it could be a write problem to the card.
It may not be that it's not fast enough but it may need formatting before use.
I was actually trying to work out the delay in milliseconds.

Unless I'm mistaken, 5 frames at 25fps is 200 milliseconds.  I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB card, so it should be fast enough.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BigStuart Posted at 1-29 13:55
Unless I'm mistaken, 5 frames at 25fps is 200 milliseconds.  I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB card, so it should be fast enough.

I'm not suggesting it isn't fast enough, just how the data is being laid down.
If people just delete as they go along rather than formatting after each download then memory on the card becomes discontiguous. That can (but not always) result in glitches of a file being written.
Eliminating each possible cause may end up with an explanation as to why this has happened or if it is a problem with the encoding.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BigStuart Posted at 1-29 13:55

I've just tested at my end and I'm getting a discrepancy of just under four frames in both mov. and MPEG 4  at 30fps 4k. I'm using a SanDisk 64gig card with a 160MB/s read and 60MB/s write speed. Class A2 U3 V30 spec. So maybe there is a card difference assuming the software and internal specs of the Pockets are not too dissimilar. I wish I had a high spec Samsung card to compare to.

[Edit] Should have added I did format the card in the Osmo Pocket before testing.

2019-1-29
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-29 16:01
I've just tested at my end and I'm getting a discrepancy of just under four frames in both mov. and MPEG 4  at 30fps 4k. I'm using a SanDisk 64gig card with a 160MB/s read and 60MB/s write speed. Class A2 U3 V30 spec. So maybe there is a card difference assuming the software and internal specs of the Pockets are not too dissimilar. I wish I had a high spec Samsung card to compare to.

[Edit] Should have added I did format the card in the Osmo Pocket before testing.

I just formatted my card and tried again, I'm getting audio delay of 4 frames now.  I'd be interested to see more people testing this.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BigStuart Posted at 1-29 22:15
I just formatted my card and tried again, I'm getting audio delay of 4 frames now.  I'd be interested to see more people testing this.

Just tried at 1080p 30fps and got a 5 frame difference so it doesn't seem to be transfer speed related as the file is half the size.
I also tried with the superfine setting to increase the bit rate of the recording. The result was just under five frames difference. Around 4 and three-quarters of a frame.
Each variation in recording settings produces the same frame time differences each time it is used.
I'm not sure what this all means but at least it seems predictable in use.
2019-1-30
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-30 00:27
Just tried at 1080p 30fps and got a 5 frame difference so it doesn't seem to be transfer speed related as the file is half the size.
I also tried with the superfine setting to increase the bit rate of the recording. The result was just under five frames difference. Around 4 and three-quarters of a frame.
Each variation in recording settings produces the same frame time differences each time it is used.

I must say I'm a bit surprised it's still only the 2 of us in here!  I think this is quite an important problem, and would like to see some engagement from DJI staff.

I suppose I'll update to the latest firmware and test again.  
2019-1-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BigStuart Posted at 1-30 06:03
I must say I'm a bit surprised it's still only the 2 of us in here!  I think this is quite an important problem, and would like to see some engagement from DJI staff.

I suppose I'll update to the latest firmware and test again.

I think people would notice it recording a band or similar but may not notice that much for speech. I'll admit, until I saw your demo I hadn't thought that much about it myself and certainly didn't notice it, but then I've not done anything critical audio sync wise with the Osmo Pocket yet myself. Easy enough to correct post edit but a bit of a pain to keep doing. When I get time I may do long clips to see if there is any drift involved as well.
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Where was the mic? Almost at slate?
5 frames in 25 fps equals to 200ms and speed of sound is like 340m/s.
Thus, 340 x 0.2 = 68m... so if mic was like 70m from the slate.... this is actually expected.
And that's why you place mics as close to the source as possible.

Joke aside, yes, this is an issue.... I guess not many people noticed because it's harder to notice sound delay than sound upfront... plus, I highly doubt amateurs which are probably vast majority of targeted customers for the OP use slate to sync the video with sound. I bet like 90% does not know that purpose of the slate either. Most think it's for roll/scene/take purposes only. Ah, and it's clapper, not the slate, lol.
2019-1-30
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-30 12:55
Where was the mic? Almost at slate?
5 frames in 25 fps equals to 200ms and speed of sound is like 340m/s.
Thus, 340 x 0.2 = 68m... so if mic was like 70m from the slate.... this is actually expected.

You had me going there, I started reading your comment and didn't realise you were joking! I was all WTF is this guy smoking?

I only noticed because I synced the OP footage with a GoPro that was recording at the same time.  Using the audio tracks to auto sync in Premiere Pro meant the 2 audio tracks were perfectly synced, and then a 200ms discrepancy in the video tracks was very obvious.  You're right, probly few people would notice it, but it's wrong and DJI should fix it.
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

BigStuart Posted at 1-30 13:03
You had me going there, I started reading your comment and didn't realise you were joking! I was all WTF is this guy smoking?

I only noticed because I synced the OP footage with a GoPro that was recording at the same time.  Using the audio tracks to auto sync in Premiere Pro meant the 2 audio tracks were perfectly synced, and then a 200ms discrepancy in the video tracks was very obvious.  You're right, probly few people would notice it, but it's wrong and DJI should fix it.

Yeah, noticed that effect of my jokes on the forum couple of times. So now, I am making clear I am joking....
Last time I said that I was fairly sure some drone fell down due to gravity, half the forum went ballistic.
2019-1-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

It will affect me sometimes. The type of thing I typically record is music related events but if the retarding of the audio is predictable it's workable and quick to edit as long as there is no drift over time.
I've had worse problems
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-30 13:30
It will affect me sometimes. The type of thing I typically record is music related events but if the retarding of the audio is predictable it's workable and quick to edit as long as there is no drift over time.
I've had worse problems

Yep, if it's consistent than it's resolvable. And you know the drill.... if you can't resolve - dissolve.
2019-1-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-30 13:47
Yep, if it's consistent than it's resolvable. And you know the drill.... if you can't resolve - dissolve.

Oh, I've dissolved loads of times
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-30 13:58
Oh, I've dissolved loads of times

Nature of business.... despite the fact directors or producers usually won't agree... then I usually bring the fact of "who watches director's cuts anyways?"
2019-1-30
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-30 13:14
Yeah, noticed that effect of my jokes on the forum couple of times. So now, I am making clear I am joking....
Last time I said that I was fairly sure some drone fell down due to gravity, half the forum went ballistic.

Can't see a problem with that... If it wasn't gravity that brought the drone down, what else could it have been?
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

BigStuart Posted at 1-30 14:08
Can't see a problem with that... If it wasn't gravity that brought the drone down, what else could it have been?

Usually the problem is located between the grounds and the controller.... but if I were speaking the truth, probably the other half of the forum would join the carpet bombing party.
2019-1-30
Use props
Narumon
New
Hungary

Hello,

I bought an Osmo Pocket today. I did my first tests - and youre right. The audio is out of sync. What is the solution for this?
2019-4-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Narumon Posted at 4-26 11:48
Hello,

I bought an Osmo Pocket today. I did my first tests - and youre right. The audio is out of sync. What is the solution for this?

At the moment. Fix it in post-processing if it's that noticeable, or make a Kung Foo movie
2019-4-26
Use props
Narumon
New
Hungary

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-26 15:11
At the moment. Fix it in post-processing if it's that noticeable, or make a Kung Foo movie

DJI is not doing firmware update for this? I think its a guarantial issue...
2019-5-3
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Hmmmm. I always sync my external recorded audio from my Zoom audio recorder with the OP (using  PluralEyes), and was always wondering why I had to shift every track several frames to get it in sync with the OP's audio. Guess what.... Now I know.

Going to test the sync now using a clapperboard.
2019-5-4
Use props
fanse55a7666
lvl.3
France

NoëI Posted at 5-4 07:20
Hmmmm. I always sync my external recorded audio from my Zoom audio recorder with the OP (using  PluralEyes), and was always wondering why I had to shift every track several frames to get it in sync with the OP's audio. Guess what.... Now I know.

Going to test the sync now using a clapperboard.

The same here.  5 frames out of sync. Thank you for the info.
2019-5-5
Use props
Richard Halle
lvl.2
Canada

Same problem here. Is there a permanent fix from DJI for this? Moving the audio 5 frames in post is not a viable solution. DJI needs to fix this.
2019-8-28
Use props
Simo83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72201 ft

Richard Halle Posted at 8-28 08:31
Same problem here. Is there a permanent fix from DJI for this? Moving the audio 5 frames in post is not a viable solution. DJI needs to fix this.
No workaround my friend.

Demuxing with mkvmerge for example, will give you a merged audio track but then you'll have to sync with the movie and... Then... you'll find that since frames are still missing.
If you merge the clips with the same software you'll get a single clip... But it will be out of sync too.

If you try to extract audio tracks from the clip you have to merge...You'll find that some frames are missing.

Since I use it to record concertos, my camera is completely useless: if I wanted to use an external mic, I would have bought a bigger camera.

They know this bug from months: nothing has changed. Nothing.

This is simply unacceptable.
2019-9-4
Use props
acidgreen
lvl.1

WTF where is the fix 4 it!?
2019-9-10
Use props
fans72afd672
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1364439 ft
  • >>>

Finally, I notice this problem. Once you use the file format in MOV, it will create a noticeable noise at the last two frame of the footage. No solution here as well. I can only change it to MP4 file format and then the last two frames of video footage will be changed too silent. At least not affect the general video feeling. However as you told, the audio is out of sync. 2/60= 0.033s out of sync.
2019-9-13
Use props
Richard Halle
lvl.2

Same for me. The audio is definitely out of sync in all formats.

DJI, where is the fix?
2019-9-23
Use props
BigStuart
lvl.3

It's strange isn't it?  Every thread in this forum has a cheesy reply from a DJI rep, something like "gee thanks for posting this tremendous thread, I hope you shall be greeted with an avalanche of helpful responses"... I posted this back in January, and DJI hasn't acknowledged it at all.
2019-9-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

BigStuart Posted at 9-23 07:32
It's strange isn't it?  Every thread in this forum has a cheesy reply from a DJI rep, something like "gee thanks for posting this tremendous thread, I hope you shall be greeted with an avalanche of helpful responses"... I posted this back in January, and DJI hasn't acknowledged it at all.

Join the club of awaiting a serious response.
But then, name one manufacturer that does.
We have to assume that it is not fixable until proven wrong with an update.
On the bright side, none of us have been kicked off the forums for raising what must be difficult and possibly embarrassing issues for them, so their may be hope yet.
2019-9-23
Use props
Yonatan
lvl.1

Israel

same here.... Waiting for this to be fixed for months now...I use the osmo to capture dance videos and this delay is very very noticeable.
2019-11-26
Use props
fans4f7a705c
New

Australia

I've discovered it's actually a bigger problem the longer the recording. I've been recording events of over an hour and every time the OP creates a new file (due to the file size limitations) the audio slips a little further behind. On my videos, the later ones around 50 minutes into the event, the audio is out by around a second. I'd need to put the file into an editing program to precisely confirm this however it is substantially more than 5 frames. I've been recording these events at 1080 50fps (I'm in a PAL region) so I'm not pushing the camera anywhere near its limits. I have emailed DJI directly asking if there is a fix as it is a pretty major fault on an otherwise excellent camera.
2019-11-27
Use props
Yonatan
lvl.1

Israel

hello? dji? anything?
2019-12-17
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, this had been fixed previously. Plz upgrade Osmo Pocket to the latest firmware.

If you met this case with the firmware 01.10.00.30 or later,  plz set up another thread and provide the video.
2019-12-17
Use props
Yonatan
lvl.1

Israel

DJI-ytao Posted at 2019-12-17 23:44
Hi, this had been fixed previously. Plz upgrade Osmo Pocket to the latest firmware.

If you met this case with the firmware 01.10.00.30 or later,  plz set up another thread and provide the video.

Still have the same problem since day one, im on 01.10.00.30
delay hasnt changed, its so frustrating, we use the camera to film dance videos and they are all out of sync.

2020-6-7
Use props
fans83f80a1e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

Yonatan Posted at 6-7 05:01
Still have the same problem since day one, im on 01.10.00.30
delay hasnt changed, its so frustrating, we use the camera to film dance videos and they are all out of sync.

I started a thread relatively shortly after v01.10.00.30 was released regarding this issue.  DJI asked that I make the clips available to them which showed the 4-frame delay, which I did.  They said they would look at the issue.  That's been months ago and we haven't heard a thing.  The only solution at the moment is to fix in post.

I tested a number of different frame rates and there didn't seem to be any difference in the delay.  However, there did seem to be a 1-frame difference between using the internal mics versus an external mic, which I reported in that thread.
2020-6-7
Use props
alexmbraMav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

I just notice this problem with the Osmo Pocket.  But for me it does not start right away.
I was recording a video for more or less one hour.  It was created 9 files of 3,80 GB.
But the out of sync problem only shows up on the last two files.
2020-6-12
Use props
burtburt
New

Norway

Hi. I saw this discussion today. I bought a Dji Osmo Pocket today (20th august 2020), and experienced the sync problem. Very irritating. The audio is delayed. Does anyone know if this has been fixed? Thanks.
2020-8-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules