Osmo Pocket video
7489 12 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I realize the Osmo Pocket has a fixed aperture, but is there a technique for getting a slightly blurred background while doing close up video shots.  Maybe with the new pro firmware updates coming out???
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

The smaller the sensor and the wider the lens angle, the harder this gets to achieve. As a rule of thumb try making the distance of the background at least three times further away than the distance between the camera and the subject. That tends to work on larger sensor cameras from APS-C sized sensors upwards using an f2.8 aperture lens but the background distance may need to be made further away for smaller sensors.
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching out. I hope one of our valued Customer can share their tips and suggestion with regards to your query. Also, we still have no information about the upcoming firmware update. For the latest DJI Product update please check our official website at www.dji.com for more information. Thank you
2019-1-29
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Will adjusting the ISO or shutter speed help any.  ND filters???
2019-1-29
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

dgualazzi Posted at 1-29 17:03
Will adjusting the ISO or shutter speed help any.  ND filters???

No, none of these will change the aperture. It's the aperture that determines the depth of field.
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Well, that's when effect is achieved optically only.
Nowadays, modern cameras, even with tiny sensors like in smartphones, can achieve this through software. They usually use dedicated secondary sensor, specifically depth sensor to provide software with enough data to simulate the bokeh effect previously reserved exclusively for DSLRs with big sensors.
Somehow I feel we will see OP2 very soon to keep up with modern cameras. Two main things that need to be added IMHO are PDAF and depth sensor.
2019-1-30
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

For vlogging and even in most video projects, you want to get the background a little blurred to focus on your subject.  If this could be acquired with software, could a firmware update or a third party video app help achieve this in the future or will we have to wait and shell out another $350 for the OP2???
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

dgualazzi Posted at 1-30 12:02
For vlogging and even in most video projects, you want to get the background a little blurred to focus on your subject.  If this could be acquired with software, could a firmware update or a third party video app help achieve this in the future or will we have to wait and shell out another $350 for the OP2???

If you wanted shallower DOF, I am afraid this is not the right camera for it. However, some people in forum claim it works for them for vlogging. Currently exploring a lot of videos on YT and Vimeo done with OP to see and judge what it is capable of.  Didn't notice too many soft backgrounds so far and faces are covering like 40-50% of frame which is a bit too narrow for my taste. Maybe just not my cup of tea for vlogging. I've also seen absolutely impressive landscape footage (shared somewhere in the forum) so seeing the potential for B-rolls. Still evaluating all the pros and cons, tho.
2019-1-30
Use props
dgualazzi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Well I already bought it, so I guess I'll make the best if it.  I'm getting great video and even stills with it, but the fixed aperture is really a set back.  
2019-1-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

dgualazzi Posted at 1-30 14:55
Well I already bought it, so I guess I'll make the best if it.  I'm getting great video and even stills with it, but the fixed aperture is really a set back.

An aperture is a physical thing. In the past, one or two manufacturers of compact cameras using similar sensor sizes managed to produce a disc that had two holes in it that span into position giving you two options or had a drop in second curtain with a smaller hole in it to give a similar effect. The holes could be made similar to the shape of a normal lens diaphragm so as to give some semblance of bokeh and limited starburst effect. To make a miniature iris that small would increase the size of the gimbal head quite a bit.
Phones do use their processing power to combine images to give the impression of an out of focus background but to be honest, never really gets close to the effect of a good optical lens. While it could be done I'm sure others will moan about the quality drop in output. The problem is not many people get to see good optics so never really see a difference. It's like listening to an MP3 and thinking it has the same quality as a good audiophile system. Modern systems are pretty good and the gap closes year on year but in my opinion, it still has some way to go. The other problem which affects both small and larger sensors is that the wider the lens angle the harder it gets to produce such isolation in the depth of the image and the more separation some people want the more it will upset those who think they need an infinity focus.
2019-1-31
Use props
LaminAndrews
New

India

I guess an add on aperture lens will do the job. Like the wide angle lens available now.
2020-3-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

LaminAndrews Posted at 3-8 14:11
I guess an add on aperture lens will do the job. Like the wide angle lens available now.

No it won't, although a macro lens might but would be next to useless due to the altered focal length.
There is a video editor plugin that can be bought for some NLEs by FX called Re-Focus that can do some of this but is very processor intensive and needs a powerful PC to run it well and even then doesn't look quite right.
refocus.jpg
Taken from video from my Osmo Pocket.

2020-3-8
Use props
Maik Kellerhals
First Officer
Flight distance : 1727073 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

For me it seems to work nicely on macro shots, look at this still from my video, with some nice bokeh in the background. Was surprised it looks that good:

But only for very close macro. For Transitions i like to just hold on the subject and wildly tap the screen for some time, recording at 60fps. This gives smooth focus transitions when slowed down.

2020-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules