FAA UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zero Effs
Second Officer

United States

Does anyone have any experience with or feedback to share about the FAA's LAANC?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange/

How does LAANC benefit me, the drone pilot?

Under the small UAS rule, pilots or operators planning to fly in controlled airspace under 400 ft. must receive an airspace authorization from the FAA.  
LAANC dramatically decreases the wait time experienced with the manual authorization process and provides greater flexibility in operational planning.  Through LAANC pilots and drone companies can:

• Apply to receive a near real-time authorization for operations under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports.
  • Request to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA.

Note: If you are planning an operation in controlled airspace that requires a waiver AND an airspace authorization you must apply for both through the Drone Zone.

2019-1-29
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used the LAANC system via AirMap several times, and it works great!
2019-1-30
Use props
Zero Effs
Second Officer

United States

BobUnplugged Posted at 1-30 06:02

Thanks for the feedback Bob.
2019-1-30
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

A big part of this is the FAA Facility Map, which lay out what airports/air spaces participate in LAANC and what the "pre-approved" altitudes are. I'm still amazed that this system is in place and functioning!
2019-1-30
Use props
Zero Effs
Second Officer

United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 1-30 18:46
A big part of this is the FAA Facility Map, which lay out what airports/air spaces participate in LAANC and what the "pre-approved" altitudes are. I'm still amazed that this system is in place and functioning!

As long as they keep it working with us and working for us instead of using it to work against us! Ha!
2019-1-31
Use props
MRomine
Second Officer
Flight distance : 850971 ft
United States

BobUnplugged Posted at 1-30 06:02

How quick was their response to your request?
2019-1-31
Use props
WaxWingDrones
lvl.1
Flight distance : 553661 ft
United States

When you receive authorization to fly your Phantom 4 drone from LAANC using the Airmap app, do you need to communicate the authorization to the dji go 4 app? I think the dji go 4 app won't let me fly in a lot of areas, so I'm thinking the dji go 4 app needs to know that I received the LAANC authorization, through the Airmap app.
2019-2-4
Use props
fredguenther
lvl.2
United States

There needs to be a direct link to the DJI software so that it shuts off at splash screen telling you you can’t fly  
Yesterday I received authorization within one minute from an airport and yet I could not fly because the splash screen took over the screen view
2019-5-7
Use props
fansfd0c30d9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77343 ft
United States

fredguenther Posted at 5-7 23:31
There needs to be a direct link to the DJI software so that it shuts off at splash screen telling you you can’t fly  
Yesterday I received authorization within one minute from an airport and yet I could not fly because the splash screen took over the screen view

Same here, I get approval from AirMap and get even start the props even trying to fly with the AirMap app because of DJI app.
2019-6-4
Use props
fans251d7994
lvl.1

United States

I have authorization to fly in an airspace but how does my app get approval???,!
2019-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules