Ihpone dies when flying in the cold
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A.S. Aerial
lvl.1
Flight distance : 248274 ft

United States

Today I was out flying, the temperature was around 20 degrees F (-6.6 C). I got out of my warm truck, it took me around 5-10 minutes to get my Mavic 2 Zoom in the air, then after about 2-3 minutes of flying time, my Iphone 7 died. SO I landed the mavic, and restarted my phone, then took off again, this time after only around 1 minute, my phone died again. So I tried it again, this time it died even sooner. So I realize this is not working, and when home.
I have had this problem a few time before, but I was always able to get it to work again. I did a little research online and found that Apple made the Iphones so they shut off when the battery gets too cold. Has anyone else had this problem? Does the Samsung have the same problem? or os there a way around it? because if there is no way around it, then I can't fly in the cold, which would really suck, because that is when I can get some really nice pictures of the snow.

2019-1-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ya for some reason apple devices can not cope with the cold very well.  Had my iPad Mini 2 shutoff on me a few times and been much colder but still it didn’t hold up.   

Two solutions.

1. augment your Iphone a bit.  Either nice thick rubber fitted case and a mount for it. Or find a way to apply a handwarmer to the iPhone to keep it warm.

2. Invest in a dedicated flying device like an android phone that’s half decent. A gently used  Samsung S8/Note 8 offer lot of screen and some water resistance and won’t be as effected by the cold..  Or many other last generation flagship android phones can hold up will and don’t complain about thermals as much.   

I personally fly with a $75 used LG V10 (also had buy a battery for) and it holds up exceptionally well to the cold.  I left it out in negitive temps and it didn’t complain, battery was weaker but it held up, only issue with v10 is it uses LCD (Quantium LCD as LG calls it) so it ghosted a lot while it was that cold because screen froze.. (-20C so cant blame it)
2019-1-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do apologize to know that situation. Hope that you could get the best explanation in regards to this functionality of iOS and Android device. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-30
Use props
A.S. Aerial
lvl.1

United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-30 08:49
Ya for some reason apple devices can not cope with the cold very well.  Had my iPad Mini 2 shutoff on me a few times and been much colder but still it didn’t hold up.   

Two solutions.

Thanks. I have done a little more research on this, and what I found is a article which ( I did not save the link) talked about a temperature test done on different phones, and the Iphone did the worst in cold temperatures, anything below 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) it started having problems. The Samsung held up the best of all the phones they tested, it went down to -22 degrees F (-30 C) before they started having problems. I do have a Acer Iconia 8 tablet, but it will not run the DJI GO app, it only has 1 GB of RAM. I did not think about using a hand warmer, I do have plenty of thoses, and I should be able to put one behind my Iphone because I have a special phone/table mount.
2019-1-30
Use props
A.S. Aerial
lvl.1

United States

I tried putting one hand warmer behind the phone and put it outside in the cold (20 degrees F) for 20 minutes, it did not work, the phone had 38 percent charge when I put it out, 20 minutes later it was died, and said it needed a charge when I tried to start it. So I tried it again, this time with two hand warmers the temperature had dropped to 10 degrees F. The charge was at 68 percent, I left it out for 35 minutes, it was still on, but the charged had dropped to 22 percent in only 35 minutes without anything running on the phone. As soon as I brought it inside and started to use it, the charge quickly dropped down to 16 percent within about 1 minute. If I had been using the phone during that time, it probably would not have lasted so long. I did check on it after being out for 10 minutes, and the charge was still at 68 percent.
2019-1-30
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happened to me many times with using my iphone during cold weather, iphone battery cannot handle cold weather.
2019-1-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

A.S. Aerial Posted at 1-30 15:36
I tried putting one hand warmer behind the phone and put it outside in the cold (20 degrees F) for 20 minutes, it did not work, the phone had 38 percent charge when I put it out, 20 minutes later it was died, and said it needed a charge when I tried to start it. So I tried it again, this time with two hand warmers the temperature had dropped to 10 degrees F. The charge was at 68 percent, I left it out for 35 minutes, it was still on, but the charged had dropped to 22 percent in only 35 minutes without anything running on the phone. As soon as I brought it inside and started to use it, the charge quickly dropped down to 16 percent within about 1 minute. If I had been using the phone during that time, it probably would not have lasted so long. I did check on it after being out for 10 minutes, and the charge was still at 68 percent.

shame iOS devices are basically allergic to the cold.  meanwhile my$75 used  LG V10 been sitting out for about 4 hours in -30F wind chills and negative ambient air temps., and still functioning when i go tap on it to wake it it wakes up..LCD is frozen though, color shifting and image retention and ghosting but it lights up and starts whatever app i tell it to...  my iPad mini 2 sitting next to it only lasted just over half hour.

2019-1-30
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

IPhones don't seem to do well in heat either these days.

A friend's iPhone X over heated frequently. He changed back to the previous model.

Perhaps a one off?

Never had any probs with Samsung (now Note 8, previously 7Edge) but am not a 'fan' of any particular brand ... as long as it works.
2019-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules