Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-8 16:01
Hey Kenny,

I just finished up half of a 7 mile long Drone Deploy Mapping Mission........ 9 x 19 minute flights, each flight capturing approx 330 pictures,   246ft alt.     1 flight was 22 min, and 397 pics.....even though all these flights showed " 2 batteries"  none of the flights were 2 batteries......only 1...thankfully

That's a pretty big area. I might have been able to complete on one battery but I got a low battery warning when it was about 85% complete and it was when the crone was furthest away from me so I didn't want to push it. Better safe than sorry.

Were those paid gigs, I am guessing so?
2019-2-11
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yup,  Paid...... 36,500ft is 6.91  miles long.....20 batteries between 2 pilots

In this pic,  the top monitor shows the KML file.....yellow outline......the day before they increased the width in the middle of the map......but because we quoted 20 batteries, the pay didn't change.
If you see the top square in the top monitor,  that is the bottom monitor flight plan......just to give some scale to the job.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zx7aCe9AUBYcEamv8     After google drive file upload,  the client stated we NAILED it. and that was the first map of this size they had ever needed.  6250 pictures

We got final specs on Thursday,  they asked when we could do it......we told them On Friday.....they about had a heart attack......what they didn't know, was we had already laid out the 19 maps, and added 1, and just needed a little time to adjust to their changes.  This was a GREAT Learning Experience!!

Randy
2019-2-11
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-11 10:02

In this pic,  the top monitor shows the KML file.....yellow outline......the day before they increased the width in the middle of the map......but because we quoted 20 batteries, the pay didn't change.

Well done and congrats. At twenty batteries I would be screwed...the most I can muster up is 6 and that is if I borrow three.
2019-2-11
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I carry a 12vdc Deep Cycle Marine battery, and a 400 watt Inverter  That can charge 1 battery in 1 hr 15 min with the stock power supply.

I also have a cig lighter power supply, and that can charge 1 battery in 1 hr........ While you are flying your other batteries, you can have 2 charged every 1hr 15min or so.......I'll get another cig power supply and then can charge 2 batts off the Marine battery.    Total of 3 charged batts every 1hr 15min......This is what I have for the Marine batteryhttps://www.amazon.com/ONLINE-LED-STORE-Automotive-Extension/dp/B00PXAMYTC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1FLUJAZZOAR0S&keywords=accessory+plug+socket&qid=1550010951&s=gateway&sprefix=Accessory+plug+%2Caps%2C202&sr=8-7

This is the Inverter I use
https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CPI490-Compact-Power-Inverter/dp/B00S9S8G8I/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=400+watt+inverter&qid=1550011041&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Once the job was completed,  I came back with 2 freshly fully charged batteries...... BTW,  the reason we had the batteries needed.....my partner is also the sUAS Teacher at Grossmont College and for that he has 4 complete Phantom 4 Pro AC,  and 5 batteries for each = 20  ( I'm a lucky Guy )

Keep up the good work Kenny!!

Randy
2019-2-12
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2-4 11:47
This is the imaged area...almost 70 acres...it took about thirty minutes to fly the project.
[view_image]

Nice job on your first project.

A word of advice- be careful opening georeferenced images in P-shop or other non-spatial image display or editing applications. Doing so can corrupt or destroy the spatial reference of the image that is needed by some GIS and other mapping software. Not guaranteed, but unless you know what you're doing it's best to tread lightly.
2019-2-12
Use props
Can I get my drone back?
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27142 ft
United States

That's awesome.

You should do a write up for other pilots that are considering doing this type of work/gig.
2019-2-12
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

That IS a big survey Randy! Nice work.

Incidentally, in your GE image where the credits for the offshore bathymetry say "CSUMB SFML"...

that might just be someone on this very forum....
2019-2-12
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 2-12 21:08
That IS a big survey Randy! Nice work.

Incidentally, in your GE image where the credits for the offshore bathymetry say "CSUMB SFML"...

Interesting!

That image was sent to us as a kmz file by our client.  The original was thinner in the middle as shown by the middle line......on Thursday they added the wider line ......changing  4 flights into 5.

So is that YOU?

Randy
2019-2-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

patiam Posted at 2-12 16:22
Nice job on your first project.

A word of advice- be careful opening georeferenced images in P-shop or other non-spatial image display or editing applications. Doing so can corrupt or destroy the spatial reference of the image that is needed by some GIS and other mapping software. Not guaranteed, but unless you know what you're doing it's best to tread lightly.

Thanks...I didn't open any of the source images in photoshop...just the final composite and I renamed it as to not interferer with any of that data. Thanks for the reminder.
2019-2-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Can I get my drone back? Posted at 2-12 17:03
That's awesome.

You should do a write up for other pilots that are considering doing this type of work/gig.

Thanks...that is a good idea. I might do that when I have some time. I am a pretty busy guy...work, freelance, family and then whatever else I can fit in...LOL
2019-2-13
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-13 09:11
Interesting!

That image was sent to us as a kmz file by our client.  The original was thinner in the middle as shown by the middle line......on Thursday they added the wider line ......changing  4 flights into 5.

Guilty as charged. Before UAS mapping I was involved in a lot of seafloor mapping using SONAR and other technologies.
2019-2-13
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2-13 10:11
Thanks...I didn't open any of the source images in photoshop...just the final composite and I renamed it as to not interferer with any of that data. Thanks for the reminder.

Actually the source images are safer, as P-shop won't mess with the EXIFs unless you tell it to. But the final outputs (if they are GeoTiffs or GeoJpegs) may have their georeferencing in a header that 'shop can mess with (as well as in an accompanying .tfw or .jpw world file, which is safe from 'shop's meddling). I'm not sure exactly what DD's outputs are, as I use Pix4D.

But in any event, as long as you give a pristine, tamper-free copy to your client it should be OK.
2019-2-13
Use props
ChavaLozVi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89738 ft

Mexico

Good luck! I'm also wanting to setup the same way as you in the near future
2019-2-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

ChavaLozVi Posted at 2-13 11:20
Good luck! I'm also wanting to setup the same way as you in the near future

Thanks...I am pretty happy with my setup...I will see later this month if they call me out again.
2019-2-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

patiam Posted at 2-13 11:12
Actually the source images are safer, as P-shop won't mess with the EXIFs unless you tell it to. But the final outputs (if they are GeoTiffs or GeoJpegs) may have their georeferencing in a header that 'shop can mess with (as well as in an accompanying .tfw or .jpw world file, which is safe from 'shop's meddling). I'm not sure exactly what DD's outputs are, as I use Pix4D.

But in any event, as long as you give a pristine, tamper-free copy to your client it should be OK.

Yeah...that is why even if I open the large composite I don't save it back on itself...I immediately safe it asd something else...this should effect any of the original data.
2019-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Keep up the good job, of showing our drones in good light, with your positive reinforcement of the doubters...

RedHotPoker
2019-2-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2-13 12:09
Keep up the good job, of showing our drones in good light, with your positive reinforcement of the doubters...

I do what I do...and sometime I will show you what I do...LOL...(funnier if you imagine it in one of those stupid Adam Sandler voices)
2019-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

KennyB Posted at 2-13 12:22
I do what I do...and sometime I will show you what I do...LOL...(funnier if you imagine it in one of those stupid Adam Sandler voices)

SNL folks are normally hilarious..

Thanks for being a positive force, and fine member of the forum.

RedHotPoker
2019-2-13
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2-13 12:22
I do what I do...and sometime I will show you what I do...LOL...(funnier if you imagine it in one of those stupid Adam Sandler voices)

Hi Kenny,

Drone Deploy headsup

We just found out, and apparently DD found out they can only handle up to 3000 pictures for Orthomosaic.  Our job was to provide 2D data...which we did.  Thank goodness they didn't want a 3D map......that could have been 11 to 12,000 pictures......

So,  if you end up with a job that might be larger than that, be sure to include in the contract that max size is something less than 3000 pics.

Randy
2019-2-14
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-14 12:46
Hi Kenny,

Drone Deploy headsup

Thanks for sharing that is good to know. I would assume if you had a project like that you would probably break it into pieces that would keep it under the limit.
2019-2-15
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

My partner and I did break down to 20 batteries/flights averaging 325 to 400 pics.  But since this was the largest project by our client,  they didn't know they could not have a map larger than 3000 images.

Learning curve for everyone.

Randy
2019-2-15
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-15 10:29
My partner and I did break down to 20 batteries/flights averaging 325 to 400 pics.  But since this was the largest project by our client,  they didn't know they could not have a map larger than 3000 images.

Learning curve for everyone.

I have two new site that I might be doing. Both larger then the first one but time will tell.
2019-2-26
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2-26 03:29
I have two new site that I might be doing. Both larger then the first one but time will tell.

Congrats!

All the best with your new missions!

Randy
2019-2-26
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 2-26 03:29
I have two new site that I might be doing. Both larger then the first one but time will tell.

Congrats!

Randy
2019-2-26
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have been flying huge missions weekly and it seems that a P4P can only make it about a thousand miles or so before stress cracks develop. Since the P4Ps are in for shell replacement I may need to begin flying missions with the Mav2. I'm a little worried about that.
2019-2-27
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-26 08:50
Congrats!

Thanks...I don't have them yet...but fingers crossed
2019-2-27
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2-27 02:14
Have been flying huge missions weekly and it seems that a P4P can only make it about a thousand miles or so before stress cracks develop. Since the P4Ps are in for shell replacement I may need to begin flying missions with the Mav2. I'm a little worried about that.

I hope that is just a fluke...that would suck
2019-2-27
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys,  I have noticed that once the Drone Deploy mission is done,  the AC comes home at a rather fast pace then as it approaches the Home.....slams on the brakes.

I truly believe this is most if not all the stresses causing the cracks....... we need to turn down the braking on these guys.  I hope I am not "just lucky" in that I don't have any cracks yet...but I do take control on the way home and come in nice and easy.

Randy
2019-2-27
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine just cost $115 to replace the shell and landing gear. I think stress cracks just happen with enough flight time. Mine seemed more prone to crack during cold weather flights. Turn around time is much better than it used to be.
2019-2-27
Use props
topo5344
lvl.2
United States

Amazing... Curious...   Did the project require  accurate elevations?  Contour Elev Interval?  Spot Elev?.  Did you set survey grade GCPs (aerial premarks)  along the route?   
2019-3-8
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

No GCPs or anything other than they did want .9cm/pxl accuracy,  and that's what they got.

This is showing 2 screens......the top screen is the KMZ file, with a "square " at the top.......the bottom screen is the approx size of that square.  Turn the flight pattern 90 deg so it's more or less N / S and that's the first map of my 10......

Please don't get me  wrong.....I am not a surveyor......but as with most any app,  I can set up and fly a picture route for capturing picture data like nobody's business!!  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BWG4cRzK7iK6C7kT8

Randy
2019-3-8
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats Kenny! Well done and thanks for spreading the positive word around about our scary drones! I too am planning on doing some DB work after I train myself up enough. Still in that process right now. But nice to see the process works!
2019-3-10
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JPilotR Posted at 3-10 08:56
Congrats Kenny! Well done and thanks for spreading the positive word around about our scary drones! I too am planning on doing some DB work after I train myself up enough. Still in that process right now. But nice to see the process works!

Email and ask DB for all the "On Boarding Training" you can get......good place to start.

Randy
2019-3-10
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

JPilotR Posted at 3-10 08:56
Congrats Kenny! Well done and thanks for spreading the positive word around about our scary drones! I too am planning on doing some DB work after I train myself up enough. Still in that process right now. But nice to see the process works!

Thanks. Yeah been a good experience overall. Hope it goes well for you.
2019-3-11
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 3-10 09:45
Email and ask DB for all the "On Boarding Training" you can get......good place to start.

Randy

I will! Thanks!
2019-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules