1473 3 2019-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Byte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4654491 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know it's never recommended to hand launch a drone as there are always risks and if it goes bad, it goes bad quickly.
I've done a number of hand catches in the past where wind or waves have picked up since takeoff and there is no way to land safely without a hand catch. These have mostly been with Inspire 1 which was easily grabbed below the battery section.

I've got a number of jobs coming up where I'll be primarily launching off of boats in potentially rough waters. Whilst I've done this a lot before, I've no idea the available space on the boats until I'm there and there's a chance there won't always be room to launch and land except for hand launches.

Now, as it won't be me catching it, I want to get some grips to make it that little bit safer, keeping hands further away from the props.

I'm looking at the official DJI ones, but they look like they are held at an odd angle.
If anyone has these grips and could link me to some photos of them fitted with the drone in it's various orientations (landing mode, flight mode) that'd really help.

For taking off this shouldn't be too much of an issue, but for landing, once the person has caught it, if the water is very rough, it can take a while to convince the drone to kill the props and it looks like an awkward angle to hold it for a long time.

Has anyone got much experience launching and landing with these? Or alternatively, can you recommend any other handles?

Thanks

2019-2-1
Use props
Byte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4654491 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Further question regarding the official DJI handles, can they fit on the long arms instead of the angled arms? And if so, can they do so without obstructing standard landing?
2019-2-1
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

I'm pretty sure there's a failsafe function in the Inspire 1 that allows you to force terminate the system in flight. It's called "Cross stick command" and will shut off the motors in flight.

Hold both sticks inwards and down.
As you said, be very careful catching a multi-rotor with props this large. I personally would never do it, but I'm sure you can mitigate some of the risk. I'd be wearing some thick gloves that cover my arms at minimum.

2019-2-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Don't forget to disable bottom sensors before! Definitely doable, but obviously on shaky waters and bouncing boat it's much more challenging and risky. The reason for inspire stubbornly refusing to shut down the motors after the catch is because the barometer sensor consider her still being in hover, not on the ground. The only way is to perform emergency shut off immediately after your helper clearly confirm successful grab. Unfortunately there's 3 second delay since DJI decided to replace standard immediate cross-stick kill with left cross+RTH button, if I remember correctly.

BTW, DJI made holders are designed for thicker arms of Inspire 2. You may consider mounting them on smaller size boom tubes with custom made tubular sleeves, something like 2-piece halves and held together by holder's clamp. Been there, did that.
2019-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules