Should I wait until DJI fixes all bugs/glitches/issues with the P3 ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

I wanna buy a P3.. But I am seeing and hearing all of these problems with them at the moment. Should I wait to buy a p3 until DJI fixes all of the bugs, glitches, issues with the p3? If so how long do you think it would take for them to fix many if the issues? In July? In 4 months? 1 year? I know the first people to buy and use the p3s are beta testers ;)
I just want a perfect phantom 3.
2015-6-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would not wait at all. If you wait a few months  all you will have is a newer firmware, newer app. There will still be those reporting their particular issues 6 months down the line, flyaway this, fell from the sky that, wasnt my fault at all, DJI are sh*t, released a prodyct too soon, firmware is buggy. There are tens of thousands of these things up in the skies every day and you hear a "tiny" bit about issues.
I am far from a beta tester.. One of my P3's had an issue and went back but the other is perfect and I get nothing other than satisfaction flying it.

Wait if you want byt all that attitune gets you is a wait before you get to play with the same cool things that others already have . You might wait long enough and the P3+ or P3 will be out, then you can wait for that aswell

Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-5
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

Your right I might as well buy it now... But if the P3+ Or P4 comes out this year then I'll be shocked, as I will be selling my p3 right away...
2015-6-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Victor7k Posted at 2015-6-5 21:54
Your right I might as well buy it now... But if the P3+ Or P4 comes out this year then I'll be shock ...

Buy one when you feel ready Victor. Its your choice and money. Just don't let "scare stories" influence your decision. Most have no issues with the P3

Please no one quote me when I mentioned a P3+ - I know Nothing of new Phantoms in the pipeline
2015-6-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I made a mistake with mine and send it back to DJI directly cause of a scratching motor. However i should have returned it to the dealer. In europe you can send back stuff within 14 days and you get your money back. Since the DJI service center did not repaired my phantom motor and they sort of overlooked the jello effect mine produces i guess its within their "tolerances" or whatever. Now the customer is in a strange situation because there are obviously working Gimbals out there and many "lemons". When DJI says everything is ok with your Gimbal you are forced to stick with it and you can only sell it on ebay but then the person who buys it will probably send it back because of the jello effect. This brings up fears that the investment is "lost" and you are left with a lemon forever cause you cant sell it. So you have to think about that as well.

So i think the greatest gamble here is if you get a good gimbal for good results otherwise you cant use the P3 as a camera platform at all because the jello effect will destroy your footage all the time. You can take it as a still camera platform.
2015-6-5
Use props
scrufytam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1026309 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can go to ANY product forum and be scared to buy that product due to the topics shared. Measure those against the total number of that product sold and you will find it is a very small percentage that are actually having issues.
I'm in the new car business and I hear all the time where people looked on a forum and they'll say "It's all over the internet that this vehicle is prone to this problem". Compare the tens that complain on that forum to the millions produced and you find it's really uncommon.
2015-6-5
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-5 22:01
I made a mistake with mine and send it back to DJI directly cause of a scratching motor. However i s ...

If you're getting jello effect on bright days, the problem is not likely related to the gimbal. Jello is caused by a very fast shutter, so you need to manually reduce it to one or two times your frame rate. For example, if you're shooting 29 fps, set the shutter to 30 or 60. Another solution on very bright days is a neutral density (ND) filter. An ND filter will reduce the light coming into the lens and automatically reduce the shutter speed (and eliminate jello).  You can get ND filters from PolarPro. DJI has said they will offer some in the future as well.
2015-6-5
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

scrufytam@gmail Posted at 2015-6-5 22:03
You can go to ANY product forum and be scared to buy that product due to the topics shared. Measure  ...

This isn't facebook and I'm not a really big facebook person, but....

If it was, you'd get a big LIKE from me!

99% of everyone who's happy will never show up here. The 1% who do are vocal enough to make up the difference! Personally, I feel the forums serve several purposes - it's obvious that certain DJI employees read and participate here - I'll wager there are more than Ed and Autumn. So those with problems can have a public platform to both air complaints and solve problems - or get properly directed to the right location for a resolution. I have very few complaints. When I buy a new electronic product (I've been involved in amateur radio for many years) I try to find user groups and/or forums. I can learn more about the product and, sometimes, provide help for others who are stuck.

Personally speaking, I'm much more fond of helping those who have tried to help themselves first! I find it rude and irritating that so many will show up and ask something like "...how can I start my Phantom?" displaying the obvious - they probably haven't even taken the manual or the quick start guide out of the wrapper!

I'm still chicken to let my Phantom get very far away, but I'm astounded with the photographic results.
2015-6-5
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

No problems so far with the P3p.  Get one now..  and enjoy the summer.
2015-6-5
Use props
salota8550 This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Abe Posted at 2015-6-5 22:12
If you're getting jello effect on bright days, the problem is not likely related to the gimbal. Jel ...

thats only half the truth. Yes the fast shutter times of the camera will make vibrations visible and thats why many ppl use ND filters to bring the shutter down. However a good P3 gimbal should not vibrate or make noises like seen in countless videos on youtube in bright sunlight without an ND Filter.

Another thing you might not know is that my P3 gimbal shows jello effect on the ground without starting the motors, so there is something wrong i guess. You can balance props and use different dampeners all day long if the vibrations are causes by the gimbal itself. This was surprising to me because i tested stuff against jello effect with my Phantom1 and Phantom2 in the last years.

With an ND filter you will always hide the vibrations but a Phantom with a perfect gimbal + ND filter will produce a sharper video compared to a phantom with ND filter and massive jello.

While its true that happy customers wont post on internet forums it is also true that many ppl with problems dont use internet forums to solve the problem and a great amount of users just stick with the jello effect or example, some older ppl maybe dont even realize it because they dont watch the movies in full screen. Some also have less espectations and just use it as a still photo platform etc... So this is only half the truth
2015-6-5
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

salota8550 Posted at 2015-6-5 23:11
I've mine for few weeks now, fly it over 30 times, and not getting a single problem at all.

If you  ...

Thanks that helped

Thanks eveyone!
2015-6-5
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-5 21:44
I would not wait at all. If you wait a few months  all you will have is a newer firmware, newer app. ...

Sploodge - Dude,

You just announced to the world that the product is good 50% of the time.

"One of my P3's had an issue and went back but the other is perfect and I get nothing other than satisfaction flying it."

I am  writing to you now
As I currently wait on hold for dji support for a work order # to send mine back for the acelerometer issue & whatever else???
(see:   http://forum.dji.com/thread-17776-1-1.html )

Victor -

What I WILL recomend is that you look at all your options.
Read the blogs, here and elsewhere.     BBB

Today I will sent the unit for service/repairs, I have NOT received the xtra battery promised - they just now told me-"end of june. 10 days"  ???
UPDATE: Xtra battery on my door step this morning, just as I am sending this away???

How comfortable do you think I am at this point?
Post #13
Not so Cheerful
2015-6-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyGirl Posted at 2015-6-6 01:39
Sploodge - Dude,

You just announced to the world that the product is good 50% of the time.

In my case yes 50%. I like to be honest with people ..
2015-6-5
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

Hm. Looks like 50% working units might be the truth
I have ordered mine with friend at the same time, from the same dealer, even they have arrived at the same time. The only difference is that his one belongs to the good half - and does not have any issue at all, meanwhile mine... belongs to those having sh***y gimbal with jello. Yes I know all stories about fast shutter on sunny days, ND filters, winds, unbalanced propellers, software bugs etc. The truth is that mine has a defective gimbal which causes constant jello in all videos. And light conditions, wind etc makes no sense to it - jello is always visible. And that is out of the box. DJI-Europe got it almost two weeks ago. Still no news...

What can I recommend? You should try. Especially if you can buy one at a local dealer. Maybe you could even unpack it at the store and check for the gimbal vibration issue. P3 is a wonderful machine. When it works as it should...
2015-6-5
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

Man I'm probably gonna wait until mid July to order my p3... I also hope that dji will include a upgraded remote with HDMI.
And how do I know that I have a sh***y  phantom? What do I look for?
2015-6-5
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

Victor7k Posted at 2015-6-6 03:29
Man I'm probably gonna wait until mid July to order my p3... I also hope that dji will include a upg ...

Good thinking Victor

Heck you may just find something else to do with your hard earned
2015-6-5
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Not 1 issue here buddy.
2015-6-5
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

How many of these have they sold? If half are bad, they are already bankrupt! That's laughable.
2015-6-5
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-5 21:44
I would not wait at all. If you wait a few months  all you will have is a newer firmware, newer app. ...

Yep.

Been the same with DJI for years now.

Literally hundreds of thousands of DJI aircraft in the air and forums are "filled" with "flyaway" reports so people think there are systemic issues with the platform but on the whole the failure rate is likely less than a fraction of a percentage.

And honestly, and I always hate saying this, most flyaway reports I've seen you immediately feel that operator error is the root cause despite the mighty protestations of the person involved.

Count the number of times you've seen people who have crashed ANYTHING and admitted it was their fault. People want to believe that because they can press the "auto takeoff" button on a Phantom 3 that they're a capable pilot.

Call me back when you can fly in manual and I'll believe you that your crash was a DJI defect.
2015-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules