Higher Exposure in D-Cinelike Mode
2054 4 2019-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

I realized the following phenomenon: When I shoot a video with the D-Cinelike colour profile the exposure display on the screen shows approximately 1.3 points more than when I shoot the same video with the normal colour profile. When I switch between both color profiles via the screen leaving all other parameters unchanged in can see the exposure value changing.

Is this a bug or the intended behaviour? I thought that D-Cinelike is only a colour profile and should not change the exposure of an image.
2019-2-1
Use props
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

Has anyone got an idea?
2019-2-1
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes, generally when shooting in log modes of any camera the ISO is increased to capture the widest dynamic range, for example on the Sony rx100 mk5 in log mode the iso minimum is set to 1600.
2019-2-1
Use props
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

But I set the ISO in manual mode to 100. And that value doesn't change when I switch to D-Cinelike via the screen of the osmo.
So the question for me is: what is the correct exposure when I shoot with D-Cinelike: 0.0 or 1.3? I would say it's 1.3 then, or?
2019-2-2
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

I am interested in this discussion.

I went out shooting today with D-Cinelike and now came home checking my footage. When I shoot in D-Cinelike, I noticed exposure goes up slightly but because flat nature of D-Cinelike, shadows are became brighter and I presumed that raised shadow is what exposure meter picked up. So I went ahead and compensated my setting to get the exposure I want as I do with natural color. Came back and looking at the footage, I got the exposure I want. So I guess you can trust exposure meter and in your terms 0.0 in D-Cinelike.

However people ususally tip others to over exposure when shooting in flat picture profile to avoid noise in the shadow. (of course while maintaining manageble low ISO and not cliping highlight that is.) I still not have my opinon on that util I finish editing today's footage.
2019-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules