Shielded compass
4384 15 2014-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whitard
lvl.1

United States

I noticed among the upgrades DJI includes a shielded compass and I am wondering if that is something that I should purchase and attempt to install on my Phantom 2 Vision Plus. I have the Vision Plus version just prior to the most recent upgrade. Would having a shielded compass lessen the likelihood of flyaways and other such behaviors? Would it be problematic to install for those of us not particularly knowledgeable of such installations?

Thanks!

2014-11-9
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51998 ft
United States

I am thinking of upgrading to  that too. I have the 1st gen Vision Plus and I have no problem with my compass, but currently the way they have it installed is so exposed that it may lead to future malfunction. Check Drone Camps RC they even have an upgrade package for Vision Plus that you might be interested and cheaper if you buy the bundle. For now I am just upgrading my compass to the new shielded one. I only have my Vision Plus less that 2 months with 4 flights , motors and ESC are I think still in good shape.  Hey, do you know if the new upgraded "boosted props" 9450 is compatible with the older motors 2212?
2014-11-9
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Does "shielded" refer to interference shielding or just the Plastic covering to protect (Shield) a stock somewhat exposed compass?
DJI, Please clarify.
2014-11-9
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

rethuringer@icl Posted at 2014-11-10 02:53
Does "shielded" refer to interference shielding or just the Plastic covering to protect (Shield) a s ...

Shielding is for electronic interference with the compass.
2014-11-9
Use props
Phantom2Flyer
lvl.2

United Kingdom

drone7 Posted at 2014-11-10 01:43
I am thinking of upgrading to  that too. I have the 1st gen Vision Plus and I have no problem with m ...

Yes you can use new thrust boosted 9450's with the old 2212 motors.
2014-11-9
Use props
premro8
New

Brazil

Hi
Please let me know where we can buy the shielded compass upgrade. i am having constant problem with my compass when i am travelling aboard, due to TSA scanning. let me know the site please.
thanks-- Prem
2014-11-10
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

premro8@gmail.c Posted at 2014-11-11 04:32
Hi
Please let me know where we can buy the shielded compass upgrade. i am having constant problem w ...

premro8 - You can buy the the new compass for Dji Phantom 2 vision plus at  Drone Camps RC choose #18  if you have Vision Plus #16 for Vision only $15.00 plus shipping, depends on where you are located for New Jersey is $12 shipping.  Just google it and they have a lot of upgrades for Dji vision and vision plus bundle. Hope this helps
2014-11-10
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

Phantom2Flyer Posted at 2014-11-10 12:56
Yes you can use new thrust boosted 9450's with the old 2212 motors.

Phantom2Flyer - Thanks, I just got the new Thrust Boosted Props 9450 today in the mail and they are a little bit wider and stiffer.  I will check if it is balanced already, can't wait to try it. A little bit confusing if mixed up with the regular props they look almost the same, but the feel is different.
2014-11-10
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-11-10 12:05
Shielding is for electronic interference with the compass.

How do you know ??
2014-11-10
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

While there is a new plastic cover when the term "shielded" is used when discussing the compass it is referring to electronic shielding as that was a problem with the previous version.  
2014-11-10
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

drone7 Posted at 2014-11-11 04:50
Phantom2Flyer - Thanks, I just got the new Thrust Boosted Props 9450 today in the mail and they ar ...

Take your old props and put them away somewhere and you won't get them mixed up.
2014-11-11
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-11-11 08:51
While there is a new plastic cover when the term "shielded" is used when discussing the compass it ...

was there a problem that required "electronic shielding"?  The only problem that I know of was that the compass module could be magnetized by large magnetic fields requiring degaussing.
2014-11-11
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-12 00:38
was there a problem that required "electronic shielding"?  The only problem that I know of was tha ...

After getting my New 9450 Thrust Boosted Props I checked if they are balanced unfortunately they were not. I have to balance it myself I am really disappointed for the price Dji sell it for at least they should have been factory dynamically balanced.
2014-11-11
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

drone7 Posted at 2014-11-12 07:00
After getting my New 9450 Thrust Boosted Props I checked if they are balanced unfortunately they w ...

How do you check to see if they are balanced?
2014-11-11
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

michael.haws@ya Posted at 2014-11-12 08:00

I have a prop balancer designed for Phantom self tightening props. I bought a rod with clockwise and counterclockwise thread on both end that fits on the DJI Phantom Props. Here just type this on the search box on eBay  "DJI Phantom Balance Rod for Balancing Self-Tightening Propellers Props 2 Vision+" . You can buy just the rod or the set with the balancer. I would suggest buy the set it only cost $27 shipping included. It is very useful it will make your quad very stable. Let me know if you need help balancing your props. I tried to attach photo but It won't come out don't know why.
2014-11-11
Use props
drone7
lvl.2
United States

michael.haws@ya Posted at 2014-11-12 08:00

I have a prop balancer designed for Phantom self tightening props. I bought a rod with clockwise and counterclockwise thread on both end that fits on the DJI Phantom Props. Here just type this on the search box on eBay  "DJI Phantom Balance Rod for Balancing Self-Tightening Propellers Props 2 Vision+" . You can buy just the rod or the set with the balancer. I would suggest buy the set it only cost $27 shipping included. It is very useful it will make your quad very stable. Let me know if you need help balancing your props. I tried to attach photo but It won't come out don't know why.
2014-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules