Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro battery charges, powers drone on, shows dead in app.
12Next >
12454 46 2019-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

I have three batteries that came with my Mavic 2 Pro brand new, day of launch, straight from DJI, China. I have many other tech items I use, including a Mavic Pro and an Osmo Pocket and various action cams, etc, so flying the Mavic 2 a lot hasn't been a priority. These batteries have had very little use. I charge them once they hit 1/4 to 1/2 capacity to keep them fresh, not allowing them to completely discharge. Until recently they have all seemed fine as far as the lights on the battery are concerned; charging up they are flashing consistently in sequence as they should, when charged and flashing stops they show four lights for "fully charged"... but when I put one of the batteries into the drone and power it on (it powers on but the motors will not start and the blades will NOT turn), there is immediately a low battery warning that comes on screen and a "Return to home immediately" warning as well, saying there is not much battery life left. (See photos... and NO, the beer in the background was not consumed prior to trying to get this battery to work!)

First thing I see upon startup of drone

First thing I see upon startup of drone

This is what worries me: "battery Signal Error"

This is what worries me: "battery Signal Error"

Going into the battery on the Go 4 app, there is NO info showing up for the battery; the cells are all empty, number of times charged, etc all show "N/A" for info, as though the battery is not connecting, even though the drone IS RUNNING.

Battery in question shows nothing for info

Battery in question shows nothing for info

The app clearly shows all is well with the other batteries

Good batteries show up fine

Good batteries show up fine

and there is more than enough juice to run the camera/gimbal, etc, it's just not getting that info to the drone's brain.

The lights on the battery's switch are working fine, flash in sequence while charging, go out when charging is complete and come on when pressed to show a full charge, also sequencing through the startup of the battery, but when the app info comes on screen, there is no battery info getting into the drone's computer.

Light works, sequences when charging, starts drone but won't power motors on

Light works, sequences when charging, starts drone but won't power motors on

I have an email in to DJI support, but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and was informed of a possible easy fix, hard-reset sequence of button pushes, etc they could share.

Thanks in advance.

2019-2-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to refresh the firmware of your drone via DJI Assistant 2 while using this battery so we can check. Once done, kindly re-link your remote controller to  the aircraft and let see. If the issue persists, please let us know for further help. Thank you.
2019-2-2
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-2 16:07
Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to refresh the firmware of your drone via DJI Assistant 2 while using this battery so we can check. Once done, kindly re-link your remote controller to  the aircraft and let see. If the issue persists, please let us know for further help. Thank you.

Hi! Yes, I will give that a shot. Thank you for the quick response!
2019-2-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ktiura Posted at 2-2 16:08
Hi! Yes, I will give that a shot. Thank you for the quick response!

You're most welcome. Please don't forget to hit reply for us to notify.
2019-2-2
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to refresh the firmware of your drone via DJI Assistant 2 while using this battery so we can check. Once done, kindly re-link your remote controller to  the aircraft and let see. If the issue persists, please let us know for further help. Thank you.

Okay... so I downloaded a fresh copy of DJI Assistant 2, hooked up the Mavic 2 to my computer, placed the battery in question in it and started it up.

I went to the Firmware Update section, saw that my firmware was current, and hit Refresh. I went through this process 3 times. Each time the process got to 80% and said "Battery Update Error" and told me to detach and reattach battery and try again. Three times, three results exactly the same; failed at 80% with a battery error.

I am now trying a fourth time, but if you've got access to my account via my username and can check my uploaded log files and maybe get an idea of the issue, we can see if anything else will work, if NOTHING else will work, etc.

I will upload the log file each time I try (I think I only uploaded two of the three before).

Thank you for helping.
2019-2-2
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

This is the message I got the fourth time I tried refreshing the updated firmware. Disconnected and reconnected the battery every time. Stalled at 80% and the failed.
2019-2-2
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you using ethernet connection by chance? Wifi can make updates with assistant very moody.
2019-2-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ktiura Posted at 2-2 17:06
This is the message I got the fourth time I tried refreshing the updated firmware. Disconnected and reconnected the battery every time. Stalled at 80% and the failed.
[view_image][view_image]

Guess have to make a warranty claim with customer service on that specific battery looks like.  

If they ask you to return entire drone because it came with it tell them no, just the battery need replacing.  And prepare for a possibly slow and confusing bit if going in a circle..  hopefully a dji staffer here can escalate your case once you make one so you can get into contact with a manager and get it replaced quickly.
2019-2-2
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-2 19:53
Are you using ethernet connection by chance? Wifi can make updates with assistant very moody.

No wifi, plugged in directly.
2019-2-2
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-2 20:49
Guess have to make a warranty claim with customer service on that specific battery looks like.  

If they ask you to return entire drone because it came with it tell them no, just the battery need replacing.  And prepare for a possibly slow and confusing bit if going in a circle..  hopefully a dji staffer here can escalate your case once you make one so you can get into contact with a manager and get it replaced quickly.

Looks like I may have a foot in the door with the DJI forum admin helping here, we'll see. I'm curious to see what the Assistant log files are saying. Should be a pretty clear case of warranty replacement, and no way am I sending my entire drone to get a replacement battery! I know they tell you to that's ridiculous! They came in their own little boxes inside the package I got my drone box in, there's no reason they can't go back that way (although I don't have the original boxes any more).

Very strange, though, that the battery seems to work fine, just not register that it's working with the drone or, apparently, Assistant...
2019-2-2
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ktiura Posted at 2-2 22:29
Looks like I may have a foot in the door with the DJI forum admin helping here, we'll see. I'm curious to see what the Assistant log files are saying. Should be a pretty clear case of warranty replacement, and no way am I sending my entire drone to get a replacement battery! I know they tell you to that's ridiculous! They came in their own little boxes inside the package I got my drone box in, there's no reason they can't go back that way (although I don't have the original boxes any more).

Very strange, though, that the battery seems to work fine, just not register that it's working with the drone or, apparently, Assistant...

Hi,

I have returned batteries to DJI before without the drone. During the ticket process, select accessories and then enter the serial number of the battery.

I’m in UK at he whole return process took seven working days from start to finish.
2019-2-3
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2-3 00:16
Hi,

I have returned batteries to DJI before without the drone. During the ticket process, select accessories and then enter the serial number of the battery.

Thanks! Good info to know.
2019-2-3
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

ktiura Posted at 2-3 05:46

Good luck ! Keep us posted
2019-2-3
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

ktiura Posted at 2-3 05:46

Good luck ! Keep us posted
2019-2-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ktiura Posted at 2-2 16:54
Okay... so I downloaded a fresh copy of DJI Assistant 2, hooked up the Mavic 2 to my computer, placed the battery in question in it and started it up.

I went to the Firmware Update section, saw that my firmware was current, and hit Refresh. I went through this process 3 times. Each time the process got to 80% and said "Battery Update Error" and told me to detach and reattach battery and try again. Three times, three results exactly the same; failed at 80% with a battery error.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I will coordinate your log file to the right department for data analysis. I'll get back to you once I have the update. Thanks for your understanding.
2019-2-4
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-4 13:55
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I will coordinate your log file to the right department for data analysis. I'll get back to you once I have the update. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi;

I got a response from DJI Support on this issue and a case was opened. They requested a video of the issue, which I provided. They are sending a shipping label for the return of the battery for testing. Thanks for your reply, I think things will be taken care of via DJI Refresh and my warranty at this point.
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ktiura Posted at 2-4 15:14
Hi;

I got a response from DJI Support on this issue and a case was opened. They requested a video of the issue, which I provided. They are sending a shipping label for the return of the battery for testing. Thanks for your reply, I think things will be taken care of via DJI Refresh and my warranty at this point.

I see. That's great to know. If you have other concern, please feel free to reach us. We're glad to help.  Thanks for your support.
2019-2-4
Use props
grendeljaeger
lvl.1
United States

Darn, I came here in hopes of finding an easy solution to the exact same problem I just experienced this weekend.  I also get stuck at exactly 80% when trying to refresh the last firmware with this battery installed. I have only flown the Mavic 2 Z 3 times and only used this battery once.
2019-2-4
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

grendeljaeger Posted at 2-4 18:38
Darn, I came here in hopes of finding an easy solution to the exact same problem I just experienced this weekend.  I also get stuck at exactly 80% when trying to refresh the last firmware with this battery installed. I have only flown the Mavic 2 Z 3 times and only used this battery once.

Yeah... I don't think it's going to be an easy fix. It will most likely require a replacement battery. The odd part is that the battery HAS juice; the controller shows it's at 97% in fact, but the app sees it as, basically, missing. I think the drone probably recognizes it as charged as well, but without the app telling it that the battery is there, charged and functional, the drone won't act accordingly and start the motors, it only goes into standby mode for startup and runs through the gimbal start, prop/motor initialization and the lights go on.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the chip in the battery not sending the appropriate signal to the app, but what signals it DOES send are being received by the controller.

DJI Support asked me to make a video of the problem. Fortunately, I have a bunch of camera stuff and am good at FCPX so I could throw a comprehensive video together in an hour or so this morning after I got the email, posted it to my YouTube channel and they responded quickly after watching it. They were very pleased with the video, so if you have to jump through the same hoops for your issue, I suggest taking the time to make a video that shows everything they ask for and do it without interruptions in the video so there's no question about edits and such. I took a closeup photo of the battery serial number, looking through my Swiss Army Knife magnifying glass, and started the video with the battery right where it was when I took the photo, then did the entire video without cutting scenes, putting the bad battery in the drone and starting it up with the app running and visible in the video, then did the same with the good batteries (I have three) to show that the app did see them as fine and showed all their info in the battery data window, etc. I went through all this a few times and at the end too a closeup video of the battery, again showing the serial number on the bottom before moving out for a complete view of all sides of the battery to show that it had no damage whatsoever to the exterior.

I think all this attention to the small details was what won them over so quickly. I got the first email from DJI Support, after starting a support 'case' last night, first thing this morning, made the video immediately, posted it to YouTube right away (can't send a 1.6GB video via email!) and returned their email with the link in it, plus all my other info they requested and had an answer from them in a couple hours!

I only hope the rest of the process goes so well!

Good luck with your issue. Let me know if you need any info I may be able to help with.
2019-2-4
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

So, I just got word this evening that DJI, after receiving my battery yesterday and evaluating it, is replacing this battery at no charge! As it should be. 3-6 days I should have a third battery again.
2019-2-13
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

So, just got my replacement battery, provided by DJI on warranty, this morning! The whole process was rather simple for me, but I could see it being a pain for those without the ability to make a concise video of their issue to appease the support folks at DJI.

The video is what made this so easy, so if you have to go through it, jump through the hoops. Make a video with your phone. Mine was very detailed but I don't think that's entirely necessary; just show that, while hooked up and in the app, the done is on and no info is getting to the app. They'll send a mailing label and you follow the details on sending the battery and info asked for and get it to them ASAP, and you should be good to go.
2019-2-18
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

yuft gtdr Posted at 2-18 11:10
So, I just got word this evening that DJI, after receiving my battery yesterday and evaluating it, is replacing this battery at no charge! As it should be. 3-6 days I should have a third battery again.

Just out trolling...?
2019-2-18
Use props
djiuser_TolmNZ4kl69s
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62628 ft
United States

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to refresh the firmware of your drone via DJI Assistant 2 while using this battery so we can check. Once done, kindly re-link your remote controller to  the aircraft and let see. If the issue persists, please let us know for further help. Thank you.
I'm having the same issue with 3 of 4 batteries.  Have done the refresh with firmware with all 3 batteries numerous times now still showing same issue.
2019-6-9
Use props
djiuser_TolmNZ4kl69s
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62628 ft
United States

Dji sent me 3 new batteries due to the 3 I sent back being inoperable.  I now have another 2 batteries doing the same thing.  Will be opening up a new claim. Quite annoying. This aircraft has never been crashed or in a collision.  Batteries are being charged on stock charged and this battery issue appears to random.
2019-8-30
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

I see this is an older thread, however, it matches exactly, what I'm currently facing.

Only diff is my issue comes at random, but does go away (w/ time. 12+ hrs est). The issue occuring more frequent over the past 6mo. It randomly occurs using any of my 3 batteries (near same age. 7-8/2018). Even stranger, once the issue is triggered, which is only at the start of a flight, it doesnt matter what batt I install, I still get N/A for the batt level, even if I install the batt that I just flew down to 25%, which it just recognized secs before!

Usually I'd get 1 - 2 flights in, no probs in flight, then on 2nd-3rd flight, at first start-up, I'd power up the M2Z and itd start up just like it usually does, the FPV worked, everything worked except the battery showed, on app, as N/A and the M2 would not spin-up, and the batt details showed nothing for cell data, SN, etc

The Batt is not being recognized even though there is clearly power transfer.

The OPs post is exactly the same as my issue
2020-1-22
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
United States

I've passed my warranty date, just as others probably have, so for others in the same situation, I want to share that Im currently "knock-on-wood" on my 4th rotation thru all 3 batteries, w/o a single issue, which was unheard of before this possible fix!

Its nothing new, but how I implemeted it is what I think did the trick?

Ive downgraded fw then upgraded before but it never solve anything.

INSTEAD of upgrading the fw using 1st battery, then refreshing that same fw for the next 2 batts, THIS TIME, I downgraded the fw to .0400, then upgraded to .0510 again, ON EACH BATT!

Make sure you do a full down/upgrade cycle while each battery is installed.

I'm not sure this will work for anyone else but I hope so!

It makes sense, now that I've done it, because the way I was doing it before seems to only refresh the already installed fw version, whereas this method, totally overwrites that version, then overwrites that w/ a fresh new upgrade package, which leaves nothing behind.
2020-1-22
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
United States

I'll be sure to edit this thread if the issue comes back but I hope it doesnt and I truly hope this helps others.

This downgrade/upgrade method for each battery may even solve other issues?

Anyway, leave your results if this does or doesnt work and how its going in general!
2020-1-22
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM Posted at 1-22 20:36
I'll be sure to edit this thread if the issue comes back but I hope it doesnt and I truly hope this helps others.

This downgrade/upgrade method for each battery may even solve other issues?

Thanks for the info! It might help someone. I’ll certainly keep it in mind if I ever have issues again!
2020-1-22
Use props
The Rocket Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7431 ft
United States

djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM Posted at 1-22 20:34
I've passed my warranty date, just as others probably have, so for others in the same situation, I want to share that Im currently "knock-on-wood" on my 4th rotation thru all 3 batteries, w/o a single issue, which was unheard of before this possible fix!

Its nothing new, but how I implemeted it is what I think did the trick?

Tried this. Did not work for me.
2020-3-10
Use props
smirnoff9969
lvl.4
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

gees...I just got me a NEW second battery for M2Pro and didn`t expect any trouble...charge it and flew straigh away...didn`t count of any problems with NEW battery...
2020-3-10
Use props
Mugsie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1187005 ft
United States

My personal belief and from personal experience is that they batteries were hot after a flight. You did not allow the battery to wait to cool down. You put the hot battery on a charger and it ruined the battery. Process should be, fly drone remove battery and let it cool. After the next battery flight throw the last battery on the charger now since that is cool. Allow the new hot battery to cool. etc....   I live in Dallas, Texas and I have ruined 4 or 5 batteries exactly like this. This year I will take an ice cooler and place each battery in a ziploc bag and place in the cooler for 15 min. After 15 min than proceed to the charging of the battery.
2020-3-10
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

Mugsie Posted at 3-10 12:57
My personal belief and from personal experience is that they batteries were hot after a flight. You did not allow the battery to wait to cool down. You put the hot battery on a charger and it ruined the battery. Process should be, fly drone remove battery and let it cool. After the next battery flight throw the last battery on the charger now since that is cool. Allow the new hot battery to cool. etc....   I live in Dallas, Texas and I have ruined 4 or 5 batteries exactly like this. This year I will take an ice cooler and place each battery in a ziploc bag and place in the cooler for 15 min. After 15 min than proceed to the charging of the battery.

Well Mugsie, that's certainly a good guess since the idea makes sense, but your experiences notwithstanding, I don't fly at home and don't carry my charger with me. I do carry a mobile charger (cigarette lighter plug-in type) but don't use it unless I have to, and by then, having four batteries, once I decide I may need it, it's had time to cool off.
Too bad it took you so many ruined batteries to figure that out.
2020-3-10
Use props
fans3f5c12d4
lvl.1
Germany

Found this tread today. I got exactly the same issue with one of my batteries. Both worked fine since about 2 years.
I always use the original DJI charger.

Some days ago I charged both batteries. When I plugged in one battery to the drone, I saw a short flash of the green ring, which I never saw before.
Now I notice the same problem - "Battery Signal Error - ensure that your battery is produced by DJI and check the battery connection".
The second battery does not show the problem, so it must be a battery issue.

I contacted the European DJI support and got the response to buy a new battery, because its out of warranty.
Looks like DJI got a battery sudden death problem, but they try to ignore that.
Very annoying !
2020-5-16
Use props
fansf803da10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3123661 ft
Hong Kong

My Mavic Pro batteries have been charging less than 40 times and both are swelling/inflated. Any other victims out there !?
2020-5-17
Use props
fansf803da10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3123661 ft
Hong Kong

My Mavic Pro batteries have been charging less than 40 times and both are swelling/inflated. Any other victims out there !?
image.jpg
image.jpg
2020-5-17
Use props
fgonzalessbcglobal.net
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86880 ft
United States

I had the same problem. currently waiting to hear back from the dealer that sold me the battery. You're are not the only one with this problem,
2020-7-17
Use props
djiuser_DemdAH3KSMxF
New

Czechia

Hello i have the same problem. Battery is full charged. Mavic 2 zoom dont have tellemetry of battery and dont work. Do you have manual to repair this problem? Refresh original firmware not working. Brick in 80% updating... Txh for answer
2020-9-13
Use props
ktiura
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_DemdAH3KSMxF Posted at 9-13 12:21
Hello i have the same problem. Battery is full charged. Mavic 2 zoom dont have tellemetry of battery and dont work. Do you have manual to repair this problem? Refresh original firmware not working. Brick in 80% updating... Txh for answer

You must contact DJI Care support and explain the issue and they will make you create a video document they can watch to determine if it's worth you sending the battery(ies) to them for replacement.
If you're under current DJI Care Refresh status and the battery is faulty they'll probably replace it for free as they did mine. You will have to make a video that shows the battery serial number, you putting it fully charged into the drone and showing that in the app it isn't registering, etc. DJI will tell you what they require.
2020-9-13
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

fansf803da10 Posted at 5-17 21:04
My Mavic Pro batteries have been charging less than 40 times and both are swelling/inflated. Any other victims out there !?[Image]

replace as early as possible.
2020-9-15
Use props
djiuser_pbfnaajUiUl1
New
United States

Same thing happening with me. Any updates from DJI Natalia? I would love to fix this without sending my battery in.
2021-6-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules