Hobbyist versus commercial pilot
806 5 2019-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MadMadMat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2097874 ft
United States

I have a question.. I am registered at iFly is a hobbyist it's all for fun Since I am a hobbyist I can fly 24/7 at night in the daytime whenever. In the nighttime I can see it four times the distance I can see it in the daytime so I really enjoy flying at . But I also know several Realtors and other people fluid pay me to take pictures for them if I get my commercial license. From what I read if you are commercial you cannot fly 30 minutes after Sunset without a special permit. Is there a way to have both types?

Obviously anything I'm doing for money would probably be shot during the day time anyways but anything I'm doing for fun much of it happens after Dark. For the little bit of extra money I would get from my hobby with a commercial license it would not be worth giving up the night-time flights for myself.

Is there a way to do both? From everything I read at the FAA I'm still unclear so hopefully somebody here can clarify this for me thank you in advance.
2019-2-2
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

Please excuse the words that don't make sense I am using voice to text on my tablet I'm pretty sure as you read it you will be able to figure out what I am asking thanks again
2019-2-2
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Even if you had your 107 you still can fly as a hobbyist. Your only consider a commercial pilot when your being paid at the time your flying.
2019-2-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day MadMadMat. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on the said inquiry. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-3
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-3 00:29
The rules for professionals only apply while working for compensation. A professional flying as a hobbyist, follows the hobbyist rules...

Thank you for the replies I was hoping that was how it was but when the governments involved you never ever know. Thank you for the information
2019-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules