Why doesn't Smart Controller show up attached with usb
13915 22 2019-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Okay, I've asked before but have not gotten a specific reply regarding the fact that the Smart Controller does not show up in my Computer as a drive or drives when connected via usb.  I am using the usb cable that came with the Smart Controller.  I have tried both usb3 and usb2 ports.

When I plug it in, I hear the usb-gong sound.  I then respond to the "charge/file transfer/photo tranfer" options by picking File Transfer.  Nothing shows up in my computer (win7).  On the other hand, if I pick "transfer photos" I have access to two folders on the smart controller.  I can move files to/from.  

But I really would like access via usb to the remaining file types on the controller including logs and txt records.

I did a bit of sleuthing and have seen these two Driver Errors.  But attemtping to update the drivers provides no changes or additional drivers.

(edited to add: I just hooked it up to win10 surface book - still don't see drives and got driver error there, too)

Here's screenshots of my error prompt boxes:

driver2.jpg
Smart Controller Driver issue.jpg
2019-2-3
Use props
Sunstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 960732 ft
United Kingdom

This happened to me.

My Windows 10 machine wouldn't see the drives either although it recognised when it was plugged in.

I tried all sorts but I fixed it by installing the latest version of Assistant 2 (V2.06). It installs the correct driver for Windows. Yes - The driver wasn't installed on mine initially like you.

Just another note though...when you plug the controller in it displays 3 options on the screen. Only choosing the first option 'Charge the device' makes Assistant 2 recognise the device where choosing the other 2 options makes the drives (and your files) accessible  from within 'My Computer'.

I hope that helps.
2019-2-3
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Sunstone Posted at 2-3 12:30
This happened to me.

My Windows 10 machine wouldn't see the drives either although it recognised when it was plugged in.

I will give it a try on my desktop, win7 computer.  (I think that i did install that version but who knows!!!)

I have not installed Assistant on the Surface thingie!
2019-2-3
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Looks like you are missing Composite  ADB Interface device driver for the Smart Controller....
2019-2-3
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-3 12:41
Looks like you are missing Composite  ADB Interface device driver for the Smart Controller....

Yes, but where to find it/them/those!

I just installed the 2.06 Assistant.  I saw that some drivers did install.  But still NO File transfer drives/folders show up.   The Photo transfer still shows up.  I hear the gong for either of those selections but does not work.

I just checked Device manager and I have two yellow exclamation points.  But update/driver does not find anything - on computer or online.
2019-2-3
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

ff22 Posted at 2-3 12:47
Yes, but where to find it/them/those!

I just installed the 2.06 Assistant.  I saw that some drivers did install.  But still NO File transfer drives/folders show up.   The Photo transfer still shows up.  I hear the gong for either of those selections but does not work.

Assuming Windows 7:

1. right click adb interface device or whatever you can associate with that
2. install driver software
3. Browse my computer for driver software
4. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
5. Microsoft
6. Composite ADB Interface
7. Profit
2019-2-3
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-3 12:55
Assuming Windows 7:

1. right click adb interface device or whatever you can associate with that

Okay!!!   How many UPVOTES can I give you??/   

I did it for the two YELLOW Exclamation points.  I now can see INSIDE my controller.

Thanks a lot.  

I may go down and do it on the Surface, too.  Win10 - does that change things?

Now should I jinx things and ask why these things did not (do not) get the drivers right when installing the DJI software or when plugging the smart (I tend to call it semi-smart) in and the computer says "looking for drivers"  - yeah, I know!  As a former, very former cobol programmer - computers do what they want!
2019-2-3
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

ff22 Posted at 2-3 13:23
Okay!!!   How many UPVOTES can I give you??/   

I did it for the two YELLOW Exclamation points.  I now can see INSIDE my controller.

Glad it worked for you.
Win10 is just a bit too picky about certificates and stuff but you should be able to do the same with them.
2019-2-3
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4917329 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

Not sure if you have seen my post about my smart controller being hung at the start up screen.

However I’m convinced it’s stucj there beaxuse rhe ingernal memory is full, and hence why it can’t update the firmware either.

I’ve tried getting to see the Sc as a drive on all sorts of machines, but no success until a small step last night.

I used my daughters Surface Pro, installed assistant 2 on it, my god that was hard, then when plugging in the Sc, I actually got the bong for a connect, first time ever.

At one point I did see the yellow icon for the Rm500, but I can’t seems to see it as a drive anywhere.

Any ideas please? I feel,like I’m close now to seeing the files, and then being able to delete them! Hopefully!

Thanks in advance.
2019-3-8
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 3-8 23:59
Hi Guys,

Not sure if you have seen my post about my smart controller being hung at the start up screen.

Some clarity?  Where are you seeing a Yellow Icon?   In MyComputer?  Or under Devices/USB?  

In order for the Controller to show up as a drive, you need to change from CHARGING to "file sharing" (it generally shows up as the second option).  To do that you need to Swipe down on the smart controller (I know you have issues as to what is happening on the controller).  Usually, there's a Notification in the upper right.  Tap that and then it will show "charging" and two other options.  You want File Transfer.

Now if the usb is the issue, you need to follow his steps to get the right driver installed.   What I found odd was that my Win7 desktop had to have the drivers installed.  But I have two different Surface's with Win10!  One worked fine - no driver problems.  The other acted just like the Win7 and I had to get the driver correct.

Also, when I first connect the usb, sometimes, I have to select FILES more than once or bounce back to Charge and change back to Files once or twice.  You do that, again, with the Swipe/Notification process.  Again, sometimes more than once.  So a bit touchy!

Not the clearest explanation but as best I can do.  It is too bad you can't get to the main settings on the SC where you can get it back to factory start.

2019-3-9
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 3-9 07:51
Some clarity?  Where are you seeing a Yellow Icon?   In MyComputer?  Or under Devices/USB?  

In order for the Controller to show up as a drive, you need to change from CHARGING to "file sharing" (it generally shows up as the second option).  To do that you need to Swipe down on the smart controller (I know you have issues as to what is happening on the controller).  Usually, there's a Notification in the upper right.  Tap that and then it will show "charging" and two other options.  You want File Transfer.

Great feedback!

I don’t think it was a yellow icon, just the picture of the rm500.

Still can’t seem to navigate to it though!

Here’s what I see.

2019-3-9
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 3-9 11:02
Great feedback!

I don’t think it was a yellow icon, just the picture of the rm500.

Hmmm.  I think you need to be in Win's DEVICE Manager (not my computer).   The place where you can see monitor and cpu and comports and mice and specifically USB and Com Port devices.  You need to be connected to the SC.  Look and see if any of them have Yellow Exclamations.  Then try updating/installing the drivers as he noted above.  Drill down as the options unfold.
2019-3-9
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 3-9 11:26
Hmmm.  I think you need to be in Win's DEVICE Manager (not my computer).   The place where you can see monitor and cpu and comports and mice and specifically USB and Com Port devices.  You need to be connected to the SC.  Look and see if any of them have Yellow Exclamations.  Then try updating/installing the drivers as he noted above.  Drill down as the options unfold.

Yep I spent most of me time there, sorry didn’t take a picture though!,
2019-3-9
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 3-9 11:26

We’ve tried the yellow, icons thing too, none listed when connected to the SC sadly.
2019-3-9
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We’ve tried a few more options today.

We downloaded the commmand line tools, Whitchurch include the Adb tools.

So using adb devices, we can see our device.

However we can’t so anything with it, so no read or write, because it keeps saying the device is unauthorised.

The errors are relating to adb_vendors_keys variable string not being set.

I think we have exhausted all the options now.
2019-3-10
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 3-10 05:30
We’ve tried a few more options today.

We downloaded the commmand line tools, Whitchurch include the Adb tools.

I don't know anything about those command line tools.  

It appears that there is no way for you to gain access internally to clear/reset the device on your own.  

Options: return it entirely and order a new one if possible.  Or have DJI repair it.  Good luck.  Frankly, reading here and on the other popular forum, I've not read of anyone having your particular issue - so hopefully a one-time deal.
2019-3-10
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 3-10 06:28
I don't know anything about those command line tools.  

It appears that there is no way for you to gain access internally to clear/reset the device on your own.  

Yes let’s hope it’s a one off incident.

Our problem is that we use our Mavic 2 Pro for our community drone business so it earns a living.

We bought the drone as a bundle wirh the new smart controller so we don’t have the original controller to use as a backup.

We would buy another smart controller and send this one back, but I’m sure they would send a replacement, then we would be stuck wirh one drone and two controllers.

The other issue is that there are no physical smart controllers in stock at any resellers for shipment.

So it seems we are stuck with a drone we can’t use at all for quite some time.
2019-3-10
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

I could not get it connected either, here are the screen shots that worked for me. WIN 10.

2019-3-12
Use props
RWPilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48940 ft
United States

Thanks for the WIN10 screen shots, when I followed them on my Dell PC I got the warning in this picture. Do you think is it safe to proceed?
20190330_133805[1].jpg
2019-3-30
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We have not tried connections our new controller as yet.

Will make sure we do so later today.

And take some screen shots too.
2019-3-31
Use props
Normf
lvl.1

Hi, I'm having trouble down loading images from my Smart Controller. I've followed all the advice here (I'm on Win 10) and cannot find MTP drivers .  If I take out the SD card and put in PC (which I don't like doing as they are easily damaged) I cannot find the media files but can see them full size on the controller (eg 10mb images etc). I'm a photographer first and the drone was a means to an end (Pro2). So frustrating trying to get images off the controller!! Any other suggestions please?
2019-9-6
Use props
Normf
lvl.1

One additional thing I noticed, when contects and I go through steps to tranmsfer photos, the status light on my comrollers is still red :
On top of Smart Controller are a series of blinking and flashing lights that provide you status information about what is going on.

Yellow Blinking – Low battery warning
Cyan Blinking – Control sticks are not in position
Red Blinking – The temperature of the Smart Controller is too high, or the battery is low
Steady Red – The Smart Controller is not connected
Steady Green – The Smart Controller is connected
Steady Yellow – The Smart Controller firmware update failed
2019-9-6
Use props
ff22
Second Officer

Normf Posted at 9-6 06:44
One additional thing I noticed, when contects and I go through steps to tranmsfer photos, the status light on my comrollers is still red :
On top of Smart Controller are a series of blinking and flashing lights that provide you status information about what is going on.

Check out replies 7 and 25.  It is still an awkward process to drill down and get the drivers installed.  But I've got it working on three computers.  
2019-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules