Firmware Update Issues
659 10 2019-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eblvslmb
lvl.1
United States

Hi All,

I bought a P4 Standard a few weeks ago and it flew great! I did the obligatory firmware update to 02.00.0700 and started having issues with it not wanting to hold position, vibration, and the motors seem to be getting hotter. I downgraded back to 02.00.0106 and it didn't clear up the issues.

Any suggestions that would help to resolve these issues so I can get back the great flying machine that I bought would be greatly appreciated.
2019-2-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to refresh the firmware of your Phantom 4 via DJI Assistant 2? After that, please try to calibrate your drone so we can check. If the issue persists, please let us know for further help. Thank you.
2019-2-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would update to the 02.00.0700 version again as there were known problems with 0106. Also make sure the RC is at V1.9.3 otherwise there will be transmission problems.

Regarding stability you could always carry out the aircraft and RC calibrations:-

There are five calibrations on the P4:-

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2 , latest version).

2) IMU (on a dead level surface)

3) Gimbal (just after IMU).

4) RC sticks (with aircraft off).

5) And compass (in an open area (not over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference). Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation. Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc) will generate a 'compass error', this does not mean compass needs recalibration. just move the aircraft away from source of interference.
2019-2-3
Use props
eblvslmb
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-3 16:01
I would update to the 02.00.0700 version again as there were known problems with 0106. Also make sure the RC is at V1.9.3 otherwise there will be transmission problems.

Regarding stability you could always carry out the aircraft and RC calibrations:-

Do I also need to update each of the 4 batteries and if so, how do I do that?
2019-2-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eblvslmb Posted at 2-3 16:13
Do I also need to update each of the 4 batteries and if so, how do I do that?

You can check the batteries by powering up the aircraft with each battery in turn, and run Assistant 2. If battery firmware needs updating then assistant 2 will just say 'update required'. Although it will only  update the battery if needed, which takes less than ten minutes to complete if I remember correctly.
2019-2-3
Use props
eblvslmb
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-3 16:00
Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to refresh the firmware of your Phantom 4 via DJI Assistant 2? After that, please try to calibrate your drone so we can check. If the issue persists, please let us know for further help. Thank you.

Hi Natalia,

I updated to 02.00.0700 and calibrated everything as you requested via DJI Assistant 2. RC is V1.9.3 and calibrated too. The drone is still not well. Is there anything else that I can do to get it back to how it was operating before I updated the firmware?  
2019-2-4
Use props
eblvslmb
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-3 16:19
You can check the batteries by powering up the aircraft with each battery in turn, and run Assistant 2. If battery firmware needs updating then assistant 2 will just say 'update required'. Although it will only  update the battery if needed, which takes less than ten minutes to complete if I remember correctly.

Thank you for your help, Aardvark! I genuinely appreciate it.
2019-2-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eblvslmb Posted at 2-4 16:15
Hi Natalia,

I updated to 02.00.0700 and calibrated everything as you requested via DJI Assistant 2. RC is V1.9.3 and calibrated too. The drone is still not well. Is there anything else that I can do to get it back to how it was operating before I updated the firmware?

The propellers are intact and not damaged in any way, and all propeller mounting screws tight ?
2019-2-4
Use props
eblvslmb
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-4 16:21
The propellers are intact and not damaged in any way, and all propeller mounting screws tight ?

Yep. The props are quick-mount black and silver. The black motors seem to be heating up a bit more than they should.
2019-2-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eblvslmb Posted at 2-4 16:24
Yep. The props are quick-mount black and silver. The black motors seem to be heating up a bit more than they should.

Can I ask, how are you seeing this vibration, is it showing as a 'Jello' affect in the video ?

Are all the motors rotating freely by hand ?

I assume that this was not a new P4 as production stopped a good while ago.
2019-2-5
Use props
eblvslmb
lvl.1
United States

There is no noticeable Jello effect on the screen. I have not recorded during the very short test flights. The motors turn freely by hand.
The drone was purchased used and it flew great until I updated the firmware.
I am about 6 months into drone piloting. I have 3 hobby drones, 1 Spark and bought the P4 to use in a surveying and mapping course that I am taking.
2019-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules