Osmo Pocket Wireless module won't let me just connect with bluetooth
7225 10 2019-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
webbedgiant
lvl.2
United States

It automatically turns on my wifi to connect to the pocket. Is there any way to only use a bluetooth connection? Thought that was the whole point...
2019-2-4
Use props
webbedgiant
lvl.2
United States

Essentially my phone cant stream music or load web pages while connected to the Pocket as it registers the phone on the Pocket's "wifi".
2019-2-4
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

I *think* they're using BT to establish a WiFi direct connection.  I don't believe that BT has the bandwidth to support the connection, so WiFi ends up being the only option for doing this wirelessly.  I suppose they could have a mode that let you use your device via BT as a remote (w/o video), but I don't suspect that's high on the list of improvements.
2019-2-4
Use props
webbedgiant
lvl.2
United States

CruiseHabit Posted at 2-4 09:42
I *think* they're using BT to establish a WiFi direct connection.  I don't believe that BT has the bandwidth to support the connection, so WiFi ends up being the only option for doing this wirelessly.  I suppose they could have a mode that let you use your device via BT as a remote (w/o video), but I don't suspect that's high on the list of improvements.

I guess my question then is...how am I supposed to have a functioning phone when it's connected to the Pocket's wifi the entire time lol...I have to disconnect every time I want to get data on my phone?
2019-2-4
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

webbedgiant Posted at 2-4 09:58
I guess my question then is...how am I supposed to have a functioning phone when it's connected to the Pocket's wifi the entire time lol...I have to disconnect every time I want to get data on my phone?

I had the same issue with my main iPhone and I needed WIFI/BT to also control my GoPro camera, but it couldn't be done while I was controlling the Osmo Pocket wiressly.  A simple solution for me was to use a smaller older iPhone I already had exclusively for the OP and it works flawlessly.  That way, it frees up the wifi on my main phone for other uses.  It may not be the most ideal solution, but we all have a backup phone collecting dust somewhere.  
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that the mobile device couldn't access the wireless module via bluetooth only unless we connect to it via wi-fi, however, we would consider this as a suggestion to see if the wireless module could support bluetooth connection only for our customers to maximize the wi-fi of their mobile devices. Thank you for understanding.
2019-2-4
Use props
Fresh!
lvl.1
United States

Friends, thank you for this clarification. I just recently ordered an Osmo pocket straight from the factory and so far i'm impressed, in fact, i love it. I can see its potential in many various aspects, at least for me.

That said, i was confused about the Wifi/Bluetooth connection, i was under the impression the wireless module worked using bluetooth, as that's what is shown on the icon when the wireless accessory is attached to the bottom and a message appears on the display, offering a choice between 'Smartphone Adapter' and 'BLUETOOTH'.

Now i understand that WIFI is REQUIRED in order to use the OsmoPocket/Galaxy 9s (or any phone)  combination (using the official adapter), and that the bluetooth only sends the necessary info for the Osmo pocket to connect with the WIFI.

Given limitations on bluetooth, i guess there's no better solution.

In the meantime, keep up the good work, i think some of us really appreciate the technology.
2019-3-13
Use props
fansd1bd5fcd
New
Flight distance : 802841 ft
  • >>>
United States

On Android you can change the connection setting so that the phone will use data if the wifi has no internet connection.  That's solved my issue.
2019-7-13
Use props
jake
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-4 14:34
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that the mobile device couldn't access the wireless module via bluetooth only unless we connect to it via wi-fi, however, we would consider this as a suggestion to see if the wireless module could support bluetooth connection only for our customers to maximize the wi-fi of their mobile devices. Thank you for understanding.

Tony, can you explain to me, then, what the difference is between connecting via blue tooth and connecting via wifi...if they both use wifi in the end.

I'm doing something specific, which is that I'm broadcasting my iphone screen via an app called Airstream, so that I can project it live. I had it working GREAT! And now it's not working. I think when it was working it was connecting via blue tooth and now it's going straight to wifi without giving me the option to accept blue tooth. And the difference seems to be that right now, my phone is connected to the Pocket via wifi, but staying on data. I need it to show the wifi connection in order to connect to the third party app. So I'm confused how to get that blue tooth connect back and why it's different if both ways are using wifi. (Also, I literally got my pocket today, so I might be missing something). I know this is a bit specific, but any advise would be greatly appreciated.
2019-8-14
Use props
djiuser_CxqWK99q3tNT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 517198 ft
Israel

fansd1bd5fcd Posted at 7-13 10:06
On Android you can change the connection setting so that the phone will use data if the wifi has no internet connection.  That's solved my issue.

How do you do this?
2019-9-1
Use props
djiuser_CxqWK99q3tNT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 517198 ft

fansd1bd5fcd Posted at 7-13 10:06
I have tried this, but no possibilty to surf the Net when the osmo pocket is connected to the wifi and  data is always on. Do I have to do anything else to make it work?
2019-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules