Warning that Current RTH Route will Pass a No Fly Zone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
master chief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116634 ft
United States

Hello all: I have very little experience and have become nervous about  a warning on my PH4A controller that states the following: Current RTH route will pass a no fly zone-pay attention to the aircrafts position to avoid RTH failure.  This is curious because I am flying on my own property about 6-12 miles away from a small airport.  The DJi maps show nothing indicating a NFZ anywhere close by.  There is a small power company dam about 2 miles NE of my property.  One time I received the warning just a few seconds after liftoff, obviously a mistake.   I only saw one of these warnings in real time since I was intent on watching the AC.  I investigated the warning page in the RC, and almost had a heart attack  when I realized my bird might have been in trouble.  As far as I know the AC,RC system is working correctly.  I have been practicing ATTI mode some lately but can't find a connection with the warning.  I'm sorry this is so long.  Thanks for reading and in advance for any help/advice offered.  As you might guess if you knew I am an old retired nuclear submarine sailor that I expect thing to work as designed and all warnings are to be taken seriously.  I want my RTH to work perfectly every time.  Again Thanks
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing your experience. With regards to that if you have doubt flying in the location or just to confirm as well you may check the location here https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map if the location is part of the no-fly zone.  Make sure always you have enough GPS so that there will be no problem when using the returning to home function. Best regards and Fly safely. Cheers!
2019-2-4
Use props
master chief
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-4 11:10
Hi there, thank you for sharing your experience. With regards to that if you have doubt flying in the location or just to confirm as well you may check the location here https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map if the location is part of the no-fly zone.  Make sure always you have enough GPS so that there will be no problem when using the returning to home function. Best regards and Fly safely. Cheers!

Thanks for your reply DJI Gamora.  Let me further explain.  I have checked the map and just did so again.  The only thing is an authorization zone for a local airport about 6-7 miles away in a straight line.  That should have no effect on my flights on my 40 acre property where my flight take place.
2019-2-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Can I suggest you give us your location?  We can then look and check to see if we see anything which might not be apparent to you.  
2019-2-4
Use props
master chief
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-4 12:30
Can I suggest you give us your location?  We can then look and check to see if we see anything which might not be apparent to you.

Hey Mark the Droner.  Thanks for the reply. My location is 33.910189,-87.101293 Walker County Alabama.  I just had a short flight and got the warning again very close to where I was standing.  I also go the warning this morning inside the house while checking and updating.  By the way, everything is up to date and current.  I purchased the drone new about 12 Dec. 2018.
2019-2-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

master chief Posted at 2-4 15:14
Hey Mark the Droner.  Thanks for the reply. My location is 33.910189,-87.101293 Walker County Alabama.  I just had a short flight and got the warning again very close to where I was standing.  I also go the warning this morning inside the house while checking and updating.  By the way, everything is up to date and current.  I purchased the drone new about 12 Dec. 2018.

Hi Chief.  Yeah, I am ex Navy.  :-)

Okay - it looks to me like you're roughly a mile from the Walker County airport warning zone of the Walker County airport which is located quite a bit further to the west of you.  You're almost perfectly aligned with the runway which is unfortunate.  But you're far enough away that it shouldn't affect you provided you stay within the FAA AGL height rules.  So it seems to me the warning you see on your app is simply advising you of the situation.  And even if you happened to wander into that warning zone, it's just a warning zone, so it won't affect your flight.  What you don't want to do is fly behind that airport by making a semi-circular path so that your AC is located to the west of the airport and then lose the control signal, because then you'd have a problem.  I don't think that's likely without some modifications to your controller.  

See this site below.  

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

First - click on the Warning Zone box and the Enhanced Warning Zone box which is below the map.  Then paste your coordinates into the search box and enter.   If you don't see any changes or zones, zoom in and out with the map and you should see some zones appear.  

Good luck

2019-2-4
Use props
master chief
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-4 15:37
Hi Chief.  Yeah, I am ex Navy.  :-)

Okay - it looks to me like you're roughly a mile from the Walker County airport warning zone of the Walker County airport which is located quite a bit further to the west of you.  You're almost perfectly aligned with the runway which is unfortunate.  But you're far enough away that it shouldn't affect you provided you stay within the FAA AGL height rules.  So it seems to me the warning you see on your app is simply advising you of the situation.  And even if you happened to wander into that warning zone, it's just a warning zone, so it won't affect your flight.  What you don't want to do is fly behind that airport by making a semi-circular path so that your AC is located to the west of the airport and then lose the control signal, because then you'd have a problem.  I don't think that's likely without some modifications to your controller.  

Hey  Mark the Droner go Navy.  I am confused about "see the site below."  Are you talking about the DJI
GEO zone map?  If so, I haven't found the warning zone or enhanced zone.  I'm sorry that I don't understand some of this so bear with me.  I appreciate you helping me.
2019-2-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

master chief Posted at 2-4 15:55
Hey  Mark the Droner go Navy.  I am confused about "see the site below."  Are you talking about the DJI
GEO zone map?  If so, I haven't found the warning zone or enhanced zone.  I'm sorry that I don't understand some of this so bear with me.  I appreciate you helping me.

Click on the link.  Scroll down to just below the map.  See the title DJI GEO Zones.  Just below that are little colored circles and names and little boxes you can click.  This might be easier if you were on a desktop or laptop.  

It's not clear to me why you would get a warning worded the way your warning is worded.  You'd have to be flying far to the west to have your RTH path blocked by a so-called NFZ.  
2019-2-4
Use props
master chief
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-4 15:58
Click on the link.  Scroll down to just below the map.  See the title DJI GEO Zones.  Just below that are little colored circles and names and little boxes you can click.  This might be easier if you were on a desktop or laptop.

Well finally Mark the Droner I understand.  I estimate that I am about 2 miles from the airport warning zone and about 2 miles from the Lake Lewis Smith Dam warning zone to my north,  northeast.  I would never fly in those areas. but I am concerned about the go 4 app not letting me use RTH as the warning threatens.  Should I worry about this or just ignore the warning now that I know what they mean?
2019-2-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

If you're just flying within your own 40 acre lot, I don't see how in the world an RTH path would be blocked.  In fact, I don't even know how an RTH would even happen - 40 acres is a nice sized lot but it's nothing in the RC world.  You shouldn't lose your control signal at any time.  So IMO, I wouldn't worry about it.  

Good luck.
2019-2-4
Use props
master chief
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-4 16:18
If you're just flying within your own 40 acre lot, I don't see how in the world an RTH path would be blocked.  In fact, I don't even know how an RTH would even happen - 40 acres is a nice sized lot but it's nothing in the RC world.  You shouldn't lose your control signal at any time.  So IMO, I wouldn't worry about it.  

Good luck.

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate your willingness to help new drone guys like me.  Again, Thanks
2019-2-4
Use props
master chief
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora I still need DJI to help with this problem.  Mark the Droner was very helpful in explaining that I was within 2 miles of a warning zone.  I however am not even close to a NFZ as warned in the warning message.  I am afraid to fly with the possibly of RTH failure as threaten in the warning message.  Please to advise me how to proceed.  I have read of possible flyaways of spark drones after this message put their drone in atti mode unexpectedly.  I don't want to lose my new drone. just when I'm learning how much fun it can be.  Thanks for your help.
2019-2-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

HI Master Chief,

Let me just make a few points.

Let's say you RTH and you travel towards a so-called NFZ which won't let you enter.  I can assure you the AC will not go into ATTI mode.

I've read about some ACs that can RTH along their original flight path.  If yours would do that, it would solve your problem.  You should research that.

Rest assured your AC won't go into ATTI mode and then fly away somewhere.  Not unless you have some kind of serious problem completely unrelated with your NFZ/RTH problem.   The only way to go into ATTI mode is to lose your satellites or to do it deliberately (or have a technical failure on the AC).  And even if you went to ATTI mode deliberately, it would still RTH.  

I think when you're new to this, trying to worry less is a good thing.  I've been flying four years and still haven't lost an AC.  Zero fly aways.  Zero almost-flyaways.   Zero compass problems during flight.  Zero GPS problems during flight.  Do your pre flight checks before launch and you'll be fine.  Whether they be a P1 of P4, these Phantoms are rock solid.  

Good luck
2019-2-5
Use props
djiuser_vHoeslWrDhdM
New

United States

Hi guys!!

I have a question, i got the same warning while I was flying my mavic air in the Hudson river. I was far away from the edge when the air craft start landing by then self.....  I canceled and I run back in sport mode. I think the only difference is the RTH was mark in a not fly zone. Please if anyone can explain me i almost got a heart attack .
2021-8-6
Use props
Mahesh2
New

India

Phantom 4 advance plus unloking no flyzone
mjeengar92@gmail.com
2021-9-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

You have to be careful when flying near the edge of a restricted zone.  Yes, it's possible the drone will auto-land while in RTH if it flies up to a restricted area.  Not all zones can be unlocked.  Hence, the warning.  Hopefully you would have a good connection and can solve the problem by taking over manually so that you fly home while staying outside of the zone.  Disclaimer:  I don't have a P4.  
2021-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules