Taking Drone to Mexico (Restrictions)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyEye21
lvl.3
United States

Does Anyone Have Recent Experience Traveling To Mexio With Drone?

Considering Not Taking My Drone to Cancun Mexico as There Are Several Horror Stories Online.

Customes:: Can impose a 16% Tax on your $2,000.00 drone if invoices are not available and/or impose a tax anyways.
Customes::  Do You Wish To Declare Anything Sir?  Do I say YES?  I have a drone, or say nothing

Bribes:  Offering Cash to Corrupt Officials Is Common or Your Flight May Be Missed

You should NOT place drone batteries in your checked baggage. All drone batteries should be placed in a Medium Size Lipo Battery Bag like the one shown here in the link and brought onto the plane in your carry on bag. Lithium-ion batteries are considered “dangerous goods” by airlines and rules surrounding these batteries on planes are EXTREMELY strict due to multiple incidents of these batteries catching fire. Failure to properly pack lithium-ion batteries in a bag such as the one shown in the link above can result in the airline seizing them, you getting fined, or being denied boarding.

General Rules for Flying a Drone in Mexico

Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Mexico.

• All drones weighing over 250 grams (.55 pounds) must be registered with the DGCA.
  • Learn more about registering your drone in Mexico here.
  • Fly only in daylight.
  • Keep the drone within your visual line of sight and no farther than 1,500 feet away from the operator.
  • Do not fly higher than 400 feet above ground level.
  • Do no fly over people or animals.
  • Do not fly at historical sites such as Chichen Itza.
  • Drones must stay 9.2 kilometers (5 nautical miles) away from any aerodrome.
  • Do not exceed the maximum operating speed for the drone based on its maximum takeoff weight.
  • Drones must not drop objects that may cause damage to people or property.
  • Be sure to follow the drone policies for the hotel or resort at which you are staying.
border=0 />

2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day SkyEye21. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope you'll get the best information here from our valued DJI Members and Customers with there experiences on there travel in Mexico. I addition I will be posting a link where you can check the places where you can fly your DJI Drone in Mexico. Stay safe always and thank you for your support.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-2-5
Use props
SkyEye21
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-5 08:45
Hello and good day SkyEye21. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope you'll get the best information here from our valued DJI Members and Customers with there experiences on there travel in Mexico. I addition I will be posting a link where you can check the places where you can fly your DJI Drone in Mexico. Stay safe always and thank you for your support.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Wow thank you.

I have a question.  If CUSTOMS asks, "Do You Have Anything To Declare?"

Do I say YES, I have a drone, or say nothing?  What do people do in this case if you have knowledge.
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

SkyEye21 Posted at 2-5 14:31
Wow thank you.

I have a question.  If CUSTOMS asks, "Do You Have Anything To Declare?"

Hello SkyEye21. sorry for the late response. I understand that you wanted to bring your Spark in Mexico. I would suggest you contact directly  the local authority and the airlines customer service to know all the rules and regulations when you are carrying a hand luggage. Thanks for your support.
2019-2-6
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

In the last two years I have taken a Phantom 3P, Mavic Pro, two Mavic Airs and a Spark to Mexico and have flown them all.  Made no declaration on entry and no difficulty at security on exit.  This was to Cancun.  I stayed at a resort south of Cancun where I did my flying. The batteries were no concern for the airline.  All items were carried on.
And now for a vacation plug.

2019-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules