Flying into warning zones above restricted altitude
2025 9 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

The obvious answer to this question is "DON'T EVER", which is why I choose my flight locations carefully; however, because I live near an open location (roughly 2 square miles) within a warning zone with an altitude restriction of 60 meters, I would like to know what happens under the following conditions:

• Take off outside of warning zone -- fly to an altitude above 60 meters -- fly into the warning zone above restricted altitude.

And

• Take off within warning zone (restricted to 60 meters) -- fly to an altitude above 60 meters

As you can see from the attached picture, the location in question is near a local airport, which is why I avoid flying here.

I'm just curious what would happen in flight under the conditions mentioned above.

(If this question has been asked before, please just point me to where I can find the answer.)

Thank you!

Doc

DJI Map

DJI Map
2019-2-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I haven't run into this scenario where there is a height restriction -- am curious to see what other folk's experiences have been.

I have run into a RFZ boundary, and can tell you that the bird will warn you when it approaches a restricted zone, and will stop before entering. If the wind blows it into the zone, it will then land. Hope this helps.

2019-2-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

The simple answer would be if it Is not allowed do not attempt to try and fly there
2019-2-5
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

Suren Posted at 2-5 07:56
The simple answer would be if it Is not allowed do not attempt to try and fly there

Yep; agreed. That's why I fly elsewhere. But, that still doesn't prevent the curiosity.

My assumption is that the geofencing stops the drone from entering the zone, but I'm not about to test that theory.

Still curious.
2019-2-5
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2-5 07:34
I haven't run into this scenario where there is a height restriction -- am curious to see what other folk's experiences have been.

I have run into a RFZ boundary, and can tell you that the bird will warn you when it approaches a restricted zone, and will stop before entering. If the wind blows it into the zone, it will then land. Hope this helps.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thank you.

If that scenario occurs (blown into RFZ and forced landing) can you still maneuver during a forced landing situation? (So as to avoid obstacles?)
2019-2-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-5 08:56
That's kinda what I was thinking. Thank you.

If that scenario occurs (blown into RFZ and forced landing) can you still maneuver during a forced landing situation? (So as to avoid obstacles?)

Yeah, descent is fairly slow so I was able to get it to a clearing.
2019-2-5
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I have experienced some combination of the two scenarios.  I live at the very far end of an approach to a runway for a small airport.  My house is in an altitude restricted NFZ  (120m).  I frequently fly around behind our house.  One day I was about a mile away (maybe beyond the NFZ) and took my MA to 120m.  I forgot about the NFZ.  As I was flying home, my aircraft slowed and stopped even though I had the stick pushed forward.  I tried backing up or rolling in any direction but pretty much couldn't move.  I still didn't realize why I was stuck and was starting to get creative to try to free my drone from the spot it was stuck in.  I finally tried RTH and it came back to me (at 120m).  It was only after the flight that I realized what I'd done.  I suspect, if I'd just reduced my altitude, I could have gotten control back.
2019-2-5
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

With this new update I am now in a flight path for an airport and am  limited to 384 feet, I can not go higher with the DJI app....
2019-2-5
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

BKahuna Posted at 2-5 14:18
I have experienced some combination of the two scenarios.  I live at the very far end of an approach to a runway for a small airport.  My house is in an altitude restricted NFZ  (120m).  I frequently fly around behind our house.  One day I was about a mile away (maybe beyond the NFZ) and took my MA to 120m.  I forgot about the NFZ.  As I was flying home, my aircraft slowed and stopped even though I had the stick pushed forward.  I tried backing up or rolling in any direction but pretty much couldn't move.  I still didn't realize why I was stuck and was starting to get creative to try to free my drone from the spot it was stuck in.  I finally tried RTH and it came back to me (at 120m).  It was only after the flight that I realized what I'd done.  I suspect, if I'd just reduced my altitude, I could have gotten control back.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems like you and I share similar topographies, so I'm glad to know what to expect in the event that does happen. Glad your MA made it back to you.
2019-2-6
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2-5 16:05
With this new update I am now in a flight path for an airport and am  limited to 384 feet, I can not go higher with the DJI app....

Assuming you live in/around NYC, I would imagine you have a number of RFZs to navigate.
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules