Batteries Dead for No Apparent Reason
503 13 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cocoexplores
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65092 ft
United States

I've had two batteries completely die, one in midflight went from 50% to 0% instantly - but thankfully it was flying right above me so one was hurt/drone not damaged. Both batteries only had about 20 charges. Anyone else having this issue?

I've lost confidence in these batteries.

2019-2-5
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Mavic Air batteries ?  My Mavic 2 batteries have around 40 charges with zero problems. But I had a Yuneec Breeze battery die less than a month old.
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. With regards to your concern may I ask when did you purchase the battery and If you stored it for a long time? However. Please send some PM proving your email and the serial number of the batteries. Best regards! Thanks!
2019-2-5
Use props
Speedbird84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307762 ft
Belgium

DJI Gamora,

I had the same issue. Reported it to DJI but no answer. Could you please PM me?

Thanks in advance!
2019-2-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

What was your percentage at take off? It has been well documented that takeoff at less than 100% you will receive inaccurate readings. Never start a mission/flight with less than 100% battery.
2019-2-5
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2-5 10:31
Mavic Air batteries ?  My Mavic 2 batteries have around 40 charges with zero problems. But I had a Yuneec Breeze battery die less than a month old.

Mavic Air batteries, only around 20 charges : (
2019-2-5
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 2-5 13:08
What was your percentage at take off? It has been well documented that takeoff at less than 100% you will receive inaccurate readings. Never start a mission/flight with less than 100% battery.

100% on take off
2019-2-5
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I had three Spark batteries with over 100 charges on each and all working perfectly like the first day. I have 4 batteries now on my Mavic Pro with between 50 and 100 charges on all, still all working perfectly fine.
Are you charging the batteries when they are completely cold or while they are still hot or in hot environment?
Just giving some thought on why they might have failed. Also I remember reading somewhere that Mavic Airs firmware was killing the batteries, or was it the Matrice?

Flysafely
Alex
2019-2-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is it about Mavic Air batteries that have so many problems..?  I wonder if my theory on the batteries are slightly under rated for their discharge rate maybe true..?   
2019-2-5
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
United States

Alex B. Posted at 2-5 13:13
I had three Spark batteries with over 100 charges on each and all working perfectly like the first day. I have 4 batteries now on my Mavic Pro with between 50 and 100 charges on all, still all working perfectly fine.
Are you charging the batteries when they are completely cold or while they are still hot or in hot environment?
Just giving some thought on why they might have failed. Also I remember reading somewhere that Mavic Airs firmware was killing the batteries, or was it the Matrice?

Thanks for the ideas. I live in SoCal so it's typically not really hot or cold, and I wait to recharge after fight when battery is "cooled"
2019-2-5
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-5 13:13
What is it about Mavic Air batteries that have so many problems..?  I wonder if my theory on the batteries are slightly under rated for their discharge rate maybe true..?

Are you having battery problems too? The battery problem has made me quite nervous to fly away from me. I'm quite concerned about losing/damaging the drone but more concerned about injuring people/property.
2019-2-5
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
United States

Alex B. Posted at 2-5 13:13
I had three Spark batteries with over 100 charges on each and all working perfectly like the first day. I have 4 batteries now on my Mavic Pro with between 50 and 100 charges on all, still all working perfectly fine.
Just giving some thought on why they might have failed. Also I remember reading somewhere that Mavic Airs firmware was killing the batteries, or was it the Matrice?

Interesting theory. My Mavic Air has not been behaving "quite right" since the last update. I wonder if there is something with the firmware that is causing it???
2019-2-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

cocoexplores Posted at 2-5 13:38
Are you having battery problems too? The battery problem has made me quite nervous to fly away from me. I'm quite concerned about losing/damaging the drone but more concerned about injuring people/property.

i had a couple failures but not a sudden failure.  in both cases it was rapid discharge of one of the internal cells, both times i made it back without a crash, but thats because im not unfamiliar with flying and knowing what to look for in situations where errors.

first one DJI warrantied, which was a bit of a headache going in circles finally got some help from one of the staffers here.  

second one was a battery i got on amazon and the guy or girl that sold it to me was willing to replace it after some testing on my part to see whats wrong.

dji needs to figure out what the issue is, and fix it.  dji also needs to update dji go 4 app so we can toggle things on like voltage on main screen option which is not present with mavic air natively, only way to get that is to sideload the option flying a drone with the option and it enabled then it carries that function over to mavic air.    among so many other things DJI needs to catch up on with mavic air like ability to assign shortcut button to point camera straight down and back up, these two functions are critical to safe flying.. but dji seems keen on ignoring the MA and its problems and easy fixes and solutions
2019-2-5
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-5 15:27
i had a couple failures but not a sudden failure.  in both cases it was rapid discharge of one of the internal cells, both times i made it back without a crash, but thats because im not unfamiliar with flying and knowing what to look for in situations where errors.

first one DJI warrantied, which was a bit of a headache going in circles finally got some help from one of the staffers here.  

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think there's a problem with the software that's affecting the battery and controller.
2019-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules