If you could only carry a couple of ND filters, which ones?
713 13 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

Hello

Im a NOVICE!!! Got an OP for a hike. Researching ND filters, and uses, and wondering what filters, if you could only carry a couple, would be suggested for the widest range. Or is this impossible to answer? Filters weigh nothing but all the cases are what Im trying to avoid.

2019-2-5
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just carry the Pgytech 4 ND PL set (8,16,32,64)/ The case is compact enough to carry in my pocket. I'm a casual user and my main use of ND filter is to just slow down the shutter speed when it's so bright outdoor that the color is on the border of washing out even at the highest shutter speed. I'm not aiming for perfect motion blur but do try to acoid the jerky high shutter look. If you really have to narrow it down to 2, I would take the 16 and 32 as they're the ones I use most often. I don't think you'll need the 64 unless you're in bright sunlight outdoor with a lot of reflections (snow).  
2019-2-5
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 2-5 13:55
I just carry the Pgytech 4 ND PL set (8,16,32,64)/ The case is compact enough to carry in my pocket. I'm a casual user and my main use of ND filter is to just slow down the shutter speed

OK, so you go with the PLs. I thought about that, but didn't know if there was some limitation to having a PL vs non-PL. I was reading another topic, where they were discussing PL and video vs photos...

Thanks for your input!!!
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Onsomehill. Thank you for the inqury. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers with there experiences on what ND Filter they are using on this situations. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-5
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Onsomehill Posted at 2-5 13:58
OK, so you go with the PLs. I thought about that, but didn't know if there was some limitation to having a PL vs non-PL. I was reading another topic, where they were discussing PL and video vs photos...

Thanks for your input!!!

I didn't really have a choice at the time as the Pgytech set was the only set I can get my hand on during my trip last month. That said. They work well and the fix PL does offer some help with high reflections or when the sun is in the screen. Take a look at my one month travel thread and see the results.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
2019-2-5
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Today arrived my cpl filter from China, € 6.50, I don't need more filters.
Für my "big" cameras I have cpl filters from 37mm up to 95mm diameter,
each "top excellent" ... prices  $3.99/$4.99/$5.99 :-)  ... of course you can pay $100
or more
2019-2-5
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 2-5 14:09
I didn't really have a choice at the time as the Pgytech set was the only set I can get my hand on during my trip last month. That said. They work well and the fix PL does offer some help with high reflections or when the sun is in the screen. Take a look at my one month travel thread and see the results.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=177399&extra=page%3D2%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D549%26typeid%3D549

Ha!!! Funny, I was just watching these the other day. Thats why I started asking about which would be the most versatile. Nice videos! Thanks! I'll follow you!
2019-2-5
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I use the standard PolarPro Standard Filter 6-Pack.  They don't come with PL but I still get decent footage.  I mostly use the 18 and 32 filters.  The one thing I don't like about this set is they are hard to remove from the case but other than they are good filters.  
2019-2-5
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 2-5 14:34
I use the standard PolarPro Standard Filter 6-Pack.  They don't come with PL but I still get decent footage.  I mostly use the 18 and 32 filters.  The one thing I don't like about this set is they are hard to remove from the case but other than they are good filters.

Yea, that's why I really like the Pgytech after seeing the case that other manufacturer's filter comes in. They were held magnetically and the slotted casing makes it real easy to take out of the case or remove from the OP even while you're filming.
2019-2-5
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 2-5 14:34
I use the standard PolarPro Standard Filter 6-Pack.  They don't come with PL but I still get decent footage.  I mostly use the 18 and 32 filters.  The one thing I don't like about this set is they are hard to remove from the case but other than they are good filters.

So I bought a set of PP. I can get them out pretty easily with a twist. But I only got the three pack, and I think the 16 has been the best. But I'm not experienced enough to know what I'm missing at this point. It made a nice night shot though. Thanks for the input.
2019-2-5
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 2-5 14:58
Yea, that's why I really like the Pgytech after seeing the case that other manufacturer's filter comes in. They were held magnetically and the slotted casing makes it real easy to take out of the case or remove from the OP even while you're filming.

I was looking for something to carry multiple ones, but have not found a good option. Though about buying some foam rubber and just cutting slots for them. Trying to keep unnecessary weight down.
2019-2-5
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

It is depend on what frame rate are you shooting.
If 24 fps, I will use ND32 as main one and ND16 for shadows.
If 60 fps, I will use ND8 as main one and ND16 for bright places.
2019-2-5
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

ND16 in sunny weather. You will cover most situations with that one.

Best regards, Alexander
2019-2-5
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

filter box from Pgytech.

2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules